Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

400 new jobs? - Irish Independent

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

banie01 wrote: »
    Funny how Mr Noonan is unavailable for comment!
    Considering his comments to Chamber of Commerce previously.

could it be possible that a visit to the bar beforehand had any thing to do with it, i am not saying that he takes a drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

gihj wrote: »
    It is also a previously stated fact that this Cities reputation has held it back when it comes to FDI.
    I do believe that these people have tried,maybe not hard enough but still tried to get jobs in Limerick.
    Some people really have no idea how bad a reputation Limerick has jnfortunately.
    The minority of scum that walk these streets have a hell of a lot to answer for

Spot on, and if I may add, the minority of scum are not just to blame unfortunately. We as residents of the city have to try harder than most cities to turn that perception around and unfortunately we are just not doing that, too many Limerick people are too quick to damage that reputation further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

i read somewhere this evening that the ida wanted ebay to locate in limerick but they refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

gihj wrote: »
    It is also a previously stated fact that this Cities reputation has held it back when it comes to FDI.
    I do believe that these people have tried,maybe not hard enough but still tried to get jobs in Limerick.
    Some people really have no idea how bad a reputation Limerick has jnfortunately.
    The minority of scum that walk these streets have a hell of a lot to answer for

Dunno what happend to my last post...

I was saying - a worse reputation than Dundalk a 'frontier town'? A lot of work was done to counter the El Paso tag.

I find it a bit defeatist, giving in to the scum or laying the responsibility at their door - although i recognise how tough it is. A matter of weeks ago Gun crime reared its head in the North Louth region - and now a job announcement regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Fedxco had bid for the water contract, and had proposed limerick as the location for centre. They didnt get the contract, so the jobs dont locate in limerick. Two other companies still in the running for the contract, both have said they'd open the centre in cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Nesta99 wrote: »

Dunno what happend to my last post...

I was saying - a worse reputation than Dundalk a 'frontier town'? A lot of work was done to counter the El Paso tag.

I find it a bit defeatist, giving in to the scum or laying the responsibility at their door - although i recognise how tough it is. A matter of weeks ago Gun crime reared its head in the North Louth region - and now a job announcement regardless.

But these jobs are located there because they already have a presence.
    The issue is to get a company to initially set up shop here.
    Its not really a case of giving in to the scum and the blame is laid not only at their door but at the door of politicians,community leaders and many residents that have had their head in the sand regarding limericks problems for years and years.
    Its been blame the Dublin media for donkeys years.

You have to admit you have a problem before you can deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

We as residents of the city have to try harder than most cities to turn that perception around and unfortunately we are just not doing that, too many Limerick people are too quick to damage that reputation further.

100% agree with that. I hear more negativity from Limerick people about Limerick than from anyone else these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Did we ever get these jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

Did we ever get these jobs?

No. Noonan admitted some time ago that they are going elsewhere. With Noonan probably retiring, O'Donnell politically a dead man walking and O'Sullivan facing a wipeout of the Laour vote it is likely that the government will lose 2 of their 3 seats in the next election so they got their revenge in first. The jobs will probably go to a constituency where a government minister will be in a battle to keep their seat and needs a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

According to Irish Times today, Abtran, who are Cork based have got the nod.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/markets/equities/abtran-wins-irish-water-call-centre-contract-1.1404712

• Advertisement

Jobs will be confirmed for Cork rather than Limerick later today.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0530/453503-irish-water-set-to-announce-400-jobs/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

We have a Minister for Finance who has brought zero jobs to Limerick. Don't think Fianna Fail will do any better. We had O Dea at the cabinet table for 5 years before he resigned in disgrace and he an his colleagues presided of the transfer of our Country ino receivership.

It seems like Galway, Dublin and Cork are economically making some kind of recovery in terms if job creation. it's very disappointing. Noonan - "GET YOUR FINGER OUT". Jan O Sullivan has being floundering since she took that Junior Ministery. All she was good for is trying to kill the small numbers of US Aircraft going through Shannon now bringing US personnel to the Gulf.

Sully777 wrote: »
    We have a Minister for Finance who has brought zero jobs to Limerick. Don't think Fianna Fail will do any better. We had O Dea at the cabinet table for 5 years before he resigned in disgrace and he an his colleagues presided of the transfer of our Country ino receivership.

It seems like Galway, Dublin and Cork are economically making some kind of recovery in terms if job creation. it's very disappointing. Noonan - "GET YOUR FINGER OUT". Jan O Sullivan has being floundering since she took that Junior Ministery. All she was good for is trying to kill the small numbers of US Aircraft going through Shannon now bringing US personnel to the Gulf.

It's telling that you completely forgot to mention O'Donnell. Sort of summs up his contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

touts wrote: »
    It's telling that you completely forgot to mention O'Donnell. Sort of summs up his contribution.

Who? I had to Google 'O'Donnell TD Limerick' there I genuinely never heard of him.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I find it a mix of sad and funny that the various politicians who were trying to sound important when the rumours were flying around about the 400 jobs in Limerick are all now very quiet now, now that Cork (Abtran) has got the jobs and not Limerick.
    If these jobs were in Limerick, they would be fighting amongst themselves to be giving big speaches about how great they were in bringing these jobs to Limerick.....
    all very quiet on the (mid) western front!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

People often complain about how few jobs Limerick seems to attract. This video gives an idea of how the city is sold to potential investors. Any body think of any improvements? https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sffXYPhSL2E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

pigtown wrote: »
    People often complain about how few jobs Limerick seems to attract. This video gives an idea of how the city is sold to potential investors. Any body think of any improvements? https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sffXYPhSL2E
    Telling the truth about a 24/7 airport for a start! To be fair though, it operates the same hours as Cork AFAIK.

However, I'd be more interested in what the IDA uses rather than a conference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ninty9er wrote: »
    Telling the truth about a 24/7 airport for a start! To be fair though, it operates the same hours as Cork AFAIK.

However, I'd be more interested in what the IDA uses rather than a conference.

It is a 24/7 airport. Not everything is about passenger services. It's the diversion airport for aircraft encountering technical or medical emergencies over the Atlantic and has to have full emergency services available 24/7. The other airports don't provide this service.

Advertisement