Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand goods of a Liquidator

Options
  • 19-11-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently purchased some second hands goods from a Liquidator who was disposing of some Shop Equipment (POS System) for my business. Now when i purchased the items i saw them working in the shop and was informed that they were not that old 1-2 years max. I have just got one of the tills of the box and went to start it up and it worked fine for a couple of minutes and then came the crackling noise and a bang with smoke billowing out of the back of the till. It sounds to me the whole thing is fried. Now what I am wondering is have i any sort of comeback with the liquidator? Or am i after flushing some hard earned money down the toilet? Any advice welcome before I go chasing the liquidator for my money back.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moving to the Business Management forum as this seems to be a B2B transaction, rather than a consumer transaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Anything I have ever bought from a liquidator has always been clearly stated as "sold as seen" and it is up to the purchaser to satisfy themselves as to the condition and suitability of the item. All warranties are normally expressly excluded. Do you have the copy conditions of sale?
    It is not at all unusual for electric motors to burn out on equipment after it has been moved. I have experienced this on 3 phase motors on a couple occasion after moving factory.
    It might not be too expensive to get a new motor! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

Thanks Peter,

I received no copy of conditions of sale now fortunately I have been in touch with the liquidator and he has agreed to refund me for them I know he is not obliged too but he said he would given the fact I purchased a lot of stuff off him. So it's a lesson learned in relation to second hand goods especially electrical equipment sometimes it pays to buy new stuff to have peace of mind with warranty etc

Again thanks for the informative response.

Cheers,

no12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

You are more than welcome, and well done. I would not have given much for you chances, but it just goes to show that a little bit of neck and asking the question is always worth a shot. The worst that could have happened was that he would have said, no!

Nice result

Cheers

Peter

Advertisement