Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Electric Showers + Wiring

Options
  • 19-11-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,

In my en-suite I have a Triton Shannon Electric shower. This is the main shower that was in the house when I bought it. I am in the process to doing up the main Bathroom that had no shower in it. I have a Mira Play Shower that I am installing and this is also an Electric Shower. Both will be supplied by the Mains water supply.

I want to have it set up so only one shower can work at any one time. On my MCB I have a Garo G-RCB b40 fuse for the current shower. To install the second one what will I need.

I think I just need to get a priority board installed. Where in Cork would be the best place to buy one of these?

Rgds
    Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

you will need a double poled contacter and a current sensor switch too...Unless your fully trained in this field i'd advise leave it too the pro's!!

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

you'll need either a priority or a non priority board depending on which way you want it controlled. There's no need to buy the components separately as you can get these boards pre wired.

From the sounds of it you'll also require an electrician it's not a DIY job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In my en-suite I have a Triton Shannon Electric shower. This is the main shower that was in the house when I bought it. I am in the process to doing up the main Bathroom that had no shower in it. I have a Mira Play Shower that I am installing and this is also an Electric Shower. Both will be supplied by the Mains water supply.
    Are both of these showers the "instantaneous" type?
    What kW rating are they?
    I want to have it set up so only one shower can work at any one time. On my MCB I have a Garo G-RCB b40 fuse for the current shower. To install the second one what will I need.
    I assume you mean RCBO?
    I think I just need to get a priority board installed.
    A "priority unit" is one option alright, but i have heard many bad reports about them so I never used one. I always went with a contactor arrangement that ensured that only 1 shower could have power from a common supply.

As already suggested this is a job for a qualified electrician. Water and electricity are not a good mix at the best of times and in this case there is the added hazard of high currents.

If the showers are = or > 8kW the final circuit cables should be 6 sq. mm T + E at a minimum. In fact 10 sq. mm T + E is becoming the norm for instantaneous showers due to the load size and or length of run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

They are both electric instant showers alright, so a switching arrangement is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭chrislynch8

Thanks for the replies. I'd already gone a bought a Priority Board and 10sq mm cable. All run now just waiting for a friend who is a sparkie to wire it up, although looking at the wiring diagram doesn't seem to difficult.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I'd already gone a bought a Priority Board and 10sq mm cable. All run now just waiting for a friend who is a sparkie to wire it up, although looking at the wiring diagram doesn't seem to difficult.

I did one last week, after the owner thought it looked simple too, and was going to have a go at first. No spare earth or neutral terminals on house DB, so it would have been interesting to see how he would have managed. The point being, it may look simple on a diagram, but is often problem riddled in reality, and DIY jobs usually dont have the very basics done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I did one last week, after the owner thought it looked simple too, and was going to have a go at first. No spare earth or neutral terminals on house DB, so it would have been interesting to see how he would have managed. The point being, it may look simple on a diagram, but is often problem riddled in reality, and DIY jobs usually dont have the very basics done right.

Theres a reason we have too sit threw four years of exam's too qualify...Those diagram's are ok in a perfect world but as is the case too often on site things turn out too be far from perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

The loads are high here so if you arent sure get help. Also two instantaneous showers off the mains? I hope you have very good mains pressure. Its usually a better idea to come off the tank but that depends on the plumbing and supply.

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Also two instantaneous showers off the mains? I hope you have very good mains pressure. Its usually a better idea to come off the tank but that depends on the plumbing and supply.

If the dynamic pressure is good enough for 1 with decent flow, then it wont really make a difference having 2 on it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My own experience with showers of this type of shower (supplied directly from the water mains) is that pressure fluctuations on the supply due to external influences can cause problems with flow and temperature.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    My own experience with showers of this type that are supplied directly from the water mains is that pressure fluctuations on the supply due to external influences can cause problems with flow and temperature.

Of course it can. I wouldnt recommend mains showers at all. My point is, having a second one will make no difference here, in addition to the existing one. *

Dotsie~tmp`s point is still valid alright though. If it was me, Id install a pumped shower as the second one, fed from the attic tank.

*Unless the OP and co like cold showers.

Lads ye are missing the obvious.. he's not gonna be running the showers together so no point arguing over it.

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Lads ye are missing the obvious.. he's not gonna be running the showers together so no point arguing over it.

If you read my posts 10 and 12 very carefully, you will see the obvious is not being missed, and there is no argument either.

The big, but subtle clue is in the * marked bit in post 12

robbie7730 wrote: »
    If it was me, Id install a pumped shower as the second one, fed from the attic tank.
    Yup....or better still feed both from a tank in the attic.

haha well I'll get back in my box then argue away to ****.....

I swear boards has become full of disgruntled synical so and so's

leeomurchu wrote: »
    haha well I'll get back in my box then argue away to ****.....
    I dont see any argument going on here at all
    I swear boards has become full of disgruntled synical so and so's

When was this?

Advertisement