Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

400 new jobs? - Irish Independent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is on the front page of this weekend's Limerick leader again.

Another big headline about new jobs and saying that there will be 100 jobs in 2013 from Irish Water and up to a further 300 in 2014.

Then when you read the actual article it points out that these jobs will arrive if Limerick is chosen as the site for the Irish Water call centre, not when Limerick is chosen.

It is now the third time the Limerick Leader has ran a big headline announcing a big job boost for Limerick regarding Irish Water (the Michael Noonan interview, the Joe Leddin interview, and now this weekend's paper) withoutthere being any confirmation at all that Limerick is the actual spot where the jobs will be located.

Real tabloid stuff from the Limerick Leader, which seems to be the norm for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Kess73 wrote: »

Another big headline about new jobs and saying that there will be 100 jobs in 2013 from Irish Water and up to a further 300 in 2014.

Then when you read the actual article it points out that these jobs will arrive if Limerick is chosen as the site for the Irish Water call centre, not when Limerick is chosen.

It is now the third time the Limerick Leader has ran a big headline announcing a big job boost for Limerick regarding Irish Water (the Michael Noonan interview, the Joe Leddin interview, and now this weekend's paper) withoutthere being any confirmation at all that Limerick is the actual spot where the jobs will be located.

Pathetic. Journalism of the worst kind.
    I remember volunteering to do an article for them about 7 years ago on the plight of the local economy if/when things went wrong. No need to tell you the response.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The same article is in todays examiner.

The same article is in todays examiner.

Wonder if there is any link between the Scottish publishing company that own the Limerick Leader, and Crosbie holdings that have the Examiner. They seem to share a hell of a lot of headlines and full articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Wonder if there is any link between the Scottish publishing company that own the Limerick Leader, and Crosbie holdings that have the Examiner. They seem to share a hell of a lot of headlines and full articles.

Absolutely none, there is of course the possibility that it is true, far be from me to defend the LL but there is a lot of speculation on the ground that two big companies are headed our way in the new year, this has already been alluded to by several newspapers and politicians, of course it could be nonsense but time will tell

• Advertisement

Absolutely none, there is of course the possibility that it is true, far be from me to defend the LL but there is a lot of speculation on the ground that two big companies are headed our way in the new year, this has already been alluded to by several newspapers and politicians, of course it could be nonsense but time will tell

I think the issue is more the Leader's tabloid way of throwing up a big headline that suggests the re has been confirmation of some great news for Limerick, and then sticking the fact that it is all ifs and maybes within the body of the article itself.

We all want to see big job boosts here in Limerick, lots of them, but the Leader seems to have a least a dozen misleading frontpage headlines a year about some huge boost to Limerick that never comes.

The fact that they have already had three about the Irish Water jobs within the last six weeks is a bit of a joke given that they all lead with the news of a huge job boost for Limerick and not with the truth which would be a potential jobs boost for Limerick.

This city needs news of real jobs that are coming, not a constant flow of headlines about major projects and huge job boosts that rarely come true.

Limerick (city and county) has close to 25,000 people unemployed, so some real news would be nice to read not misleading headlines that get hopes raised.

After all the waffle from the FG and Labour folks in the paper, along with the Leader splashing headlines, let's hope that the proposed 100 Irish Water jobs for 2013 do end up in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Is there a regulator that this bad journalism can be reported to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Noonan shouldn't be calling these new jobs anyway. They are just part of the greater civil service, another quango almost, and I am sure they could have been filled from within the excess staff already payed within the civil service.

While it would be good for limerick, on a national level they are not really adding value - we all get to pay for these jobs through water rates.

And this being ireland a lot of them will be filled by people taking generous redundancy from the civil service anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Noonan shouldn't be calling these new jobs anyway. They are just part of the greater civil service, another quango almost, and I am sure they could have been filled from within the excess staff already payed within the civil service.

While it would be good for limerick, on a national level they are not really adding value - we all get to pay for these jobs through water rates.

And this being ireland a lot of them will be filled by people taking generous redundancy from the civil service anyway.

I agree, but when these quango jobs were being given out elsewhere around the country, nationally wasn't too concerned about Limerick not getting any.

As for the civil service getting these jobs, that is probably true and sickening. A retired garda/teacher maybe, with lump sum and pensions would get it ahead of a young graduate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

The examiner and the leader will simply be publishing stories based on the latest press releases they get. As I said earlier you just dont announce 400 jobs and then just provide them. The government PR people will make sure this is milked for every possible vote. It will be "announced" several times to make sure every local Fine Gael and Labour politician gets their name attached to this project. Then even when it is up and running there will be numerous "expansion" announcements everytime they hire a few more staff on the way to the 400 total.

The time to worry is when it is not in the local papers and instead some backbencher up the country announces he is working on 400 jobs for his county. That will mean the party hacks will have worked out that Kieran "the invisible man" O'Donnell will struggle to hold his seat nevermind carry in a running mate once Noonan retires. If FG figure no matter what they do they will only have one seat in Limerick then the pressure will be on to move the jobs to a marginal constituency where they might pick up a seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

It is definitley coming to Limerick, the final stages are being sorted at the moment, the big problem is where to put it in Limerick, they have tried to push the Dell building to Fexco but they are not pushed about it as it is too big for their needs and it will only cost more in running costs than is needed, they are now looking for more suitable sites, again its a similar scenario to NAMA trying to force Sky to rent more office space than was needed last year and NAMA almost lost that one for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

touts wrote: »
    The examiner and the leader will simply be publishing stories based on the latest press releases they get. As I said earlier you just dont announce 400 jobs and then just provide them. The government PR people will make sure this is milked for every possible vote. It will be "announced" several times to make sure every local Fine Gael and Labour politician gets their name attached to this project. Then even when it is up and running there will be numerous "expansion" announcements everytime they hire a few more staff on the way to the 400 total.

The time to worry is when it is not in the local papers and instead some backbencher up the country announces he is working on 400 jobs for his county. That will mean the party hacks will have worked out that Kieran "the invisible man" O'Donnell will struggle to hold his seat nevermind carry in a running mate once Noonan retires. If FG figure no matter what they do they will only have one seat in Limerick then the pressure will be on to move the jobs to a marginal constituency where they might pick up a seat.

Most of the job announcements in 2012 are for hiring people over an extended period.

Your thinking is right (100 jobs) i believe will be looked to be filled straight away and then another 300 ( if business is successful) will be looked for over the three to four years.

In fairness though, they're jobs out there, but their scattered all across the country. I'm interested in a few jobs in Cork and Dublin, but it would require me to move if i got job in those places.

Kind of annoying if i had to move i like it here in limerick. Like a few years ago i could choose what job i wanted.

It is on the front page of the Limerick Post this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Pie in the sky it seems. Noonan not delivering much for Limerick really imo. (robbed from broadsheet.ie)

LimerickLeader1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

vkid wrote: »
    Pie in the sky it seems. Noonan not delivering much for Limerick really imo. (robbed from broadsheet.ie)

LimerickLeader1.jpg

Disgrace!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Anyone have a link to the article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

source wrote: »

Cant seem to find any more info on it.

As predicted earlier now is the stage in the PR cycle where some FG/Lab politician gets to step up and "save the day". Is Kieran "the invisible TD" O'Donnell still alive? I assume he is since we never had a by-election. If they can drag him out from wherever he is hiding this is his turn for the PR limelight.

source wrote: »

No, unfortunately. Nothing on their website, and as I say just robbed it from Broadsheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

jokasy wrote: »
    However, Mr Noonan’s bullish words at the Chamber dinner had inspired considerable optimism.

“I can tell you it is true ... and it will be a big boost for Limerick,” Mr Noonan said then.

He was unavailable for comment at the weekend. Those in Limerick who have been close to the process over recent weeks have been left to rue that those comments proved unhelpfully premature.
    Funny how Mr Noonan is unavailable for comment!
    Considering his comments to Chamber of Commerce previously.

I want to see reasons as to why we lost out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Are these the eBay jobs that just went to Dundalk(same company as PayPal)?

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Are these the eBay jobs that just went to Dundalk(same company as PayPal)?

Nope. This was to be the irishwater call centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nope. This was to be the irishwater call centre

As he never really said what they were for, and probably a figment of his imagination, it could have been these eBay ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

According to the original article, he was referring to jobs for Limerick. Ebay/Paypall already have a large site in Dundalk so the 450 jobs announced today were hardly ever on the cards in coming to Limerick but just an expansion of the existing workforce in Dundalk?

Either way it looks like our local polititans/government ministers have failed their constituents once again while all we can do is look on in envy at those polititans who bring jobs to their own door step.

According to a guy interviewed on Drivetime the IDA asked ebay to locate these jobs in Limerick but they opted for Dundalk instead.

bazz26 wrote: »

Either way it looks like our local polititans/government ministers have failed their constituents once again while all we can do is look on in envy at those polititans who bring jobs to their own door step.

Yep, looks like Noonan is about as productive for his constituents as Willie O' Dea was. Very disappointing for anyone who voted for change imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

touts wrote: »
    According to a guy interviewed on Drivetime the IDA asked ebay to locate these jobs in Limerick but they opted for Dundalk instead.

Intersting that Both Waterford and Limerick have been discussing now and in the past jobs that went to Dundalk. I'd be intersted as to why the IDA would have hoped for Ebay to locate in Limerick when they have made significant investment to an existing site elsewhere that isnt near capacity as of yet. I also dont think that the politicians in Dundalk/Louth are particularly strong to be able to influence the choice of FDI jobs! Having said that within the IDA there are some very good people based in the North East who are more likely to to have clout rather than elected representitives. By all means ye can have Peter Fitzpatrick and his associates. As for local press and their poor attempts at tabloidesque sensationalist headlines, well the journos wouldnt be be in local press if they were worth their salt:o thats a nationwide thing imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Nesta99 wrote: »

Intersting that Both Waterford and Limerick have been discussing now and in the past jobs that went to Dundalk. I'd be intersted as to why the IDA would have hoped for Ebay to locate in Limerick when they have made significant investment to an existing site elsewhere that isnt near capacity as of yet. I also dont think that the politicians in Dundalk/Louth are particularly strong to be able to influence the choice of FDI jobs! Having said that within the IDA there are some very good people based in the North East who are more likely to to have clout rather than elected representitives. By all means ye can have Peter Fitzpatrick and his associates. As for local press and their poor attempts at tabloidesque sensationalist headlines, well the journos wouldnt be be in local press if they were worth their salt:o thats a nationwide thing imo

It is also a previously stated fact that this Cities reputation has held it back when it comes to FDI.
    I do believe that these people have tried,maybe not hard enough but still tried to get jobs in Limerick.
    Some people really have no idea how bad a reputation Limerick has jnfortunately.
    The minority of scum that walk these streets have a hell of a lot to answer for

Advertisement