Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to weddings alone?

• 19-11-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

Is this a bit weird in your opinion? I only ask as I have been to 3 already this year, all as a single person and after the last one Im quite uncomfortable about attending one alone, the whole chapel part is fine as you are just standing there going along with the service but the meal afterwards and the band is all set up for couples, from the chat to the dancing etc. I have felt a bit out of sorts of late as the last wedding, I was literally the only single person there and although people were nice, they always end up with their respective partners for the rest of the evening..

Is it sad to attend weddings alone or maybe Im just over-reacting and should just show up if even to save face, whats your opinions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Go and ride the ugliest Bridesmaid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Nothing wrong with it.

It's actually great.

Chat to whoever you want without worrying about not paying enough attention to the other half. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hire a hooker for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I went to a wedding alone a few weeks ago. I pretty much only knew the groom at the wedding, and had a great time. The day flew by, chatting with random people. You can entertain yourself by making up elaborate stories about yourself. Sure who's gonna know the difference!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Make sure and practice your crazy eyes now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I went to a wedding alone a few weeks ago. I pretty much only knew the groom at the wedding, and had a great time. The day flew by, chatting with random people. You can entertain yourself by making up elaborate stories about yourself. Sure who's gonna know the difference!?
    :cool:

We lost a lotta good men out there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I would have assumed it was better to go to a wedding single; at my friends wedding this summer half the people below 30 were hooking up!

Except me of course :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

All that's sad is wondering whether it's sad. Come on -you're an adult!
    How can it be weird? :confused:

That said, company and fun shouldn't be an issue if a lot of people you know are there, but if you're solo at a wedding where you barely know anyone, that's likely to be boring and isolating, in which case, maybe bring a pal or don't go. But certainly don't forego it because you're afraid you'll look "sad" (people who'd look down on you for that - are they worth sh1t? Most people wouldn't even notice anyway though). What I don't get is someone bringing a stranger just to have a +1 when they know loads there anyway (let's face it: something mostly done by women).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you haven't got anyone to take your choices are.

Stay at home and do nothing and meet nobody.

OR

Go and maybe... meet someone or talk to someone interesting, see a different part of Ireland, or have a bit of craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

No it's not sad and plenty of people do it.

This whole "you need a partner for the wedding" is old fashioned and a load of crap IMO.

I attended a wedding last month and there was plenty of people there without partners.

If it's really bothering you that much why not just bring a Friend. Male or female, for company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

was at two weddings during the summer and went alone because thats all it said on the invite. just me, no partner or guest invited..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

When I got married last year it was tricky to be correct about what to put on the invitation for single people...for example if you said plus one you might be putting them under pressure to find some one to take, but if the invasion was only for one some people might be a bit insulted and think your were implying they had no one they could take ( personally I think that sort of thing is nonsense but one of my friend said a lot of people really do mind about that sort of thing ).

was at two weddings during the summer and went alone because thats all it said on the invite. just me, no partner or guest invited..

Nothing wrong with that if you invite someone who is single to your wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Not really OP, the priest is usually also there alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

No it's not weird at all. Lots of people go to weddings alone and have a great time getting dressed up and meeting new people etc.

The only reason it could get weird slight uncomfortable is if you went to a siblings wedding alone and had to face a barrage of awkward questions about your own relationship status.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

surely if your at a wedding of say 300 people, the odds of theyre being a woman who wants luvvvving got to worth a shot.

I dont think there is an exact maths formula but surely has to be 1/20 to get the ride

jester77 wrote: »
    Not really OP, the priest is usually also there alone.

He be altar boy busy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bridesmaids ....... Giggiddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    This whole "you need a partner for the wedding" is old fashioned and a load of crap IMO.
    Who else is one supposed to get married to? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

The thing here is you were not alone,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Hire a hooker for the day

I am now open to bookings :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

There's an age old saying "The meeting at one wedding, is the makings of the next wedding". Don't let one odd wedding put you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

I went to a wedding alone recently and it was grand, knew a good few people there so was not alone all day. I enjoyed the day more than if my partner was with me actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

My friend Hermione went to her own wedding alone and had a great time. Nothing wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

1ZRed wrote: »
    I am now open to bookings :pac:

I'm considering too - how much do you think you could charge? Would it be by the hour or a set rate up to a certain time? Would you pay for a +1 without sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

mariaalice wrote: »
    When I got married last year it was tricky to be correct about what to put on the invitation for single people...for example if you said plus one you might be putting them under pressure to find some one to take, but if the invasion was only for one some people might be a bit insulted and think your were implying they had no one they could take ( personally I think that sort of thing is nonsense but one of my friend said a lot of people really do mind about that sort of thing ).

I got married recently. Unless somebody had an official partner so to speak they were coming on their own. To hell with worrying about insulting people. I wasn't shelling out for someone raked up in copper face jacks the night before to attend my wedding.

I know I'll be pillared for saying this but I definitely think women have more of a hang up about going on their own.

I'm considering too - how much do you think you could charge? Would it be by the hour or a set rate up to a certain time?

€150 for a session of up to an hour ofc :p
    Would you pay for a +1 without sex?

For the pleasure of your company? :)

No.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

superblu wrote: »

I know I'll be pillared for saying this but I definitely think women have more of a hang up about going on their own.

Women probably have more of a hang up about it but some men do also. I would not mind going on my own if I knew other people who were going to be there.
    If it was a wedding where I only knew the bride or groom then no would not go alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

superblu wrote: »
    You're totally correct though. And it's more of a concern among women whether they'll be seen with the same outfit at two weddings and all that bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No, I bring along some runaway bride.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Went to quite a few weddings alone in my time. Nothing bad about it at all, it could be a good way of meeting someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

€150 for a session of up to an hour ofc :p

Silly me, how could I forget.

For the pleasure of your company? :)

No.

:( Fine I'll ask Eden Bieber!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Dont go to these weddings!
    Most weddings are an expensive borefest and many people dread them.
    Stay at home and go to a club.

Silly me, how could I forget.
    For just €50 extra I'll go either way and I'll throw in 30 mins on the clock ;)

:( Fine I'll ask Eden Bieber!
    Eh, I think I'll have a better chance of being in his company purely by the fact that I've a cock :p

BTW, thought you were printing up the "bordsie discounts" for this kind of craic? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Dont go to these weddings!
    Most weddings are an expensive borefest and many people dread them.
    Stay at home and go to a club.
    How can you stay home and go to a club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

Is it really just weddings you're worried about or are you miserable in general about being single?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Is this a bit weird in your opinion? I only ask as I have been to 3 already this year, all as a single person and after the last one Im quite uncomfortable about attending one alone, the whole chapel part is fine as you are just standing there going along with the service but the meal afterwards and the band is all set up for couples, from the chat to the dancing etc. I have felt a bit out of sorts of late as the last wedding, I was literally the only single person there and although people were nice, they always end up with their respective partners for the rest of the evening..

Is it sad to attend weddings alone or maybe Im just over-reacting and should just show up if even to save face, whats your opinions??

Show up because you want to celebrate your friend's wedding not to save face. I do know what you mean. I've been to a few weddings on my own and at a certain point in the evening it can be a bit of a pain but its just a party at the end of the day so if you approach it with the right attitude it can be a laugh.
    I've been invited to a few weddings without the option of a plus 1. I can understand this too but you can feel like a bit of a loser if single guests are in the minority.

I find New Year's Eve far worse on the being single front though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I have been to 3 already this year

Keep going at that rate and you'll end up like the guys from the wedding crashers film.

Advertisement