Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat sceen going?

Options
  • 19-11-2012 10:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭

I bought a flat screen pc eight years ago. I am having problems recently with hitting hyperlinks on the bottom and left hand side of the screen. I have a new mouse and keyboard so that is not the problem. Could it be a bug or is this an indication that the screen has lived its last day? I mean I got a fair bang out of it. I can't afford to bring it to pc shop and I don't have time either as I need it for my assessments and work every day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

8 years!! Miracle haha you can easily get a 2nd hand LCD screen on adverts.ie pretty cheaply seeing as new 17" LCDS are about €80+

Need more information but unless its a touchscreen, the display should have no effect on whether you can click links or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

when did you last update your graphics card drivers?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Need more information but unless its a touchscreen, the display should have no effect on whether you can click links or not.

That was my first thoughts alright. Sounds more like GPU issues to me but not sure, its a strange one!

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Y
    when did you last update your graphics card drivers?
    Have no idea what that is or means?

• Advertisement

eternal wrote: »
    Y
    Have no idea what that is or means?

your graphics card requires software to run properly

if yours is buggy, corrupt or out of date it may cause display issues.

what graphics card have you got?

your graphics card requires software to run properly

if yours is buggy, corrupt or out of date it may cause display issues.

what graphics card have you got?
    Im trying to update it there. Its SiS 650/651/740 etc. Some of them are looking for bobs.

Im trying to update it there. Its SiS 650/651/740 etc. Some of them are looking for bobs.

Drivers are free, follow the guide here to get your drivers

Nick

The graphics on that link do not work for me but cheers anyway. sure sign I do need to upgrade? I am attempting to download from a free site but it has been installing for over two hours now. I need to find a man who can fix cars and computers, I am always moaning about one or the other.

The graphics on that link do not work for me but cheers anyway. sure sign I do need to upgrade? I am attempting to download from a free site but it has been installing for over two hours now. I need to find a man who can fix cars and computers, I am always moaning about one or the other.
    Be very careful if you are installing a driver from a third party site. Can cause a lot more problems than it potentially fixes. Run a full malware (virus) scan after it finishes installing.

• Advertisement

Appologies fot that, you could try the drivers here. Failing that I havn't a clue tbh man! DriverGuide may have them

Nick

what is the make and model of your pc? if we knew that we could look it up and find you the right drivers for it

what is the make and model of your pc? if we knew that we could look it up and find you the right drivers for it
    The driver is the one I mentioned earlier. Now the links at the top of the screen are not working.

Barely working at all now thanks to the ****e i have downloaded. Got nothing done tonight for messing with it.

What does it mean when in Mozilla is says script cannot continue and shuts down?

What does it mean when in Mozilla is says script cannot continue and shuts down?

Does the computer shut down or the web browser?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »

Does the computer shut down or the web browser?

Nick
    The browser shuts down until i tick the little box but moments later it happens again.

The browser shuts down until i tick the little box but moments later it happens again.

What plugins are you using, does it only happen on a particular website?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

My LG 22" monitor won't turn on. I've had it more than 3 years now I think. There's no sign of life at all. I tried plugging into a different socket, tried using a kettle lead from another monitor but it just won't turn on. Is it safe to say it's time fork out on a new one ? :(

jamescd wrote: »
    My LG 22" monitor won't turn on. I've had it more than 3 years now I think. There's no sign of life at all. I tried plugging into a different socket, tried using a kettle lead from another monitor but it just won't turn on. Is it safe to say it's time fork out on a new one ? :(

Prob needs capacitors replaced, could get it repaired or just get a new one (if bad caps is the issue I don't think repair would cost too much)

Nick

• Advertisement

Prob needs capacitors replaced, could get it repaired or just get a new one (if bad caps is the issue I don't think repair would cost too much)

Nick

Roughly how much would that cost and where would be a good place in Dublin to bring it?

Spotted this on amazon, any thoughts ? I need a new one very quickly (or repair if that's feasible), can only do so much on an Ipad.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-S240HLbid-widescreen-monitor-Backlight/dp/tech-data/B005QVZ79C/ref=de_a_smtd

Roughly how much would that cost and where would be a good place in Dublin to bring it?

Spotted this on amazon, any thoughts ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-S240HLbid-widescreen-monitor-Backlight/dp/tech-data/B005QVZ79C/ref=de_a_smtd

Havn't a clue tbh, bring it into a repair place and see how much it would cost. I replaced capacitors myself, not that hard to do but obviously requires soldering. It may be something completely different also, but monitors fail quite a bit due to leaking/bulging capacitors.
    Honestly no clue how much this repair should cost (if problem is bad caps), but I'd say 60-70/80€ or cheaper; not much more. It may be cheaper for you just to get a new screen

Nick

Havn't a clue tbh, bring it into a repair place and see how much it would cost. I replaced capacitors myself, not that hard to do but obviously requires soldering. It may be something completely different also, but monitors fail quite a bit due to leaking/bulging capacitors.
    Honestly no clue how much this repair should cost (if problem is bad caps), but I'd say 60-70/80€ or cheaper; not much more. It may be cheaper for you just to get a new screen

Nick

Thanks I'll just buy a new one then as I need a working monitor fast. I see you have a Benq 24" in your sig, would you recommend it ? Here's the link again

Edit: sorry just realised its an acer not a Benq. Don't know why I thought it was a Benq lol

What plugins are you using, does it only happen on a particular website?

Nick
    I use ones like adobe they seem to be out of date though. But i dont seem to be able to update them

Was expecting delivery of my new monitor today. On the An Post tracking page, it says it's "On route to cusomter" since like 1pm yesterday so I thought I'd definitely be getting it this morning. Saw the An Post van 2 minutes ago drive past my house without stopping, looks like I'll be without a monitor over the weekend :(

Was expecting delivery of my new monitor today. On the An Post tracking page, it says it's "On route to cusomter" since like 1pm yesterday so I thought I'd definitely be getting it this morning. Saw the An Post van 2 minutes ago drive past my house without stopping, looks like I'll be without a monitor over the weekend :(

Give it time, have received stuff pretty late from An Post before (5/6 o clock)!
    I use ones like adobe they seem to be out of date though. But i dont seem to be able to update them
    To update them all together use the excellent free tool: Ninite which will do the job. Although your issue could be something different like overheating or something causing your issues if a graphics driver upgrade didn't help

Nick

Advertisement