Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to take for new licence to process?

Options
  • 19-11-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭

I've read the sticky and the appropriate garda pages and cannot find this info except for a vague reference to up to 3 months. Sorry if I have missed an obvious answer.

I have just moved back to Ireland and want to take ownership of my fathers shotgun. Quite keen to get my cert asap as I have been invited to a driven pheasant shoot on 15th December and would be gutted to miss it!

I am experienced with firearms, shooting many clays for fun at a local gun club and as a youngster shot 7.62 target rifles competitively at the NRA Imperial meeting in Bisley for three years running.

Does anyone have recent experience of how long a new application has taken in reality? Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Depends on your district...could be a week, 3 months or even a year. It should be a maximum of three months.

All you can do is hand in the paperwork with everything correctly filled out and any additional paperwork supplied, after that it's in the super's hands.

How long are you back in Ireland btw? Is it less than 6 months?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭hometruths

Yep it is less than 6 months, just. Came back full time in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

As far as I know you need to be resident here for at least 6 months before you can hold a licence.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭hometruths

Ah, well that could be a problem. That is not until January! Will go back into the garda station and check. I was born and resident here for 25 years before I left, so hopefully that might count for something.

Advertisement