Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get someone to stop smoking in sitting room/kitchen?

Options
  • 19-11-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for advice here. I'm sharing a 3 bed apt with a combined sitting room /kitchen. One of my roommates smokes and over the last while has started to smoke regularly in the sitting room /kitchen. I've asked them more than once to stop and they haven't stopped. I'm in the apt the longest and the main signature on the lease.
    Is it possible to get a no smoking clause added to the lease or has anyone any advice on how best to proceed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Fight fire with fire. Get those cheap Lidl scented air sprays and start spraying in the room every time there is smoke. They're equally as irritating as smoke and you should be equally as entitled to spew out stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

What is the landlords reaction to the knowledge that he could lose a tenant due to another tenants smoking?

Was it advertised as a non smoking tenancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

OR light a load of incense "to combat the smoke" choke him out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

check the original lease document, there may also be deposit clauses in place for 'cigarette smoke related damage' smells and paintwork etc.

If there is raise it with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Youre only real option is to get the landlord involved. If they are okay with the tenant smoking then you have no real choice but to leave. Pricks like this rarely listen to reason; in their selfish little minds they are doing nothing wrong and dont see why they should be inconvenienced. If you have asked them to stop and they refuse then save yourself the hassle and find somewhere to live with normal decent people.

Its worth bearing in mind that a landlord may well take exception to the damage caused by smoking indoors and it may well impact all of your deposits. If it were me I would be getting the issue sorted one way or another as soon as possibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

What is the landlords reaction to the knowledge that he could lose a tenant due to another tenants smoking?

Was it advertised as a non smoking tenancy?
    I can't remember if it was or not. They didn't smoke when they moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

That's really thoughtless, as well as unhygenic to smoke in the kitchen. I do feel sorry for the OP...

I smoke, and I don't smoke in the kitchen, living-room or anywhere in the house, as I can't stand the smell of stale smoke and out of consideration to my (long-suffering!) husband who does not smoke.

I'd definitely be letting the landlord know. When you move out, might cause problems in getting rid of the smell, and possible loss of deposit due to cleaning the upholstery and soft furnishings and re-painting the place. You might want to point that out to your selfish housemate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

The smell of smoke permeates through a house, the OPs clothes probably have it as well as everywhere else.

You have to speak to the landlord OP, if the person is selfish enough to continue to smoke indoors after being asked not to then you wont get any joy from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I can't remember if it was or not. They didn't smoke when they moved in.
    You most likely live in a non-smoking house, then. Inform the landlord that the other tenant smokes, and refused to stop when you asked them to do so. If the landlord doesn't do anything about it, look for another place. I acknowledge that you've been there the longest, but some fights aren't worth fighting.

Try to ask him via a written medium, be it email of letter, so if the landlord responds that he doesn't mind the tenant smoking and takes money out of your deposit for smoke damage, you have proof that the landlord didn't try to enforce the smoking ban when you informed him of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Throw up a smoke alarm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Throw up a smoke alarm

It's an apartment, they already have smoke alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

normal smoke alarms dont go off from cigarette smoke, you can however get a cigarette detector...

Advertisement