Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extenuating Doctor's Letter?

Options
  • 19-11-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Did anyone ever have a Doctor's letter refused if you applied for extenuating circumstances, I'm being treated for depression at the moment and I am on a lot of medication, it is has definitely affected as I have missed tests, essay deadlines. I have been treated for a few years and on the Doctor's letter it does mention that it is an enduring condition, is this likely to be a problem as I did have the condition before, it mentions in the application form that extenuating circumstances refer to 'unforseen or unpreventable circumstances'? Also, do you need to enter into a lot of detail of how the condiation has affected or do you think the Doctor's letter to be sufficient?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

I had a similar experience and my student counsellor was very, very helpful. I recommend going to talk to one. I had a doctor's note and backed it up with about 3 a4 pages worth of a description of my difficulties and how it affected my ability to be a student. You will have to fill out an extenuationg circumstances form and back it up with something like this. It's all in complete confidence and once you are honest and they know your condition you can jointly find a way to work around your issues. You can get deadlines extended or the chance to complete modules the following semester if needs be. Go talk to someone and get the ball rolling as soon as you can. If you have an illness, as you say you do, they will do everything they can to help. Just don't leave it too late and go do something about it now.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Dude240502 wrote: »
    Did anyone ever have a Doctor's letter refused if you applied for extenuating circumstances, I'm being treated for depression at the moment and I am on a lot of medication, it is has definitely affected as I have missed tests, essay deadlines. I have been treated for a few years and on the Doctor's letter it does mention that it is an enduring condition, is this likely to be a problem as I did have the condition before, it mentions in the application form that extenuating circumstances refer to 'unforseen or unpreventable circumstances'? Also, do you need to enter into a lot of detail of how the condiation has affected or do you think the Doctor's letter to be sufficient?

Maybe go chat to your student advisor, they can give you a supporting letter too, to further your supporting evidence.

I wrote about a page and a half (handwritten) to go with my app for last year and I didn't have a doctor's letter in the first semester.

Advertisement