Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

400 new jobs? - Irish Independent

• 19-11-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Not in the financial industry.

Cynic in me thinks it is the Vistakon expansion that has been proceeding for a while now, so nothing 'new'. Fingers crossed though...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/noonan-promises-400-new-jobs-as-trinity-research-institute-creates-50-posts-3297412.html

UP to 400 jobs are to be created in Limerick.
    Finance Minister Michael Noonan said the new positions are in the final stages of negotiations but would not elaborate on what industry they’re in.
    Mr Noonan announced the latest jobs boost for the region at the Limerick Chamber Region Business Awards.
    “I can tell you it is true and it is at the final stages of negotiation and it will be a big boost for Limerick,” Mr Noonan said.

............ (click link to read more).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Nwm2 wrote: »
    Not in the financial industry.

Cynic in me thinks it is the Vistakon expansion that has been proceeding for a while now, so nothing 'new'. Fingers crossed though...

............ (click link to read more).

It's a new business that's starting up. Not an expansion of an existing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    It's a new business that's starting up. Not an expansion of an existing one.

Hope so. Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Well if we get 400 new jobs in, from a new company we will have to give them credit. That'll beat 13 years of FF neglect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

ikea anyone ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

redrums wrote: »
    ikea anyone ??

Surely its M+S:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

redrums wrote: »
    ikea anyone ??

Not unless Ikea build massives stores but manage to keep the location a secret until the day it opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not unless Ikea build massives stores but manage to keep the location a secret until the day it opens.

In fairness it did not say when the jobs would be created. I don't think Ikea is such a crazy idea.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

The Limerick Ryan hotel managed it :P
    Any chance its cook medical expanding as they are producing a new fda approved stent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

All a big vague. 400 jobs would be a BIG expansion for most current employers (there aren't that many with more than 400 at the moment). In the current global economy very few existing companies would be willing to commit to that sort of growth even over the next 5 years. However a new call centre or the like could start up with say 100 initially and give a vague non committal "potentially increasing to 400 over the next 5 years". That way the company gets to hedge its bets with the lower number and the IDA/Government get good publicity with the higher number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

According to the Leader the 'jobs are to be based in the city and that an entirely new company are at the final stages of locating here' They also quote Michael Noonan as saying that they aren't in the financial services sector.

It is often said that a new company in the city centre would be great for business' during the work day with lunches etc. but are there actually any premises in which a company of this size could set up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

pigtown wrote: »
    According to the Leader the 'jobs are to be based in the city and that an entirely new company are at the final stages of locating here' They also quote Michael Noonan as saying that they aren't in the financial services sector.

It is often said that a new company in the city centre would be great for business' during the work day with lunches etc. but are there actually any premises in which a company of this size could set up?

I'm racking my brains since hearing of this announcement and I cannot think of any to be honest, not in the city centre itself?

I think Ikea would be a great shout had we not known it's located in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm racking my brains since hearing of this announcement and I cannot think of any to be honest, not in the city centre itself?

I think Ikea would be a great shout had we not known it's located in the city centre.

Would the old Dunnes building on Sarsfield Street be big enough to hold IKEA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Would the old Dunnes building on Sarsfield Street be big enough to hold IKEA?

No chance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Melion wrote: »
    No chance

Not if you had 8 of them, but you are right that this Dunnes is the only place I can think of that could hold a company with 400 employees. M+S could go there alright (stirs pot). Ikeas are absolutely ginormous. The one is Dublin is a decent size, the one in Krakow takes about an hour to get around lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Melion wrote: »
    No chance

The old Dell building in Raheen then perhaps?

There is no way the city centre infrastructure could accommodate IKEA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You cannot retrofit any building for an Ikea without a stupid amount of work. IKea is 3 floors high(including the car park) so no building could handle it. You COULD build one on the M20 somewhere as the motorway could handle it. Ikea in Dublin is a busy car park but the entrance/exit is not busy.

Anyway, it won't be Ikea and I doubt M&S would create 400 jobs. Who knows who it is. I'm still thinking it could be Vistakon even if they say its new business. They could argue that production of a new product is new business.

Well often when you hear of new companies opening in Dublin they say that 'X has purchased the former Y office block on the docks' or whatever. Are there any empty offices around Upper Henry Street? It's not an area of the city I know a lot about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Would Ikea not take over the site of the failed Opera project?? It would be ideal!

pigtown wrote: »
    Well often when you hear of new companies opening in Dublin they say that 'X has purchased the former Y office block on the docks' or whatever. Are there any empty offices around Upper Henry Street? It's not an area of the city I know a lot about.

There is the building at the corner of Lower Cecil Street and Henry Street although 400 people is a bit of a push but the could take the entire upper floors from the Corner of Cecil Street all the way along to Shannon Street, above the old Royal Bank of Scotland building.(I think they are vacant)
    Mc Love wrote: »
    Would Ikea not take over the site of the failed Opera project?? It would be ideal!

Wouldn't be allowed. Transport nightmare. Ikea had to wait for the M50 and the subsequent flyover to be redesigned for them. No chance that location would be picked for anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mc Love wrote: »

Would be too small for an Ikea set up.

Ikea need a huge amount of space for the store alone let alone the car parking space they need. If they ever came to Limerick they would be getting a site to start from scratch on and wthey would need a site that either has motorway aceess or is very close to the motorway. Not a chance of them setting up within the city limits though as there is simply not a site that could offer the room they need.

• Advertisement

I just had a look at Daft.ie and they list a few options. Bearing in mind that I have no idea what size building you would need for 400 employees, the building on the corner of Henry St. and Cecil St. looks too small. Other city centre buildings include the old Instore on Ellen St. and the new building on Thomas St. There's also the possibility of this company buying and finishing the Hanging Gardens development on Henry St. And does anyone know if the old Eircom building beside the Garda Station is empty? I guess it really depends on whether or not this company are willing to invest much money in the premises.

There's also the possibility that they said 'city' to distinguish it from Shannon and so the company could be locating in the suburbs. If that's the case then I think there are a lot more options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Would the building behind instore be big enough?

The Gardai were using the eircom building so I would assume they still are.

I'm going to assume it could be something to do with UL and the opera centre, that idea was floated before with noonan and the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Jobs like IKEA/M&S aren't what we need, all that will do is out the likes of another furniture/grocery stores out of business

Hopefully it will be a new multi national, IT/pharma etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Its Icon, its actually the same job, just rehiring every week for 400 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

zuroph wrote: »
    Its Icon, its actually the same job, just rehiring every week for 400 weeks.

They'll be given an iPad to do twitter updates on, so it will be described as being a "high tech, knowledge economy" job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

liammur wrote: »
    Jobs like IKEA/M&S aren't what we need, all that will do is out the likes of another furniture/grocery stores out of business

Would argue that Limerick needs jobs for unskilled workers as badly as it does for skilled workers, probably even more so.

With close to 25,000 unemployed within the city and county, high volumes of unskilled jobs are badly needed.

An Ikea would bring, based on what their most recect 5 stores within Ireland and the UK did, in circa 500 direct jobs and close to the same in indirect roles. Which is far more than it would cause to go in other stores. An Ikea would also draw large numbers of people to Limerick from other counties. It would then be up to other retailers and service providers to try and attract a percentage of those shoppers whilst they were in the area. I know that many retailers on the Ballymun side of Dublin have recorded an increase in sales since the Ikea store opened there thanks to the thousands and thousands of extra shoppers coming into the area. An Ikea store brings in huge volumes of people to areas that those people would not normally go to, it is up to local authorities, planners, retailers and service providers to make the most of that extra volume atthat point.

Ikea are of course out to make as much as they can wherever they open a store, but there is a huge potential knock on effect, in a positive manner, to the surrounding area if people are prepared to letthe potential shoppers know they are there.

I am struggling to think of any other retail outlet in Europe that has such an impact in terms of bringing tens of thousands of extra shoppers to an area each week, as an Ikea store. An Ikea in Limerick would bring shoppers from Galway, Clare, Tipperary, Cork, Waterford, and the midlands. It would also continue to draw in shoppers from those areas all year round. If those shoppers have other things to attract them in Limerick, then they will be spending money in those places as well.

A single M&S store in Limerick would be a positive thing, but a small drop in terms of helping Limerick as it would really only cater to Limerick based people, but an Ikea store in Limerick would mean potential customers coming from outside of Limerick pretty much every single day that the Ikea store was open for business.

I can safely say that a hell of a lot of business people with no connection to Ikea would be very excited if they were coming to Limerick because it would offer so many extra wallets and purses to go after as new customers than there are here now.

I don't think there is a chance in hell of the potential job announcement in the paper being Ikea, but I would be delighted to see them come to Limerick in the future and I can see it as being an attractive location in geographic terms should they decide on having a second store in the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

liammur wrote: »

not with eircoms infrastructure, or should i say lack of it, that is why limerick lost out to dundalk some months ago on another hi tech project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Not many buildings really that would take that volume of staff except Thomas Street center, that was sold recently so maybe something in that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

flutered wrote: »
    not with eircoms infrastructure, or should i say lack of it, that is why limerick lost out to dundalk some months ago on another hi tech project.
    Here, 3megabits should be enough for anyone! ;-(

Advertisement