Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Engineer Options

Options
  • 19-11-2012 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I was wondering if anybody has any advice/experience for a Mechanical Engineer looking to do something different. I'm 10yrs doing something I'm not overly fond of. I have a "good job" that pays pretty decent, and am very grateful for it.

I did Mech. Eng. in college pretty blind, not knowing a whole pile about it. I'm not in a position (mortgage/family) to be able to stop working and take up a new career path on a full-time basis, so I'm looking to cross over with the aid of a postgrad...

Anybody done similar and if so what direction did ye go?

Also, are Open University postgrads worthwhile...are they "worth" anything?

The other difficulty I face is I am not entirely certain what direction I actually want to go :confused:....so I need to figure this out...I dont want to be doing the same thing I did 14 years ago!!

So maybe some career guidance would be sensible...again, has anybody any experience with this?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is there any part of your job/career at the moment that you like?

Or say in college was there any subject that you liked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I did Mech Eng and did a Masters straight after college. I worked as a Mech Eng for about 5 or 6 years and drifted into Software Development. I have a different approach to problems than normal CS graduates etc. because of my background. This has its advantages as I get involved in a lot of Engineering related software because I have knowledge that most "normal" software guys haven't. This very often throws up niche opportunities that are only suited to a small number of people, one of them being me.

As the previous poster said, pick a few things that you like and see if you can pursue them. Don't forget, if they're a little removed from Mech Eng, you will end up being a relatively unique person, hopefully a very employable unique person.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

Cheers folks...
    In terms of parts of job i like its pretty limited i'm afraid!
    Project management maybe... After that I'm struggling. Project management is quite transferable I guess, maybe that's an avenue I could go down along with a business aspect to it...

Advertisement