Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary teacher training college?

• 19-11-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I'm definetly trying for primary teaching this year, however im unsure about which college to put first on my cao. I would prefer a smaller college with friendly lecturers, this is why I don't think i'd like Froebel in NUIM. I went to marino and pats open days last weekend and fell in love with both! I definetly don't want to go to mary I as its too far away.
    Can anyone tell me from their own experiences which is a better college and course, pats or marino?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Obviously people will only have experiences of one course or the other, so they wont be able to say which was a better course (if you see what I mean).

From my point of view, I went to Pats and Graduated last Friday. Loved every minute of it, including teaching practice. :P

Lovely Lecturers, who were helpful, approachable and knowledgeable. Great balance of work and social life. Rarely felt overworked (outside of teaching practice which is 3/4 weeks of tough work), but don't feel like the course was lacking either.

I wouldn't have a bad word to say about the place to be honest. When I was filling out the CAO, I originally planned to go to Mary I. However the Open Day's changed my mind. I never got a welcoming vibe from Mary I. Not saying there is anything wrong with it because everyone I know who went there had a great time, just personally I didn't click with the place. I then went to the Pats open day and loved the place. Didn't want to go anywhere else after it. There was a friendly atmosphere, the students gave the tours and spoke genuinely about what they liked about in the college, and that was enough to convince me.

To be honest, I'd imagine you'll love wherever you end up, just try and visit all the colleges and go with your gut instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lauren14

• Registered Users Posts: 1 smmurphy

As far as I know, the amount of students in Saint Pats is huge, in comparison to Marino? If you'd prefer a smaller college, Marino would be the place. You'll have a ball wherever you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭clairey__Ox

I'm currently in Marino and as DDC1990 said, each person will have their own experiences and bias, but i'm enjoying every minute of life here in Marino.
    I also went to all the Primary colleges open days, and from a young age would have had my heart set on Pats, but after the Open day didn't impress me I was stuck on Marino.
    The year groups have in and around 110, which is a LOT less than Pats I think, and there are 3 classes of about 35 in each. Some lectures are held together and others in the small class situation.Because of this you get to form a real bond with everyone and get properly close within a few weeks. In other colleges if you sit beside someone in a lecture you may not see them again for the rest of the year, but in MIE the group is so small and close you'll definitely see them again.
    Each 1st year is assigned a POP, which is a 2nd/3rdyear student who looks out for them and helps them with lesson planning and resources around TP time. Everyone has a Tutor too, who is always just an email away if you need anything.
    The lecturers are really friendly and because the college is so small they know almost everyone by name, so the atmosphere around is really friendly! However, because the college is small,there is an emphasis in attendance and after a while it would probably be noticed if you weren't attending, but i think a lot of people actually see this as a positive! Personally, I find it a bit of an incentive :P I've heard that in Pats you can just get lost in the crowd, but again I'm not putting Pats down in anyway!
    Honestly,wherever you decide to go it will be the right choice for you, adn I'm sure you'll love it!
    If you need anything or anymore info just drop me a pm :)

thanks for your help everyone :) yeah I'm leaning towards marino,and I'm actually considering froebel now because i live so close to it. with marino i'd either have to get two buses or the train and a 20 min walk, would you say that i'd be exhausted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭clairey__Ox

Well I live on campus, so I'm no real help with that I'm afraid, but i do know that at LEAST a quarter of the year group commute from places like Meath,West Meath etc and it takes them nearly an hour and a half to get in, but they seem to be okay with it! Usually (hopefully!) you'll make friends with someone on campus and can stay with them some nights, its pretty relaxed regarding people staying over. The 123 bus is literally outside the gate of the college and is hopping with people commuting in the morning! It's all a personal thing really, but yeah people do commute :)

Ok cool :) I really loved marino at the open day, think it will be my first choice regardless of the commute :D

Advertisement