Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a dog run for the first time

• 19-11-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

One of my setters has recently taken up fence climbing as a hobby, which is a huge problem as she's deaf. She managed to get out three times and luckily my neighbours caught her and took her in each time.

Both dogs are now in a run during the day when I'm not there. I've never used a run before and they're not used to being confined, so I'm looking for feedback on my set up and some ideas on how to keep them happy.

I was lucky to already have a pre-built "run" - it was my patio vegetable garden until last week and was originally built to keep them out! This is what it looks like - the photo is old and the shed has been replaced by a much smaller one, and all the pots and vegetable beds have been removed. I've also moved their kennels in there:

29diz3d.jpg

Does this set up seem ok? It's about 30ft x 10ft, mainly paved, and there's a small 10ft x 3ft gravel area which they can use as a toilet area. I've put chicken wire running out from the top of the fences to stop her climbing over. It's well sheltered from the wind and is probably the sunniest part of the garden (hence why I chose it for my veg! :rolleyes: ).

I'm also looking for suggestions for toys to keep them occupied when I'm at work. This morning I left them with a stuffed kong and a stag bar each. Any other toys that are safe to leave out all day and would help to keep them occupied?

They're walked for about an hour a day during the week, split into two or three walks, and at least 2 hours a day at the weekends, usually through the woods. I vary the weekend walks as much has possible.

I looked into doggie daycare but the only one I know of in Cork won't take them because Jess is deaf. :( I'm now considering a dog walker a few times a week to break up the day for them.

If anyone has any advice or ideas I'd welcome them. I know she's not very happy in the run and it's stressing me out a bit. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Where were they left previously to the dog run? It looks good to me, its a good size, as they will probably be spending most of their time sleeping.

That is so sad that you couldn't get them into doggy day care, I had never thought a dog might be refused due to deafness :(

Is there anybody locally that could come and walk them during the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thanks ISDW :) Previous to this they were left in the main part of the garden, which you can just see a bit of to the left of the photo. It's a decent enough size for a suburban garden and they had loads of space to run. The problem is that it's an end house and the side boundary fence (chain link) has bushes and hedging growing through it and over it from both sides. she was using the hedge to give her "leg up" and over the fence. I'd have to completely clear the area to even get at the fence which would be a huge job.

I was surprised about the doggie daycare too. I only mentioned the deafness as an afterthought, along with another medical condition, but they're concerned it might be too overwhelming for her. They did suggest a member of staff who does dog walking and I also know of one other person who covers the area. If anyone has any personal recommendations that would be great - I'm on the southside of Cork city.

Advertisement