Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have a real job

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Scioch wrote: »
    I'm a wizard.
    You wave your wand around all day?
    Where is that from ... driving me crazy ...isn't it Chief Wiggum on the Sipmsons ???
    Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Hootanany wrote: »
    If you must know I have Garden Centre that I run myself,no hangers on and no Grammar Nazies allowed

So when your doing up your books and your orders it's not a real job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

delad wrote: »
    Do you know how hard it is to sit down for 8 hours a day and stare at a computer?! You wouldn't last a second in our world. its absolutely gruelling and I would take a manual job over it any day of the week.

Oh cry me a river, if you think getting paid a reasonable wage to sit on your ass at a computer is "absolutely gruelling" then you clearly you have no idea what absolutely gruelling even is.

Sure, I'd imagine it's tedious and boring but absolutely gruelling? Give me a break! There are people who'd give anything to swap circumstances with you so spare us the pity party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

If you must know I have Garden Centre that I run myself,no hangers on and no Grammar Nazies allowed

You must return here with a shrubbery or you can no longer post in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

So you sell people seeds and flowers. That's not a real job.

This trolling lark is fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. At the end of the book/show a race made 3 big ship - arks.

They put all the office drones and telephone sanitisers into Ark B. And told them they would catch up later, but were never seen again.
    Turned out that the entire race died from a particularly dirty telephone receiver.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Nah, I prepare invisible food for fake customers all day and get paid in IOUs written by Santa. I look forward with anticipation to the day when I can work harder for less money on a construction site or in a Garden Centre.

Out of curiosity, doesn't owning/running a garden centre require, oh, some office work? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Or just sit in an Office pretending.

Are you trying to sell a van

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I sweat in my sleep, like everyone else does.
    I love my real job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Eathrin wrote: »
    I sweat in my sleep, like everyone else does.
    I love my real job

As in, **** in real life as apposed to your wet dreams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

1ZRed wrote: »

As in, **** in real life as apposed to your wet dreams?
    Wet dreams require thinking.
    Everybody knows that a thinking job is not a real job ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ok ok let's clear this up , I was made redundant in march and my job involved sitting at a computer for long periods of time . I since got a new job which isn't paid as much and is manual labour . Which job do I prefere ?

The new job by far . I actually have had a few bad dreams about going back to my old job.

It wasn't all the sitting at a desk, but having to make targets that just weren't possible.

My only target in my new job is to turn up and work hard and then go home and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I create markets for humans to bet on. Horse Racing markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

dave3004 wrote: »
    I create markets for humans to bet on. Horse Racing markets.

like appleby boss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I did many "real" jobs while I was a student and looking out at the rain today I was never so glad to be in my office. I'll take my well paid "fake" job over a poorly paid real job any day. By the way op, do your solicitor, accountant, doctor or insurance broker have "real" jobs to pay their bills or do they simply pay them using money you give them for doing things that anyone could do because there not "real" jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Where is that from ... driving me crazy ...isn't it Chief Wiggum on the Sipmsons ???

:D Tis Indeed!

Office jobs are obviously real jobs.. Did two years after uni in an office. Now I'm an esl teacher and was just chatting to another teacher yesterday about the idea of going back to an office. Will have to do it someday but the idea of it is seriously unappealing. Those two years literally mean nothing to me now and i couldn't distinguish one really good memory out of it even though I enjoyed it at the time.

Really feels like looking back at one long day at work.. I guess the Op is right in that sense. Ya make something and it's memorable. For me, I can easily apply that to so many different students and classes. The job feels like its got worth and it's more enjoyable because it's not just crunching numbers for the same hedge fund day in day out.

I think the perfect balance would be science, programming or engineering etc. With projects being distinctive instead of work being slapped on your desk. I did enjoy it and while I generated income for the company, it does feel like it meant nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Office jobs are obviously real jobs.. Did two years after uni in an office. Now I'm an esl teacher and was just chatting to another teacher yesterday about the idea of going back to an office. Will have to do it someday but the idea of it is seriously unappealing. Those two years literally mean nothing to me now and i couldn't distinguish one really good memory out of it even though I enjoyed it at the time.

Really feels like looking back at one long day at work.. I guess the Op is right in that sense. Ya make something and it's memorable. For me, I can easily apply that to so many different students and classes. The job feels like its got worth and it's more enjoyable because it's not just crunching numbers for the same hedge fund day in day out.

I think the perfect balance would be science, programming or engineering etc. With projects being distinctive instead of work being slapped on your desk. I did enjoy it and while I generated income for the company, it does feel like it meant nothing.

But by that same token then, it would take a particularly bitter individual to be so equally dismissive as the OP and say he does nothing all day but potter around his garden. That's not a real job, that's a hobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Manual Labour? Isn't he not a Spanish singer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Well, I do work and I get paid.
    I think that's pretty much the definition of a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I presume you are paying tax for this Garden Centre you run?

• Office jobs are obviously real jobs.. Did two years after uni in an office. Now I'm an esl teacher and was just chatting to another teacher yesterday about the idea of going back to an office. Will have to do it someday but the idea of it is seriously unappealing. Those two years literally mean nothing to me now and i couldn't distinguish one really good memory out of it even though I enjoyed it at the time.

Just don't do office work, then. Some of us aren't got cut out for 9-5 office jobs. I've tried it a few times and I hate it. Just feels like 8 hours of nothing, same thing day in, day out. Unless I got a job which involved some creativity, where individual projects were involved instead of a boring stream of documents, I could never go back into an office. I'm considered staying in TEFL and becoming a Director of Studies or something like that...it's not all badly paid and unprofessional. I'd also consider becoming cabin crew if I weren't so travel sick - my friend is doing that and it's amazing how much he gets to travel and all the places he sees. I think life is too short to sit at a desk crunching numbers all day.

OP did you buy a Renault van on the back of their TV ad and have buyers remorse now?

For the record I have an office job that allows me to be on boards during the day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm the controls engineer for Gatwick's baggage handling systems. Have you flown out of Gatwick recently and your checked baggage traveled with you?

You're welcome. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Its funny that the OP slated office jobs s "Not real Jobs" but yet he runs a garden center.

haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not yet don't have a real job at the moment. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I used to work in an open plan office with 30 other people but I have been confined to a room by myself in a seperate building ever since the toner cartridge in the photocopier blew up and Alison in accounts got pregnant.

P.S. Granted these were two seperate incidents but I may have involved in both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Research bioinformatician. I'm somewhere between a programmer, statistician and a microbiologist, handling large biological data sets and turning them into useful results. I'm the guy who says "Based on the numbers, here are the genes responsible for making [previously unknown antibiotic substance], tell the folks in the lab to clone that bit. Could be good for a new drug down the line."

That sh*t's pretty real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

If you can't explain your job to a five year old then it's not important

Plazaman did the ink cartridge make the girl pregnant when it exploded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

The OP is a moron.

I have the best job in the world. I am paid to travel the world working on client sites and when I am not onsite I work from home where I get up at about 11 and finish up at about 5. I get all my meals paid for me and I fly first class and stay in 5 star hotels.

I get more satisfaction from completing a project than the OP every could laying a few bricks.

I worked hard to get where I am today and I won't have some out of work loser tell me that my job doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

No job, no GF and no car. But I do have a massive hangover from going out on a Monday night, getting a Wii U and getting a new phone... moral of the story is no GF or car = money to buy things that actually matter. YUP I know, I have my priorities right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

I'm a garda, who lives on conflakes. :*(

Well if you aren't happy with me then just leave, go on, go back to that bitch special K, I've seen you two together, you're welcome to her !

Kji you seemed annoyed. I think you should find the OP and kill or else just punish him for his comments

doovdela wrote: »
    Not yet don't have a real job at the moment. :/

The OP shall be along shortly to look down their nose at you and try to impose their smug superiority complex upon you :rolleyes:

sfwcork wrote: »
    Plazaman did the ink cartridge make the girl pregnant when it exploded?

If the baby comes out black, cyan, yelllow or magenta, then Plazaman is NOT the father. /Jeremy Kyle :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Terrible attempt by the troll.

I actually laughed at his constant use of "but its not a real job" phrase though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We'd have to do away with machines or drastically reduce the working week for everyone to be in a job that produces something of value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

How do I contact them and have they got large staff numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I'm the controls engineer for Gatwick's baggage handling systems. Have you flown out of Gatwick recently and your checked baggage traveled with you?

You're welcome. :)

That's a real job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

That's a real job
    But planting flowers in pots isn't.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »

Yes it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I work on projects mainly so it is essentially based in various offices. However it is a 'real job' and generally I can see massive changes in organisations after a project has been completed. Don't think you have to be outside, sweating or fixing/building things in order to have a real job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yes it is.
    You must feel very macho when you water your roses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Yes I do have a real job.
    I'm a student and part time fish farmer.
    I spend alot of time sitting in front of a computer monitoring fish, but also driving boats, fixing things, and feeding fish.
    I produce something of actual value to the world.

The hardest job in the world is probably one of these ones where you just do paperwork all day. With nothing to show for your work.
    At least a manual labour job allows you to actually see what you've done eg. that floors clean, those boxes are over there now, that walls built etc etc.

Anyway, your definition of a real job is bollox.
    Some of these office types work insane hours and can't just finish at 5 and forget about the job. It eats into their personal time like a disease, for that I think they deserve the money. It might not be physically hard but it requires alot of thought and dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

LMAO - I know what you're talking about, I once had one job in which I sat in my office pretending. But most of my jobs have involved LOTS of work. The one I have right now is rather okay, but during the last few weeks I've been getting so much to work on, that I always have something in my "to do" list, when before, I seldom did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Don't want to get in to an argument but Office jobs arnt really jobs are they.

Not biteing

Yet you expect others to!

Anyone that does an 'imaginary' job for actual money deserves to be applauded!

smash wrote: »

I think the OP may be embellishing their job description.

Sounds to me like they spend far too much time cultivating poppies of the opiate variety and have been sampling the produce.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I think the OP may be embellishing their job description.

Sounds to me like they spend far too much time cultivating poppies of the opiate variety and have been sampling the produce.

Do you not think that offices just created roles to spend budgets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You shouldn't concern yourself with things that are outside your comprehension. I'm sure you have sh!t to shovel or plants to water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

how old are you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement