Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't we curse in PM?

Options
  • 19-11-2012 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this should be in Helpdesk, I wasn't 100% sure where to put it.

I'm just wondering why we can't use profanity in PM? I can totally understand why it's filtered in public posts, but in PM surely the filter should be disabled?

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm sure one of the tech guys will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine that vBulletin only caters for an all-or-nothing swear filter that applies to everything on the site. Maintaining separate swear filters for different parts would be labour intensive and would possibly also result in the deaths of several hamsters due to overwork. You wouldn't want that on your conscience now, would you?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Can't be disabled in PM, it's all or nothing with the swear filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Fiddlesticks.

Thanks for the replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Is the swear filter really necessary? I'd prefer to see the curse word rather than a bunch of stars.

Only a sensitive soul would have a problem with seeing a swear word. Do you really want to specifically cater for sensitive souls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Blatter wrote: »
    Is the swear filter really necessary? I'd prefer to see the curse word rather than a bunch of stars.

Only a sensitive soul would have a problem with seeing a swear word. Do you really want to specifically cater for sensitive souls?
    what about kids who have just turned 13 and sign up for boards?

we don't want to be chased down by mammies with rolling pins :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what about them, they know those words a long time by 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

what about them, they know those words a long time by 13
    Maybe you did, and I know I did but we're just two out of how many kids out there. Boards is a PG-13 site, so the swear filter was implemented.

being completely honest I think there are much better ways to get your - not directed at you or anyone in particular more in the generic case - point without resorting to expletives.

Ah fudgesickles. I like swearing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

we don't want to be chased down by mammies with rolling pins :pac:

Ah, fúck them tbh :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Blatter wrote: »
    Ah, fuck them tbh :pac:

Please use a little bit more effort to get around it next time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

With these new, highly visible four-stars under all our user names, are you effectively calling us all ****s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm sure one of the tech guys will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine that vBulletin only caters for an all-or-nothing swear filter that applies to everything on the site.

You're hired, welcome to the tech team :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You're hired, welcome to the tech team :pac:

It's a dream come true!

So what happens if I press this big red bu.........ooops, my hand slipped...

Advertisement