Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Gabriel European tour 2013 (UK dates announced)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I just noticed on the ticketmaster page for Peter Gabriel, that for anyone who wants to buy seated tickets, it isn't giving the option as a drop down menu, of checking specific blocks for seats.

Whereas on the page for the Elton John gig in the o2, it allows you to check specific blocks for seats.

I'm just wondering why the option to check a particular block isn't available as a drop down menu for the Peter Gabriel gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I just noticed on the ticketmaster page for Peter Gabriel, that for anyone who wants to buy seated tickets, it isn't giving the option as a drop down menu, of checking specific blocks for seats.

Whereas on the page for the Elton John gig in the o2, it allows you to check specific blocks for seats.

Very odd. It was offering this on the same website for the other pg gigs, the UK ones that went on sale several days earlier!

I'm not sure why this would be the case, but I'm strongly predisposed to believe it's TM up to no good, as usual.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Very odd. It was offering this on the same website for the other pg gigs, the UK ones that went on sale several days earlier!

I'm not sure why this would be the case, but I'm strongly predisposed to believe it's TM up to no good, as usual.

I just checked, out of curiosity and there's a drop down menu for specific blocks for seats for other shows in the o2 including the Eagles (which is also the optimum standing layout), Cirque Du Soleil, Julio Iglesias, Dolly Parton and Miley Cyrus gigs, and also for McBusted - if anyone is so inclined to attend that last one!:D

so indeed, it is strange that the option isn't available for the Peter Gabriel gig.

I just checked, out of curiosity and there's a drop down menu for specific blocks for seats for other shows in the o2 including the Eagles (which is also the optimum standing layout), Cirque Du Soleil, Julio Iglesias, Dolly Parton and Miley Cyrus gigs, and also for McBusted - if anyone is so inclined to attend that last one!:D
    Not especially, but perhaps not the very worst on that list!
    so indeed, it is strange that the option isn't available for the Peter Gabriel gig.

Conspiracy theory that springs to mind first is that ticket sales are tanking, and they're avoiding a map to maintain "illusion of scarcity". Upside!: maybe my PG-favouring buddies will weaken and help form a delegation up from Caaark for said gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I think the options for blocks only start appearing after the show has been on sale for a while, and even then, some are listed as being unavailable. I'm pretty sure I've never seen it appear that way on the day of sale.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement

I think the options for blocks only start appearing after the show has been on sale for a while, and even then, some are listed as being unavailable. I'm pretty sure I've never seen it appear that way on the day of sale.

It's the first time I've noticed that the option isn't there.

As far as I know, they usually allow people to choose particular blocks from the day they go on sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I've been tracking it for a while. They have only really been releasing Block A. In the last few hours they have released Block E, which is more central. I pre-ordered and had to take Block G, but I'm just happy to be going

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

DVD/Blu-ray released this w/end

D3F17915D3A342028A280F0E58FEC6A6-0000362898-0003592340-00500L-B1CF8C3CFCB5431BB01067E79EBE93B5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Really looking forward to this gig now.

Have watched the DVD and it's a brilliant show.

Any guesses as to chucking-out time for this gig? Have to make executive decision between midnight bus home and the 1am one. :) I think there's a "curfew" of about 11pm at the Point^WO2^W3Arena, and I've seen comments on the show at other venues saying "rather short", so I'm guessing the former is relatively safe, even allowing half an hour or so to fight my way across Dublin to whatever obscure lamppost Aircoach is running its buses from.

• Advertisement

A friend was at the Cardiff show earlier this week.

The 2 backing singers come on at 8 (Introduced by PG). They do 5 songs.
    PG on at 8.45 and the show ends at around 11.

Hope that helps!

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Any guesses as to chucking-out time for this gig? Have to make executive decision between midnight bus home and the 1am one. :) I think there's a "curfew" of about 11pm at the Point^WO2^W3Arena, and I've seen comments on the show at other venues saying "rather short", so I'm guessing the former is relatively safe, even allowing half an hour or so to fight my way across Dublin to whatever obscure lamppost Aircoach is running its buses from.

It doesn't take long to get back into town, there are always Luas trams waiting to take people back into town after gigs in the Point. It can take a few minutes to queue to get on the Luas but once it starts moving it takes around 10 minutes to get back into Abbey Street .

It takes about 15-20 minutes to walk back.

I would imagine the gig would be over around 11pm at the latest, but perhaps contact Aiken Promotions to make sure.

Edit: I wrote this next sentence before seeing Lambayire's message above:

If there is no support, then he may be on at 8pm. Roger Waters and Bob Dylan both had no support and they started at 8pm, when they played in the Point in recent years.

If it's the midnight or 1am Dublin - Cork service that you are getting, they leave from Westmoreland Street.

http://aircoach.ie/news/were-back-aircoach-bus-stop-westmoreland-street

http://aircoach.ie/timetables/route-704-x-cork-dublin-city-dublin-airport-express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Just one more sleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Am tempted by this - think there are still tickets.

Not a massive fan but did love the So album which I believe he will play in full. In his earlier years I hear his shows were spectacular theatrical affairs but what does he do now, what will the show be like visually?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The last night of an incredible tour and what a night it was?, simply superb.

52129B50E4754CA5879417307D901BDF-0000362898-0003703056-00640L-E2F3A40357A0422DB1E50E8DA9C23002.jpg

4A9835C252D740A6B4489F5D1C6003A4-0000362898-0003703055-00640L-6B8796B05407470BB887BE71A1963B17.jpg

DDF95ECB991D4E64894BAD8839D76260-0000362898-0003703054-00640L-BF1606BAFD9C4E168615668BC952D5D8.jpg

B96858AA184F4CC094FCFB4524FC92A7-0000362898-0003703053-00640L-62581D6780EC4C949A68ECF704C5BC40.jpg

626054BFAB3249BCA28570D7EA334BE1-0000362898-0003703052-00640L-4F8667B0A8424808B8B9AEB3968E81A0.jpg

B6B6C67DAB414C74BC0620149886E8B5-0000362898-0003703051-00640L-9E04DAFC334F4219A241B68D2409D292.jpg

D467E5A90C634FB49C30FD9F1ABF1D51-0000362898-0003703050-00640L-4820C6CFF1ED458797C6678A7380F613.jpg

84B990D2522E42F5B7C9A7B5CF5878B6-0000362898-0003703049-00640L-A8A1AD86E52249209FE34799031A8E97.jpg

181AF9C2089A4C7B9D9328E6110AA8CE-0000362898-0003703048-00640L-C28FD1586DEC46218EAA2FD606D726E3.jpg

98EC474D546A4B2399063D998C738AA9-0000362898-0003703047-00640L-FF1BA10F8C8040538CE67BF83E872448.jpg

A3AAFEA9C1D74E44870D4DD8EDCE8D70-0000362898-0003703046-00640L-0B6BBFDCC23E4CEFBB03848E43C7C12C.jpg

It was phenomenal. I was on the barrier, which was a great vantage point. Right from the outset, I had a feeling it would be an outstanding show and I was right. I'd not seen the Back To Front show before and I deliberately made a point of not watching the DVD prior to seeing the concert for myself. Best decision ever.
    A full-on production with a super-tight band and a shrewd setlist. So many highlights, but the "loud" section of Secret World was incredible. The Tower That Ate People was terrific. Sledgehammer and Solsbury Hill were such good fun too. Who cares that they're almost the default Gabriel songs for fairweather fans; that doesn't make them any less enjoyable.
    It doesn't quite beat Kate Bush for my gig of the year, but it's the only one that comes remotely close.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Absolutely brilliant gig!

It was phenomenal. I was on the barrier, which was a great vantage point.

I was on the barrier too, despite not having queued, and indeed having been made late by the IW protest. (Oh, how I laughed when some langer, for the craic like, yelled "Irish Water!" during the into to "Biko". Not.) Mind you right at the left side, which I immediately feared was a terrible decision for the opening numbers with Petey on the piano -- could really not see a dang thing. Fortunately much matter with the house lights down, and obviously he moved around quite a bit.

Amazing gig. Not the hottest and sweatiest night out you'll ever have, but pretty dang lively by the standards of strokey-beard arena dates.

Highlight for me -- well, highlight of the highlights, really! -- would have to be "No Self Control". Great song, completely nailed it musically (and I would differ with you that that the whole set was entirely evenly well executed, but not complaining, mind!), and the staging was just epic. Really tried together the whole lichtarbiter shtick, I felt. Short of kidnapping KT and making her sing backing vox, don't know how it could have been bettered.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Digging in the Dirt for me................the power in that song just blew me away. Great gig on every level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Absolutely phenomenal concert!!!

That man can really put on a show. Not a bum note all night and he can still hit the notes he hit 25 years ago. He was in brilliant form last night....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Barrier? Thought this was all seated?

Chelon wrote: »

No. They had the optimum standing area, the small floor configuration. Best place to be.

Sledgehammer and Solsbury Hill were such good fun too. Who cares that they're almost the default Gabriel songs for fairweather fans;.

Had one of those beside me. Sang her heart out as if her life depended on it fof 2 or 3 songs and was on Facebook for the rest of the night. I just don't get that. I mean this was no teenager not in to this genre.

Anyway, I was in awe from start to finish. Peter's voice has the same quality it had 30 years ago. Songs that stand the test of time and a band that almost seems as if they are an extension of himself. My bones are still vibrating after a few thunderous tracks.

Another thing off my bucket list, though I might sneak it back on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Finally managing to put some thoughts on the show after 2 hectic gigs back to back, Peter Gabriels last night and Elton Johns, the night before, ironic how both artists were finishing up their tours in Dublin before their breaks.

On the show, amazing, Peter Gabriels voice is still scintillating and fantastic after all these years, the band itself, was possibilty the best performance i had see all year (up to last night, i thought Elton Johns was!!). Highlights for me were "Digging in The Dirt",(favourite tune of the night) "Growing Up", "Red Rain" and the usual "Sledgehammer" and "Dont Give Up".

Special praise has to go to the backing singers Linnea Olsson and Jenny Abrahamson who were the warm up act playing some fantastic songs plus Abrahamson doing a fine job deputising Kate Bush's rendition of "Dont Give Up", she really did great justice to the song, and her voice ever so beautiful in the song, Kate would have been proud of her.

Lighting on the show was brilliant , loved the movement of the tripod set lights on the moveable circular track, did give that eerie distorted look on the stage and played well into some songs especially "Digging in The Dirt", in fact some of the lighting mixed in with the backround of Gabriels industrial rock type music reminded me of some of Trent Reznors early incarnations with Nine Inch nails

Had seated tickets and had a fantastic view of the stage, although i was slightly envious of those that had standing tickets as the atmosphere looked unbelievable from where i was sitting.

If i could be slightly critical,(and i mean ever so slightly) its a pity that there was no performances of "Games Without Frontiers" or "Blood of Eden", as they are my personal favourites. Also hope of all hopes, i was holding out for an appearance of Kate Bush for "Dont Give Up", i would even have settled for Shinner Sinead to turn up and duet on the song but alas that didnt happen.

Having said that, i loved the gig, was my favourite of the year, I'm now going to go onto Peter Gabriels website and order the live 2cd Dublin performance as i want to relive a fantastic night, i just hope he performs in Ireland again soon as for anybody who has'nt seen him live, it is well worth it getting tickets for his perfromances

Obviously Mike, personal preference comes in to it, but of the versions I have heard, the best partners Peter has had for Don't Give Up are

1. Paula Cole
    2. Kate
    3. Jenny Abrahamson
    4. Sinead (dear God no!)

Chelon wrote: »

They put in all the raked seats, and the flat arc that's left in the middle is all standing, as opposed to putting in non-banked seats (as they do for theatrical productions and concert with an even more ageing fanbase than pg's). Or taking out the removable banking and squeezing in as many standing as will go (as they would for many rawk concerts).

They call this "optimum" standing, as delbert says, presumably on the basis that it's the natural mix of sitting and standing given the architecture of the building, rather than deliberately trying to max out the one or the other.

Obviously Mike, personal preference comes in to it, but of the versions I have heard, the best partners Peter has had for Don't Give Up are

1. Paula Cole
    2. Kate
    3. Jenny Abrahamson
    4. Sinead (dear God no!)

Shockingly, I'd only heard two of those versions. I think SO'C has a great voice, myself, but somehow the mind boggles. (How many anti-WC annoyances can one person stand in any given evening? Maybe they could have had a "climate change" vs "right to water ('so far as is practicable', provided you live in Ireland, have a house, and just happen to be connected to the public system)" live debate...)

Listening to the Paula Cole version (and no questioning it's a great vocal performance), I'm struck by one of the various things that I'm not so keen on about it. Applause after the vocal solos, as indeed also happened last night. Very distracting indeed. Makes me feel I'm suddenly in the "wrong" genre entirely, and have wandered into a honky tonk/easy listening jazz bar by (very serious) mistake. And I say this as someone who'd list Kate right up there in his "all time" list (so I guess said collaboration was always going to have preposterously high expectations on it).

Overall I'm much more taken by Linnea Olsson's voice than Jennie Abrahamson. I've heard her first album (I can't remember exactly why -- I think either she must have pitched up in Cork at some point (at a gig I didn't go to) or else it might have been a recommend from someone), and her voice live last night was even better still. Not that gone on the actual material, mind you. Whether it'd suit "Don't Give Up" may be an entirely different question.

I have to agree with pretty much everything that Mike Guide 69 said.
    I too will be ordering the live 2cd's.

We had such amazing seats. 9 rows back and slap bang in the middle.

Digging in the Dirt and Secret World were my highlights.
    I could listen to Secret World on a loop.

That big thumping bass sound had the floor shaking.
    Was it coming from Tony's keyboard?

The sound and lighting were just perfect.

Jenny was fantastic for Don't Give Up. I too wondered if Kate or Sinead
    might have made an appearance considering it was the last night of the tour.
    My memoreis of the Point gig in 93 was the surprise appearance of Sinead
    and her being very good that night.

The only thing that annoyed me slightly was that I expected folk to be on their feet
    for at least Sledgehammer and then maybe In Your Eyes.

A truly memorable night. Worth waiting for.

lambayire wrote: »
    The only thing that annoyed me slightly was that I expected folk to be on their feet
    for at least Sledgehammer and then maybe In Your Eyes.

Standing up in the seats seems to be quite the controversy in concerts these days, especially in this "age band". Friends of mine report that from an Ultravox reunion gig, which had a Ure-orchestrated "everyone stand up!" moment in it, people were still looking daggers at other people standing up in front of them when they didn't want to.

Though I don't want to sound unsympathetic to other people's ankles. Hellish to be "forced" to stand if it's a serious trial to. Maybe they need to set some sort of group-bidding process for seats! "Blocks B&C will be 'will mostly be standing, though obvs not for the the support or anything crazy, or if we need a bit of a rest for a couple of songs."

• Advertisement

Alaimacerc, I think people applaud the female solo part of Don't Give Up, is to acknowledge the bravery of anyone prepared to take on one of the most iconic pieces from that era. Kate laid down a high standard

Advertisement