Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyoderma

• 19-11-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭

Has anyone any information or experience with pyoderma in their dog? After a lot of googling (and a brief encounter with it 2 yrs ago) i've come to understand that it takes a lot of meds to get rid of this. I am just wondering if anyone has any homeopathic "tried and tested" remedies to help alleviate the itching that goes with this condition.

My dogs face is the only affected area and just as its getting better, he goes and scratches it again causing healing wounds to open up to infection once more. Hes had one course of antibiotics (10 days) which did help clear it up, he's had all sorts of blood tests, autoimmune tests, thyroid function test, skin scrapings and skin biopsies sent to UK and all are coming back clear. Vet said his thyriod is a little under but this is prob due to the current condition of his skin. The poor thing is just miserable and his face is all inflamed and irritated. So i am looking for something to help cool the itching for him to give him some sort of relief, preferably 100% natural as i don't agree with long term antibiotic/steroid treatment.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Homoeopathic remedies are just water with little active ingredients.

When you say tests came back "clear" what do you mean? If the vet did culture and sensitivity tests then the lab would have informed him of a specific bacteria/fungus that was causing the infection.

Sometimes scratching in dogs can become a habit. You could try getting the advice of a trained behaviourist. He/ she will be able to teach you some distraction tactics such as a walk or playing a game when he starts to scratch.

I wouldn't rule out antibiotics. You have to put the dogs welfare over your own beliefs.

If they clear up the condition and the vet suggests using them long term then I would go with his or her advice. If steroids are managed properly they can be given long term without any ill effects.

I don't want to sound mean so please don't take this the wrong way but don't let him suffer just because you don't believe in medicating long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

ì nearly lost him last year due to bloat, i would never let him suffer needlessly and i'm not going to withhold veterinary care just because i prefer a more natural treatment, its obvious he's going to need more antibiotics but i was hoping that there would be a topical cream or something that would help ease the awful itching until the antibiotics have had a chance to kick in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

You'd need to check with your vet, but I wonder would something like calamine lotion help at all? We used to use it to help with chicken pox and hives, and it was quite soothing indeed. Poor thing, it's miserable being itchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

my girl had it also on her face and top of her head. she was on antibiotics for 10 days but needed a further 5 days on them. I also had to wash the area with malaseb shampoo every second day but it cleared up after three weeks.

i have malaseb but feared it would sting. I have a wash and cream called Botanica its brilliant stuff (even for humans), it helps but it doesn't clear it, maybe if i used it in conjunction with the antibiotics it might help. The skin just needs a chance to heal 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

If the skin isn't broken you could try aloe Vera. That an be very soothing.

Only try it If the skin is unbroken though.

You could also try a cold damp towel to cool down the itch.

Some of my clients have had some success by physically stoping the scratching. You can do this by putting a big tshirt on him. Looks silly but often works.

You can also try puting socks on his paws so he doesn't do as much damage. Some dogs won't tolerate them though and just pull them off. Don't be tempted to bandage them on as it could cause swelling.

there's aloe vera in the botanica (aloe, comfrey oil, lavender oil and tea tree) he's not incessantly scratching thank god, if he was he's have no skin left bless him. He's just so miserable looking, wish i could take the itch off him!!!

Its like a really bad hot spot, the skin is sort of moist/sticky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

There is something called HomeoPet for hot spots, I'm not sure where you would get it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

kassie wrote: »
    i have malaseb but feared it would sting. I have a wash and cream called Botanica its brilliant stuff (even for humans), it helps but it doesn't clear it, maybe if i used it in conjunction with the antibiotics it might help. The skin just needs a chance to heal 100%.
    vet told me to use both together and the malaseb didnt seem to sting so it might be worth a go.

Advertisement