Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 1,000 Euro Gaming System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

PSU isn't great. This would be better. Gigabyte aren't the most reliable board manufacturers any more either. I'd go with ASRock if I were you. Better graphics card too.

I don't like that case, personally. Looks like it won't be the best for airflow or noise either. Something like this Shinobi would suit better, IMO.

Also, depending on what sort of coding you're doing, you probably won't need 16GB of RAM, but it's not like it's crazy expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Serephucus wrote: »
    PSU isn't great. This would be better. Gigabyte aren't the most reliable board manufacturers any more either. I'd go with ASRock if I were you. Better graphics card too.

I don't like that case, personally. Looks like it won't be the best for airflow or noise either. Something like this Shinobi would suit better, IMO.

Also, depending on what sort of coding you're doing, you probably won't need 16GB of RAM, but it's not like it's crazy expensive.

Thanks for your reply.

I am using the gigabyte motherboard as it is noted as being one of the most compatible by Tony Mac's guide.

I will most deffinetly look into the GPU and other recommendations. The price of ram is great so thought I might aswell spring for the extra 8gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Ahh so I guess you are. I'll echo that there's no need for 16GB of RAM. That money might be better put towards a CPU cooler for better overclocks. Also the 23" Dell is only a fiver more.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have added the updated case, psu and monitor, new build included below. Also worth noting I will have to use the nvidia 6xx series as the AMD 7XXX are not compatible. I may look at cutting the ram down if funds dictate as I am ever so slightly over budget, but within the 10% I am allowing myself.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€209.08
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Basic|€79.99
    Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, Intel Z77, ATX|€129.14
    MSI N660-2GD/OC, GeForce GTX 660, 2048MB DDR5|€200.33
    16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance schwarz PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24|€76.45
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€70.76
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€53.03
    Dell UltraSharp U2312HM|€199.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1036.77

So... you're building a Hackintosh... for gaming? Maybe I'm missing something.

• Advertisement

So... you're building a Hackintosh... for gaming? Maybe I'm missing something.
    Thanks for your reply

No, but would be happy to sacrifice a small amount of performance for the ability to run osx were possible. I only use PC in the office and would rather only use windows were I have no choice.

Ah, fair enough then.

Could also run Linux. If it's an Anti-Windows thing, vs. a Pro-OSX thing.

Ah, fair enough then.

Could also run Linux. If it's an Anti-Windows thing, vs. a Pro-OSX thing.

Will most deffinetly try Linux.

macken04 wrote: »

Will most deffinetly try Linux.

Would anyone have an idea if I could get a better GPU in the 660 family for the price and would the 660 be doing the monitor justice in terms of resolution on recent games?

Thanks - Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I went from using OS X ( fan boy and all) for nearly 9 years to Windows 7 because, I wanted gaming PC. 3 years now with Windows and isn't really all that bad. Getting a virus was my biggest concern but, to my surprise Widows has been very secure.

• Advertisement

I went from using OS X ( fan boy and all) for nearly 9 years to Windows 7 because, I wanted gaming PC. 3 years now with Windows and isn't really all that bad. Getting a virus was my biggest concern but, to my surprise Widows has been very secure.
    Thanks for the reply

I will defo be using both os'. Looking to order the right on Friday.

Advertisement