Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I get a phone working in my office?

• 19-11-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

I am renting a house that has a separate office which I work from. The office does not have a phone line from main building and please believe me when I say it is a really awkward and long way from main phone entrance that running a cable is not easy. It is also a rental house and landlord is not willing to pay for the cable run.

My network looks like this where I extend from one building to the other using Ethernet over Power adapters. This all works really well except that I do not have a phone in my office. Is there any way to get a phone extended to my office over my current network? I tried phone over power adapters and they did not work. Is there a way for me to get phone over Ethernet?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I am renting a house that has a separate office which I work from. The office does not have a phone line from main building and please believe me when I say it is a really awkward and long way from main phone entrance that running a cable is not easy. It is also a rental house and landlord is not willing to pay for the cable run.

My network looks like this where I extend from one building to the other using Ethernet over Power adapters. This all works really well except that I do not have a phone in my office. Is there any way to get a phone extended to my office over my current network? I tried phone over power adapters and they did not work. Is there a way for me to get phone over Ethernet?

Thanks!

Yes, two wires of the ethernet cable can be used for the phone line ....... they just need to be broken out at both ends and attached.

Else you could use a VOIP set up.

EDIT: Did a quick search .....

Here are some details about how to do it:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-21563_102-554687/using-cat5-to-connect-a-phone-line/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Yes, two wires of the ethernet cable can be used for the phone line ....... they just need to be broken out at both ends and attached.

Else you could use a VOIP set up.

EDIT: Did a quick search .....

Here are some details about how to do it:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-21563_102-554687/using-cat5-to-connect-a-phone-line/

I have no cable run, that's the problem. Ethernet is connected to office using EOP (Ethernet over Power). I am going to need a mini VoIP setup in the house.

Sorry ..... got side tracked and did not read properly :(

BTW, I cannot view your pic ;)
    I tried phone over power adapters and they did not work.

Were you able to determine why?

Seems something like this might have been suitable ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FFNDSG?ie=UTF8&tag=instruction0c-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000FFNDSG

Sorry ..... got side tracked and did not read properly :(

BTW, I cannot view your pic ;)

Were you able to determine why?

Seems something like this might have been suitable ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FFNDSG?ie=UTF8&tag=instruction0c-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000FFNDSG

thanks but that's the exact one I have and it is useless. Works ok for connecting the phone to SAT box but voice quality is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Um, if you've got ethernet running then you can just put a Voip phone onto the same network and it will be fine. Voip phones often have a second port so that you can plug your laptop into them.

• Advertisement

zenith wrote: »
    Um, if you've got ethernet running then you can just put a Voip phone onto the same network and it will be fine. Voip phones often have a second port so that you can plug your laptop into them.

That's what I am looking for! So I need a VOIP phone that plugs into my switch in my office but down in old part of the house where DSL comes in I am going to need some "box" that has PSTN input and network output. What is this "box"?!

Hehehe ..... I am confused again .... :D

Do you want to have the PSTN line in the remote office, or will a VOIP 'line' be sufficient for your needs?

The VOIP set up in the office should not be difficult to do .... although I do not know what effect using ethernet over powerline might have on the voice quality.

maybe a wireless phone (DECT) would have sufficient power, if everything is chosen carefully, to operate in the office using the PSTN line, connected to the base station, in the house.

thanks all. Gave up on this and ran a cable. Now have phone in my office.

Thanks again

Advertisement