Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail deliveries

Options
  • 19-11-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,469 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone aware of any holdups of mail between Ireland and Vermont at the moment? Two letters and a parcel posted in Ireland on the same day about 3 weeks ago, the parcel arrived very quickly, but the letters are still missing.

Does letter mail to New England go through New York? Could there be delays there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Sandy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I'm still waiting on 2 letters that were posted about 2 years ago. That was 2 out of only a half dozen ever sent to me, so if my statistics are anything to go by you'll get one of the letters but the other one is lost in some USPS box somewhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

One of the revelations of moving to the USA many years ago is that the US postal service is really unreliable.

There's a reason Americans write their return address on letters.

I'd expect a letter to take up to a week and packages up to two. I'd always ask people sending packages to pay for recorded delivery or registered. Its much safer if there's some trace on it.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

InTheTrees wrote: »
    One of the revelations of moving to the USA many years ago is that the US postal service is really unreliable.

There's a reason Americans write their return address on letters.

I'd expect a letter to take up to a week and packages up to two. I'd always ask people sending packages to pay for recorded delivery or registered. Its much safer if there's some trace on it.

:mad:

I believe you're obliged to write a return address on all post. There's not much they can do if you drop it in the mailbox but if you bring it to the post office they may well reject it. I always understood the same to be true in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Everything has been backed up in New York for the past few weeks because of Sandy.......and now we're heading into the christmas mailing season which will just make things worse.

Did you get a tracking number with you mail? Generally the same number works on anpost.ie and then on USPS.com as soon as they take possession.

Almost everything that's mailed to the east coast goes through new york.

Tips for future reference for mailing to the US......always put a return address in the top left hand corner of any letter or package....and always pay the little bit extra for tracking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement