Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HDD problem

Options
  • 19-11-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hello,

I have an external hard drive that I keep music, movies, photos etc on.

Recently this HDD stopped working when connected to both my laptop or desktop computer but oddly works fine when connected to any off my televisions, ps3 etc.

When connected to the computers it's asking to format the drive.

I think this problem may have coincided with plugging into one of the TVs for the first time but still seems strange. Perhaps it's related to the file system???

Any help here would be appreciated in terms of getting the drive working properly again or a best case scenario.

Thanks,
    Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mickquinn05

Could be as Playstation uses the FAT32 file system, most PCs and that use the NTFS format so maybe the Television or one of the devices done a format on it can you still see your files on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

Could be as Playstation uses the FAT32 file system, most PCs and that use the NTFS format so maybe the Television or one of the devices done a format on it can you still see your files on it?

Hi -

Yes I can see the files etc on the TVs but not on both computers.

Thanks
    Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

you said "I think this problem may have coincided with plugging into one of the TVs for the first time"

if you get the make and model of the tv - google it with words like "hard drive formatting issues" etc
    see if you get any answers from that
    if it is the case that the tv formatted the drive in such a way that the computers can't see the files now then it is maybe a case of recovering the files onto another drive - formatting the drive with a computer and once the files are back on it don't plug it into that tv anymore .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Try booting pc with mint version 10,live cd,or dsl cdrom,damn small linux 150meg,using cdr disc
    then see if you can browse drive, in ,computer, files ,drive 0,drive 1 etc
    linux live cd mint is 630meg iso file,burn iso ,download,
    burn iso to cdr use Imgburn.free program.

if live cd sees files it could be usb ,driver or os issue.
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html
    get iso file,download,
    burn to a cdr ,put in cdr in pc cdrom drive.
    Reboot the pc,.
    linux os should boot in about 3 to 4 minutes ,boots to ram,
    does not touch drive c.

• Advertisement
Advertisement