Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have a real job

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Fair enough. Learn something new everyday!

"Learn something new everyday!" is more like an injunction than an admission of wrongdoing.
    Stop digging, your misplaced ellipsis was bad enough, pull yourself together man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

BASHIR wrote: »
    People who designed that poxy van and made that poxy ad were sitting at a desk in an office* presumably

If they were freelancers like me they were probably sitting naked in bed while smoking cigarettes and peeling potatoes with their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

smash wrote: »
    But most manual labour is not a real job. Mostly it has been replaced by machines and there's no work for whatever is left over for people to do anyway. It also requires little education.

So does sitting in a chair attending meetings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Hootanany wrote: »

DEPENDS.....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

OneArt wrote: »
    If they were freelancers like me they were probably sitting naked in bed while smoking cigarettes and peeling potatoes with their feet.

Now that's living the dream. kudos sir kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

I take bad manners on a phone all day. If I ever said what I really thought I'd be sacked in an hour.

No I don't have a real job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I meen a proper job not pushing pens and computer stuff
    Manual labour stuff that makes you sweat.

Ahh sure we just get the Polish to do that now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭jluv

I have a real job but today has been a day when I wish i hadn't..Been a bad one..
    Have to believe tomorrow will be better.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I'm a **** Pipe Inspector, Very Manual and Sweaty

Colonoscopy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

So it's a real job if you're one of a small number of people involved in doing something simple like building a wall. When it's a large number of people involved in something really complicated like running pharmaceuticals company, it's not real. But somehow there's a material output... magic, presumably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

CoderDozer wrote: »
    Colonoscopy?

Professional fist fucker

So it's a real job if you're one of a small number of people involved in doing something simple like building a wall. When it's a large number of people involved in something really complicated like running pharmaceuticals company, it's not real. But somehow there's a material output... magic, presumably.

So it takes loads of people to make pills while 1 person can build a wall I rest my case close the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Isn't manual labour something you do only if you've failed the leaving cert? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

So it takes loads of people to make pills while 1 person can build a wall I rest my case close the thread.

So obviously making pills is harder than building a wall. Anyone over the age of ten could build a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Isn't manual labour something you do only if you've failed the leaving cert? :pac:
    Sorry but I can't stop laughing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I model tights for a living.

9959 wrote: »
    "Learn something new everyday!" is more like an injunction than an admission of wrongdoing.
    Stop digging, your misplaced ellipsis was bad enough, pull yourself together man!
    http://i.imgur.com/5vQxV.gif

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

So obviously making pills is harder than building a wall. Anyone over the age of ten could build a wall.

Try saying that to the Chinese.

How is it it just pressing buttons.

How is it it just pressing buttons.

Research, marketing, testing, manufacturing and trials. You have to know a lot of biology and physics and you have to know chemistry inside-out. Memorising formulas and doing a whole lot of maths. In fact, pressing buttons is the last step of many. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I meen a proper job not pushing pens and computer stuff
    Manual labour stuff that makes you sweat.

I was going to say I had a real job, where I done actual work, but then you came along with the above.

In that case I don't have a real job. I do non-manual work. I've never sweated while working (unless that heat was up too high)

Youd never know though, when Im finished my getting my degree I might end up working manually if I can't get anything else.

edit: Ha no actually I will never, ever, ever get back togehter I meant I will never get a manual job. Too much work, and its too obvious when you take a little break for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Try saying that to the Chinese.

Heeer fong terrrn ...pin ton pang..tuuur tang pang .. a big warr

Research, marketing, testing, manufacturing and trials. You have to know a lot of biology and physics and you have to know chemistry inside-out. Memorising formulas and doing a whole lot of maths. In fact, pressing buttons is the last step of many. ;)

Just making roles to justifie the high price of your product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Ill just type this up on my invisible typewriter.

Where is that from ... driving me crazy ...isn't it Chief Wiggum on the Sipmsons ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

It takes one person to create a website, but it took thousands to build the twin towers.
    I reopen your case.

Why are house extensions so expensive? Sure it's just bricks n plaster...

The company wouldnt function without those roles. I agree, the prices are too high but I don't care because it's the area I want to get in to after college :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Anybody who is not an engineer has a made up job.

Lock the thread.

Folks I just asked a question
    Don't want to get in to an argument but Office jobs arnt really jobs are they.
    Like office runners HR office clerks facility managers other people could do that in there scope of works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Yes they are.

• Advertisement

Like office runners HR office clerks facility managers other people could do that in there scope of works.
    And sure anyone who's used Lego can build a house.

And sure anyone who's used Lego can build a house.

I don't build houses
    I have a real job.

I don't build houses
    I have a real job.
    Enlighten us

Enlighten us

Not biteing

Again only asked a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Larianne wrote: »
    I model tights for a living.

Ah I knew that was you on the wall in Penney's! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Auldloon wrote: »
    Yes I'm a sheet metal worker in the aircraft industry. You don't see many fat guys in my trade it's hard graft sometimes. It's also mentally challenging, designing and planning repairs, interpreting drawings etc. I'm completely knackered by the end of the day, most days.
    keep at it son,better to have a mentaly challenging job than to be called mentaly challenged,like some of us.:pac:

havent got any job but am kind enough to be making regular job opportunities for people in the care industry, its also a hard job creating challenge for the staff which am under strict instructions by the owner of this organisation and home to do so, recently sent an email to the org/home site under name of a keyworker of mine asking the management for femine hygeine deodorant and wipes to be supplied for staff as its a physicaly demanding job on those areas,the service manager who is a nob fell for it and spoke to keyworker to say she needs to buy her own feminine hygeine products,she didnt have a clue what she was on about but even she twigged who it was quickly enough,see this is why some people shoudnt be in management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

There really isn't any argument to be had anyway, any occupation at which you are gainfully employed, is a job.

What you quantify as a "real" job after that, is your own business. There are days when I could tear my hair out in frustration sitting at my office desk, but I don't think I could ever go back to shovelling **** and mopping up puke and all the various physically labour intensive jobs I had to do to pay to educate myself to a level where I'm not outdoors freezing my balls off for not a whole lot above minimum wage.

I have nothing against anyone doing manual or physical labour, but to try and introduce some sort of bitter "reverse snobbery" as if those who don't do physical labour are somehow "not worthy"?

You're not an out of work brickie by any chance? Because that's one awfully big chip on your shoulder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭Hooked

Czarcasm wrote: »

There really isn't any argument to be had anyway, any occupation at which you are gainfully employed, is a job.

What you quantify as a "real" job after that, is your own business. There are days when I could tear my hair out in frustration sitting at my office desk, but I don't think I could ever go back to shovelling **** and mopping up puke and all the various physically labour intensive jobs I had to do to pay to educate myself to a level where I'm not outdoors freezing my balls off for not a whole lot above minimum wage.

I have nothing against anyone doing manual or physical labour, but to try and introduce some sort of bitter "reverse snobbery" as if those who don't do physical labour are somehow "not worthy"?

You're not an out of work brickie by any chance? Because that's one awfully big chip on your shoulder!

Amen brother!!!

When the lads on the printfloor try and have ago at me 'drinking tea' or sitting down all day... I'm quick to remind them I held a very labour intensive job 5 days a week for 7 years while doing 40 hours at college to sit at my computer designing all day today!

Not a real job? You try and design upwards of 12 orders a day, constantly thinking, juggling people and pressure. Or are you too tired lugging paper and ink about the place...

And to those having a go at office and computer staff. Who'd you think built and maintains this site? Carpenters and electricians is it? Jesus wept!

But it's not a real job is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

'Office jobs'

Your doctors receptionists who ensure you don't go for a colonoscopy instead of an x-ray, the people who maintain your finances, utilities and services, the service industry who generate half the gdp of this country (also providing demand for the products of 'real' jobs)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Hmmm justify the high price of a product. Hmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Or just sit in an Office pretending.

Oh wise one . Could you advise the cretins among us what a "real" job is ? I really want to know . I may just not go to work tomorrow depending on your response . !!

efla wrote: »
    'Office jobs'

Your doctors receptionists who ensure you don't go for a colonoscopy instead of an x-ray, the people who maintain your finances, utilities and services, the service industry who generate half the gdp of this country (also providing demand for the products of 'real' jobs)?

They answer phones I answer my own phone even when I'm busy

So you can answer a phone. Does that make you more intelligent than a 3yr old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The ironing is delicious...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

But it's not a real job is it

I've just given you my opinion on what a real job is- any occupation at which you are gainfully employed!

I really don't see the point in this thread when all you as the OP have contributed to it is "but office work isn't a real job, is it?". You haven't contributed anything useful to the thread yet, and when one poster inquired as to what you do for a living, your response was "I'm not biting"?

The hell is that even supposed to mean? You as the OP started a thread and you have given no basis or insight into why you hold the opinion you do, besides "I'm just asking". Well I'm just asking then-

What do you do for a living that you feel qualifies you to be able to judge what is a "real" job, as you put it, and what isn't a "real" job, in your opinion?

I highly doubt someone who can't use full stops can answer a phone in fairness.

I've just given you my opinion on what a real job is- any occupation at which you are gainfully employed!

I really don't see the point in this thread when all you as the OP have contributed to it is "but office work isn't a real job, is it?". You haven't contributed anything useful to the thread yet, and when one poster inquired as to what you do for a living, your response was "I'm not biting"?

The hell is that even supposed to mean? You as the OP started a thread and you have given no basis or insight into why you hold the opinion you do, besides "I'm just asking". Well I'm just asking then-

What do you do for a living that you feel qualifies you to be able to judge what is a "real" job, as you put it, and what isn't a "real" job, in your opinion?

If you must know I have Garden Centre that I run myself,no hangers on and no Grammar Nazies allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

If you must know I have Garden Centre that I run myself,no hangers on and no Grammar Nazies allowed

I have a garden that grows itself. That's not a real job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Pfft, that's not a real job!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement