Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of a J1

Options
  • 19-11-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Looking to go on a J1 to america on the west coast, would anyone be able to help me out and give me a rough estimate on the costs ? having trouble figuring it all out

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm wondering the same thing.

Also, is there any point hurrying for the "special deals" that they have on now or will they be back in a few weeks/months?

Finally, I'm having to defer my year in college this year. Is that going to be a problem if I decide to do a J1?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cathalroarty

are you in college this year? if your not in college this year you wont be able to get a visa this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

I went to the east coast so know its not quite the same but just to give u a rough idea of costs.... through USIT it cost about 1,300 (complete rip off btw if you could book the flights and all yourself itd be waaay cheaper). that was the first hefty bill but youd defo need another 1,000 when you get over there to support yourself until you get a job and when you first move into ur house youll prob have to pay a deposit and 2 weeks rent etc etc so alot of expense. I know I didnt earn alot, just enough to get by so needed savings if i needed to splash out on anything and for travelling at the end had to fund it all by savings. In short it costs ALOT but if u can fund it it is defo defo worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cathalroarty

I went to the east coast so know its not quite the same but just to give u a rough idea of costs.... through USIT it cost about 1,300 (complete rip off btw if you could book the flights and all yourself itd be waaay cheaper). that was the first hefty bill but youd defo need another 1,000 when you get over there to support yourself until you get a job and when you first move into ur house youll prob have to pay a deposit and 2 weeks rent etc etc so alot of expense. I know I didnt earn alot, just enough to get by so needed savings if i needed to splash out on anything and for travelling at the end had to fund it all by savings. In short it costs ALOT but if u can fund it it is defo defo worth it!!

Thanks for the reply! yeah my brother was telling me that usit are a bunch of cowboys that rip everyone off! as for accommodation i have that sorted so i think i can cut a good few of those costs out! appreciate the reply, very helpfull

Advertisement