Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book on Irish Suffrage movement in Ireland for 12 year old

Options
  • 19-11-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

*Mods I posted this in the History forum also I'd like to cover as much ground as possible? If that's no okay, I accept delete :)

12 year old sis, avid reader, late for school in the morning as lost in books etc. She has pretty much read the shelves of the local library, but Im trying to find her a book about inspiring women, that's not a picture/enclyopaedic book and not a weighty college textbook also. Any tips advice?

I'd like to get her something on the Irish Suffrage Movement specifcally but open to any such inspiring books...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NaNaNa1

Not sure would it be of interest and It's not really about inspiring women but it deals with the Suffrage moment lightly - Amelia by Siobhán Parkinson I read it in 5th or 6th class and liked it. It might be good to introduce the topic. When I was 12 I also read a lot of Philip Pulman (His Dark Materials and any of the Sally Lockhart books - both series are fictional but feature strong female characters!) I rarely liked books we read in school (I was more interested in Dan Brown and Dean Kontz by 6th class but I adored Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (A book about a young girl's life during WW2 and the Danish Resistance's efforts to smuggle the Jewish population to safety)
    Sorry if this is no help though and good luck in finding some great books!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

NaNaNa1 wrote: »
    Not sure would it be of interest and It's not really about inspiring women but it deals with the Suffrage moment lightly - Amelia by Siobhán Parkinson I read it in 5th or 6th class and liked it. It might be good to introduce the topic. When I was 12 I also read a lot of Philip Pulman (His Dark Materials and any of the Sally Lockhart books - both series are fictional but feature strong female characters!) I rarely liked books we read in school (I was more interested in Dan Brown and Dean Kontz by 6th class but I adored Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (A book about a young girl's life during WW2 and the Danish Resistance's efforts to smuggle the Jewish population to safety)
    Sorry if this is no help though and good luck in finding some great books!
    Thank you. Yes, I had Amelia when I was younger so she's read that, plus Philip Pullman but il try that Lois Lowry one, thank you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hmm, if it's inspirational women you're after then Mary Robinson has just published a memoir...?

Advertisement