Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eMobile upgrade question...?

Options
  • 19-11-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Bit of a long winded question, so please bear with me...:)

I have my mobile phone contract with eMobile for nearly a year and I'm quite happy with the service I get and would be quite happy to stay with them for another year when my contract comes up for renewal.

I have the Blackberry 9900 which is in perfect working order and I don't need (or want) to change it.

My son has my old Blackberry curve (which is on its last legs) on a Meteor PAYG and he would like to replace it with something like mine.

I was wondering if I could re-sign my contract for another year, avail of the upgrade to replace my Blackberry 9900 with another 9900 but have the new one unlocked to work with Meteor and give that to my son while I continue on the new contract but using my existing phone....? :confused:

I don't really want to just buy him a new phone on Meteor as they have a very limited choice of phones.

He wants to stay on Meteor because all his mates are on there with the €20pm top up (for the unlimited texts) of which €10 pays for the Blackberry add on.
    Unless of course eMobile offer something similar...?

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 690 ✭✭✭eMobile: Grainne

Bit of a long winded question, so please bear with me...:)

I have my mobile phone contract with eMobile for nearly a year and I'm quite happy with the service I get and would be quite happy to stay with them for another year when my contract comes up for renewal.

I have the Blackberry 9900 which is in perfect working order and I don't need (or want) to change it.

My son has my old Blackberry curve (which is on its last legs) on a Meteor PAYG and he would like to replace it with something like mine.

I was wondering if I could re-sign my contract for another year, avail of the upgrade to replace my Blackberry 9900 with another 9900 but have the new one unlocked to work with Meteor and give that to my son while I continue on the new contract but using my existing phone....? :confused:

I don't really want to just buy him a new phone on Meteor as they have a very limited choice of phones.

He wants to stay on Meteor because all his mates are on there with the €20pm top up (for the unlimited texts) of which €10 pays for the Blackberry add on.
    Unless of course eMobile offer something similar...?

Thanks.

Hi billy few mates,

Glad to hear you are happy with our service and that you are looking to renew your contract. If you wish to give your son your new eMobile phone you would have to get this unlocked first.

eMobile have a wide range of offers available on Prepaid that would definitely interest your son.

We have an offer at the cost of €20 you get 250 minutes 250 calls and 250MB of data and also free calls and texts to eMobile and Meteor customers and also unlimited calls to landlines. I feel this definitely would suit your sons needs. You can find more information on our offers here: http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/plans/prepay/

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Grainne

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thanks for the reply Grainne...
    If you wish to give your son your new eMobile phone you would have to get this unlocked first.
    Is it possible to do this...? I mean is the unlocking something you do or something I can do...?
    I would prefer to give him the new phone and I continue to use the existing phone if at all possible, it will make no difference to eMobile which phone I use as they will get the same money from me regardless....
    We have an offer at the cost of €20 you get 250 minutes 250 calls and 250MB of data and also free calls and texts to eMobile and Meteor customers and also unlimited calls to landlines. I feel this definitely would suit your sons needs.

Yes but would he still need the Blackberry 'Add On' seeing as its a Blackberry phone...?

With Meteor he tops up his phone by €20 every month, €10 (€9.99 actually) of this goes toward the Blackberry PAYG Add on which gives him 1GB of data, BB messenger, and more than enough access to his Facebook, Twitter, e-mail and whatever else teenagers do on their phones, the other €10 is used for call credit which likewise appears to be more than enough as from what I can see, teenagers don't really make that many calls, its all BBM, texts, e-mails and tweets, and obviously being Meteor, the €20 top up every thirty days gives him all the free texts he needs.
    http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/blackberry_payg/

Thanks for the reply Grainne...

Is it possible to do this...? I mean is the unlocking something you do or something I can do...?
    I would prefer to give him the new phone and I continue to use the existing phone if at all possible, it will make no difference to eMobile which phone I use as they will get the same money from me regardless....

Yes but would he still need the Blackberry 'Add On' seeing as its a Blackberry phone...?

With Meteor he tops up his phone by €20 every month, €10 (€9.99 actually) of this goes toward the Blackberry PAYG Add on which gives him 1GB of data, BB messenger, and more than enough access to his Facebook, Twitter, e-mail and whatever else teenagers do on their phones, the other €10 is used for call credit which likewise appears to be more than enough as from what I can see, teenagers don't really make that many calls, its all BBM, texts, e-mails and tweets, and obviously being Meteor, the €20 top up every thirty days gives him all the free texts he needs.
    http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/blackberry_payg/

No problem billy few mates,

Yes it is possible to get the unlocking code for the new phone but you would have to be out of contract in order to be eligible to receive the code.

Yes you are correct he would have to get a blackberry add - on at a cost of €9.99 per month. Your son can alternatively avail of our weekly top ups which vary in price. Details can be found in the link I provided above.

Gráinne

Yes it is possible to get the unlocking code for the new phone but you would have to be out of contract in order to be eligible to receive the code.

How could I be 'out of contract' to receive the code when I would have to sign up for a new contract to receive the phone in the first place...? :confused:

I'd just like to be able to sign up for the new contract, pay for the new phone and be able to hand it to my son so he can use it with his existing Meteor Sim and number while I continue to use the original phone....

Is this possible...?

Any update...?

• Advertisement

How could I be 'out of contract' to receive the code when I would have to sign up for a new contract to receive the phone in the first place...? :confused:

I'd just like to be able to sign up for the new contract, pay for the new phone and be able to hand it to my son so he can use it with his existing Meteor Sim and number while I continue to use the original phone....

Is this possible...?

Hi billy few mates,

If you renew your contract and wish to get the unlocking code it would only be possible to unlock your existing phone as the rules for obtaining the unlocking code is customers must be out of contract in order to receive the unlocking code.

Gráinne

So that's a no then....?

So that's a no then....?

Hi billy few mates,

Yes that is correct. It will only be possible to unlock the phone that you currently are using.

Gráinne

Ok thanks, I might just hold off on renewing my contract while I explore other options.....

Ok thanks, I might just hold off on renewing my contract while I explore other options.....

No problem billy few mates,

If you wish to receive a call back just advise me and I will be able request this for you.

Grainne

• Advertisement

Thanks Grainne, go ahead and arrange that, it might be easier to set something up by talking it through with someone.
    What I am trying to do won't affect eMobile one way or the other, I'll still have to buy the phone, I'll still be tied into the contract and using my phone the same as I always do, its just that I won't be using the new phone, I'll be continuing to use my old phone and my son will be using the new phone with his Meteor PAYG sim, you'll still be getting the same money one way or the other.
    If I find an alternative way to do this with another service provider you won't be getting any more money from me...

Thanks Grainne, go ahead and arrange that, it might be easier to set something up by talking it through with someone.
    What I am trying to do won't affect eMobile one way or the other, I'll still have to buy the phone, I'll still be tied into the contract and using my phone the same as I always do, its just that I won't be using the new phone, I'll be continuing to use my old phone and my son will be using the new phone with his Meteor PAYG sim, you'll still be getting the same money one way or the other.
    If I find an alternative way to do this with another service provider you won't be getting any more money from me...

Hi billy few mates,

If you Pm your mobile number and pin I will be able request this for you.

Grainne

Well I don't normally give my number to girls I meet on the internet but you seem nice.... :)

PM sent...

Well I don't normally give my number to girls I meet on the internet but you seem nice.... :)

PM sent...

Hi billy few mates,

Thanks for your details. I have sent this off to our sales team to give you a call.

Grainne

No calls yet Grainne....?

No calls yet Grainne....?

Hi billy few mates,

I have just sent you a PM.

Grainne

tumbleweed.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just to jump in on this...

EMobile and Meteor are effectively the same thing (same network, same back office infrastructure, same call centre in Cork). It's only a branding/marketing difference really. They're both owned by eircom.

As such I can't see why you can't give your son your own phone as he's on Meteor now/whenever you upgrade and it'll work fine. Have done it before myself without issues.

Thanks Kaiser, does that mean I could order a new phone and put my sons sim card into it (the new phone) and give it to him, while I just continue to use my existing phone as normal....?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks Kaiser, does that mean I could order a new phone and put my sons sim card into it (the new phone) and give it to him, while I just continue to use my existing phone as normal....?

Can't see why not. Bear in mind that a lot of the newer phones come with Micro SIMs so his existing SIM mightn't fit if it's standard size.

You can get sim card cutters/adapters though for a few quid on eBay

What I'd do myself here is put his SIM in your phone now and make sure it works as expected. Just call your house phone or another mobile or something but as I say, I've never had any issues swapping sims between these 2 networks (because they're the same thing :))

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Still no word Grainne....

Still no word Grainne....

Hi billy few mates,

I sent you a PM advising your best option is to call our sales team as they are unable to make outbound calls at the moment.

Grainne

Sorry Grainne, I misread your PM and thought they would call me back when they sorted out the problem.

@Kaiser2000, I did as you suggested and popped my son's sim card into my phone and it seemed to work ok, I'm pretty sure it was unlocked but Blackberry Protect popped up asking me to enter the details for BBM and I wasn't sure if it was asking for mine or my son's, and I didn't want to proceed in case I ended up totally confusing the thing.

I spoke to the upgrade department today and the girl I spoke to assured me that I would be able to do what I originally wanted (give the new phone to my son) as the new phone would work on either Meteor or Emobile.

Is this a misprint...?

http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/phones/details/?id=131

It says the Blackberry 9360 is an "Android smartphone" with a touchscreen..... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

It is a miss print. it runs the BlackBerry 7.1 OS and definitely not android

That's what I thought but when I spoke to the person at eMobile and told her what I was trying to do she suggested I consider the 9360 "Android" so that my son could benefit from the Android 'Apps' etc.
    It completely threw me as I didn't think a Blackberry could be compatible but she was adamant it was an 'Android Blackberry' so I said I'd check out the website to look at the phone and sure enough, there it was.... :confused:

I can't really consider this phone as verify the accuracy of any of the details but I would have been really 'displeased' if I'd ordered it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Wow. I can understand the website getting error, that happens, but the rep insisting it ran Android? That could cause everyone problems if people bought it expecting that. Still a useful phone all the same, even if it isn't android powered

I don't know how good it is as I can't rely on any of the information in the ad....

It clearly hasn't got a "4.7 inch touchscreen", but I don't know what other details are inaccurate.

You need to take down that ad Grainne, its misleading.....!

• Company Representative Posts: 424 Verified rep eMobile: Tony

I don't know how good it is as I can't rely on any of the information in the ad....

It clearly hasn't got a "4.7 inch touchscreen", but I don't know what other details are inaccurate.

You need to take down that ad Grainne, its misleading.....!

Hi Guys
    erm :o yes. Thanks for pointing this out..Looking into this now.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Just a quick update in case anyone might be interested.
    I ordered the phone and re-signed my contract for another year with E-Mobile.
    I gave the phone to my son and he put his Meteor Sim in it and it all worked perfectly.
    He's delighted with his new phone, I'm delighted with my old phone and presumable E-Mobile are delighted to have my business for another year....

Advertisement