Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get a surveyor in?

• 19-11-2012 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭

Would appreciate some advice on this..

House was built 5-6 years ago and has a lot of cracks (inside and outside) - although I have never lived in a new house so nothing to compare it to. Sometimes it bothers my other half and I think she has been spooked by some documentaries about pyrite etc. I think they are normal cracks and just part of the house settling - although I have noticed that all the similar type houses in the estate have cracks in the same places around the dormer windows which is a bit worrying.

To put everyone's mind at ease I was considering getting a surveyor in - would appreciate your opinions on this!! And an idea of a price for a good surveyor.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Would appreciate some advice on this..

House was built 5-6 years ago and has a lot of cracks (inside and outside) - although I have never lived in a new house so nothing to compare it to. Sometimes it bothers my other half and I think she has been spooked by some documentaries about pyrite etc. I think they are normal cracks and just part of the house settling - although I have noticed that all the similar type houses in the estate have cracks in the same places around the dormer windows which is a bit worrying.

To put everyone's mind at ease I was considering getting a surveyor in - would appreciate your opinions on this!! And an idea of a price for a good surveyor.

Thanks in advance

Shoddy external render/plastering work perhaps???

Theres a trick that is done by some plasterers with washing up liquid and rendering/plastering,but if it goes wrong,then it can be "crack city".:o:eek:

Also plaster being forced to dry out fast on the inside can lead to cracking too...ie using propane heaters and central heating to dry the house out rapidly

No harm to get in a structural engineer or the builder that originally built the home (if he is still going).

Would homebond cover this type of situation??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Homebond will only cover structural issues so you neeed to confirm what you are dealing with.

For piece of mind get a survey done. Cost should be no more than €300-400 on average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

paddy147 wrote: »
    Shoddy external render/plastering work perhaps???

Don't think this is it - there is also a lot of cracks on inside and I don't think there would be matching cracks on all the houses if this was the case??

Theres a trick that is done by some plasterers with washing up liquid and rendering/plastering,but if it goes wrong,then it can be "crack city".:o:eek:

Also plaster being forced to dry out fast on the inside can lead to cracking too...ie using propane heaters and central heating to dry the house out rapidly

This is probably a contributor factor all right - moved in the depths of Winter with a young baby so was unavoidable really. The ones that are worrying herself most are at the joins of the external block built wall with the ceilings/ stud walls upstairs. (Its a dormer with block built walls downstairs and stud walls upstairs).

No harm to get in a structural engineer or the builder that originally built the home (if he is still going).

Builder was a victim of the bust and is long gone

Would homebond cover this type of situation??
    From talking to other people homebond pretty much covers nothing.

Thanks for response Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

kkelliher wrote: »
    Homebond will only cover structural issues so you neeed to confirm what you are dealing with.

For piece of mind get a survey done. Cost should be no more than €300-400 on average

Yeah am under no illusions about homebond.

€300 - €400 is a lot of money at the moment but I suppose I will have to put a price on peace of mind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Yeah am under no illusions about homebond.

€300 - €400 is a lot of money at the moment but I suppose I will have to put a price on peace of mind..

what is it the mastercard ad used to promote...... Piece of mind....Priceless

• Advertisement
Advertisement