If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price and Advice for hi-fi

Options
  • 19-11-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Our kitchen area is quite large and we have it wired for speakers at high level in each of its 8 corners, I was hoping to buy an average priced hi-fi system with 8 speakers (small ones) and line in the TV and any other auxiliary input we may have. We also have 2 speaker cables in the bathroom which I would like to include in the hi-fi.

When I go looking for a multiple speaker system, it seems that they are a thing of the past.

Could Richer Sounds please suggest a way of getting something similar to what I'm talking about, I'm sure this is a simple problem but I don’t want to waste any money, cause I don’t have a much to use on a solution for this. Can you send me on some prices too as I would love to arrange purchasing something soon.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there.

Thanks for the post.

There are a number of issues with this type of system that I would point out before I give you a few options :

(1) There isn't any single amplifier that we would do that can run 10 speakers without getting into expensive multiroom systems or having multiple amplifiers.

(2) Small speakers do not produce bass and therefore can sound very tinny and not very impressive. Ideally if you were going to put in small speakers then you would need to add a subwoofer to produce the bass needed to balance the sound and for it sound well.

(3) The bathroom speakers would need to be capable of dealing with moisture. Most poeple would use an in-ceiling speaker in this case but I'm not sure where your cables are coming into the room.

There is one amplifier that we do which is presetly out of stock that would fix most of the issue. This is a Teac AG980 which is £219.95. This will run 4 pairs of speakers in a 2 zone configuration. 2 Pairs are wired to one zone with the other 2 in zone 2. Each zone has it's own volume.

This has a maxiumum of 8 speakers.

This would be the most cost effective way of running several pairs of speakers that we would have.

On top of this, you will need speakers. I would recommend taking a look at the Acoustic energy compact 1 at £99.95 as a pair of speakers which sound great on their own or take a look at the Monitor Audio Mass system which would be £899 for 5 pairs of great sounding satellite speakers as these just won best satellite system in What Hifi magazine.

Let me know what you think of these in terms of styling, dimensions etc.

I hope this helps but there are all sorts of additions to this amplifier like the Sonos system etc will will give you very up to date technology in addition to the amplifier.

If this pickles your head and you fancy a chat, give me a buzz on 0044 333 900 0071.

Cheers

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭miss-bored

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply!

I've had a look at that amplifier and it looks right up my street! Any idea when you might have it back in stock?

Ceiling speakers may be a nice option for the toilet, cheap ones with a small diameter would be good. The bathroom is not huge and is not going to need any thing other than average sound quality.

I've looked at the speakers you suggested @ http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/acoustic-energy/compact-one/acou-ae43-gls-blk

Not crazy about them... Bit big for high level wall mounting.. I think, couldn't get the dimensions from the site
    Thinking of putting 3 pairs of speakers in the kitchen (keep cost down) and the2 ceiling ones, 2 sets of the one you suggested and maybe a smaller neater option if you had one
    Thanks Dave for the input,
    Look forward to your reply,

M. Bored

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭miss-bored

Any update on when the amplifier will be back in stock? Will we be able to play music from iPhone through this? We are hoping to buy something ASAP

Thanks again

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

miss-bored wrote: »
    Any update on when the amplifier will be back in stock? Will we be able to play music from iPhone through this? We are hoping to buy something ASAP

Thanks again

It will be at least 2-3 weeks before the AG980 is back into stock.

On the Iphone issue - it does not have a dedicated Iphone input but you could of course rig it up via the headphone output of the IPhone using a decent 3.5>Phono lead - If you wanted something a little slicker that would allow you to stream from the phone whilst you held it remotely you could use this:
    harm-bta10

http://www.richersounds.com/product/ipod-iphone-speakers-docks/harman-kardon/bta10/harm-bta10

This is a little Bluetooth dongle that will plug into any amplifer or receiver and allows you to play your phone remotely - great value at £49.95.

Apologies for the delay on the AG980 but keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.