Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote web development

Options
  • 19-11-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know a website where i can remotely work on a web development project, basically theres 3 of us in a group and its too much hassle to be emailing the project back and forth. If we could find somewhere where we could host the project and then log in and update it would be excellent.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I got two words for you: version control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

As above. Install Git and register Github accounts, and one of you create a repo. Learn Git - it'll change your life. Not just your work life - your sex life may improve also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

srsly78 wrote: »

Indeed, on a side note I find it ****ing infuriating it is not covered in university courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

+1 on Git.
    Github is free for public repos, if you want to keep it private, have a look around at some other providers, e.g. Codebasehq has a free tier that allows one project, though there might be a user limit, can't remember

Even for personal projects you're working on by yourself, life's way easier if you use some kind of version control, with the added benefit that you've got an online backup if you push it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Yay,no one suggested Dropbox!!

Bitbucket allows private repos and supports git and Mercurial.

• Advertisement

Yay,no one suggested Dropbox!!

Bitbucket allows private repos and supports git and Mercurial.

+1 on Bitbucket.org, personally I prefer Mercurial, but they are both great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Indeed, on a side note I find it ****ing infuriating it is not covered in university courses

Why ? I could understand covering version control but why a specific version control system ? Many use GIT, others Subversion, others TFS etc

University is to provide the background, knowledge, theory and understanding of the technologies. With these skills you should be able to quickly gain a knowledge of the tools used in you work environment including version control such as GIT, Subversion, TFS etc

amen wrote: »
    Why ? I could understand covering version control but why a specific version control system ? Many use GIT, others Subversion, others TFS etc

University is to provide the background, knowledge, theory and understanding of the technologies. With these skills you should be able to quickly gain a knowledge of the tools used in you work environment including version control such as GIT, Subversion, TFS etc

:confused:
    srsly78 wrote: »
    ChRoMe wrote: »
    Indeed, on a side note I find it ****ing infuriating it is not covered in university courses.

He didn't mention a specific version control system, just version control in general. Equipping students with knowledge of (if only the theory behind, i.e. branching, committing, merging...) a standard industry tool used in any reputable software development company should probably be one of the goals of any computer science course. I don't think the words "version control" were uttered a single time in my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Another bitbucket recommendation here although GitHub is the better option if you're looking to open source it. Not much of a difference between the services except bitbucket allows free private repos for 5 users where as GitHub has a thriving open source community.

Thanks for reminding me about Bitbucket! I've got a few repos on Github that should really be private :-/ Went to register on BB, but it turns out I already have an account that I've never used :)

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »

He didn't mention a specific version control system, just version control in general. Equipping students with knowledge of (if only the theory behind, i.e. branching, committing, merging...) a standard industry tool used in any reputable software development company should probably be one of the goals of any computer science course. I don't think the words "version control" were uttered a single time in my course.

You get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Should be taught in the sense it should be baked in from day one, this is how you submit coding assignments. Start out on any VCS and like the programming language you change it every so often.

Then again, good students do this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

phishcakes wrote: »
    ...its too much hassle to be emailing the project back and forth. If we could find somewhere where we could host the project and then log in and update it would be excellent.

Also look into issue ticketing systems. Trac and Redmine come to mind. There are free to use hosted versions out there.

Best to find a host that offers integrated ticketing and versioning (Trac and Subversion work very well together). As mentioned it will change your life and +1 on the sex thing - you'll have more free time on your hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Dave! wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me about Bitbucket! I've got a few repos on Github that should really be private :-/ Went to register on BB, but it turns out I already have an account that I've never used :)

On a COMPLETELY unrelated matter, whats your github username, Dave?

;-)

On a COMPLETELY unrelated matter, whats your github username, Dave?

;-)

Well my username is--waaaaait a minute!! You're not getting access to my top secret and highly valuable projects! They're certainly not sh*tty Wordpress nixers, that's for sure!

Fool me once, shame on you...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

unfuddle.com is good for private projects too, free private svn repositories. Only allows up to 2 collaborators for free unfortunately, which is one too few for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I love Mercurial, TortoiseHg and BitBucket for a fairly simple but effective setup.

Advertisement