Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum & Baby groups

Options
  • 20-11-2012 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi Everyone!
    I just wanted to find out what the story is with mum & baby groups.
    I used to live in London and came home to Dublin to have my baby. When i attended the antenatal classes in london there was a big emphasis on staying in touch with each other, and there are loads of mum & baby groups and activities. I am considering staying in Dublin permanently now and would love to be involved with a group of mums who meet and take the little ones on trips or activities like swimming etc. This forum is a great idea and I'm still in contact through fbook with the London group also. everyone had their baby around the same time and it just offers a really good support network.
    My little one is 13 weeks old now, does anyone know of any groups around the Cabinteely/ stillorgan/ deansgrange area? i've tried to find one but no luck so far:(
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Hi,
    You should have a look here: http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/fulcrum.html?ep=29
    I think the Dublin SE might be your nearest group. I went last week to the bf support coffeemorning, they were really nice and informal.
    There is sth every week.
    Also, in your local hse health centre there is probably a weekly bf support meeting, with coffee at the end. In Blackrock. It's every Tues, 11-12.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I agree with the Cuidiu suggestion!
    There are also courses like aqua babies, baby sign, baby massage that would be a good way to meet other mums and babies as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Psychobabble

I'd also suggest Cuidiu. It can be quite isolating with a little one, but I've found Cuidiu (meaning help or support) to be really friendly and enjoyable. It's a bit like the NCT in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I should also say after all of us me too ing Cuidui- they are parenting support, not exclusively breastfeeding support as the perception can sometimes be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Chara1001

Hey everyone,
    Thanks for the suggestions, i'll try them out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Chara1001 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!
    I used to live in London and came home to Dublin to have my baby. When i attended the antenatal classes in london there was a big emphasis on staying in touch with each other, and there are loads of mum & baby groups and activities. I am considering staying in Dublin permanently now and would love to be involved with a group of mums who meet and take the little ones on trips or activities like swimming etc. This forum is a great idea and I'm still in contact through fbook with the London group also. everyone had their baby around the same time and it just offers a really good support network.
    My little one is 13 weeks old now, does anyone know of any groups around the Cabinteely/ stillorgan/ deansgrange area? i've tried to find one but no luck so far:(
    Thanks

Hi Chara1001, did you find a good group in the end? My LO is 10 months now and Im pregnant again. Looking for a group similar to what you describe in around the same area. Stillorgan or dundrum area. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Thanks, I thought cuidiu was only for breastfeeding too, might go to my nearest one...

I'm so sorry sligo1, i just saw you message now:(

Yes there's a very nice group in foxrock community centre run by cuidiu, also i just heard about one in mount merrion that i'm going to try.
    The best thing ever is Buzz Beez in stradbrook, its a toddler cafe where you pay 5E in and can stay as long as you want, there's loads of toys and you can meet people for coffee & food there. Its brilliant, we go all the time:)

I'm so sorry sligo1, i just saw you message now:(

Yes there's a very nice group in foxrock community centre run by cuidiu, also i just heard about one in mount merrion that i'm going to try.
    The best thing ever is Buzz Beez in stradbrook, its a toddler cafe where you pay 5E in and can stay as long as you want, there's loads of toys and you can meet people for coffee & food there. Its brilliant, we go all the time:)

Lol... You're ok. Sure I only posted a couple hours ago :). Ah cool, I might check them out on the net. Buzz beez sounds good. Sounds similar to the Panda Cafes that I've seen reviews for. Thanks for that! :D

Haha! I misread the time you posted, i thought it was 6 months ago:)

I hadn't heard anything about panda cafe so i'll check it out, thanks!
    BuzzBeez is closed on mon & tues i believe, but its open 10-4 wed- fri and sat & sun 10-1 (sometimes 4) and its great, a break for me and the baby can run wild if he wants! You'll really enjoy it,

Might bump into you there sometime:)
    All the best

• Advertisement

Haha! I misread the time you posted, i thought it was 6 months ago:)

I hadn't heard anything about panda cafe so i'll check it out, thanks!
    BuzzBeez is closed on mon & tues i believe, but its open 10-4 wed- fri and sat & sun 10-1 (sometimes 4) and its great, a break for me and the baby can run wild if he wants! You'll really enjoy it,

Might bump into you there sometime:)
    All the best

Thanks a million. You too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hi Everyone!
    Thanks

Hey Chara, I am in that region too. I went to the Foxrock one yesterday (Ciudiu) yesterday, there is one on Tuesday's in Cabinteely, there is a Barnardos one in Loughlinstown and Stillorgan have two mornings a week in the Leisureplex.

Hi wolfpawnat,

Thats brilliant- thanks for the suggestions! I tried the panda cafe today as sligo1 suggested and we had much fun, but I hope you enjoyed the one in Foxrock? I found that it took a while to get to know people, but they are really nice! I didn't know about the ones in cabinteely or stillorgan- i'm definately going to check those, have you been?

Hi wolfpawnat,

Thats brilliant- thanks for the suggestions! I tried the panda cafe today as sligo1 suggested and we had much fun, but I hope you enjoyed the one in Foxrock? I found that it took a while to get to know people, but they are really nice! I didn't know about the ones in cabinteely or stillorgan- i'm definately going to check those, have you been?

O cool... Tell me about panda?? Was it good? Would u recommend it? It looked good on its web page. I'm going to try it during the week. Do you think it would be good for a 10 month old?

Hey Sligo,

I went to the one in Ballsbridge and they had some great toys- there was a ball pool there that I couldn't get my little monster out of! Having said that, I found it a little bit unfriendly, there was a birthday party going on though, so most of the people there knew each other and I had the feeling that I was crashing the party a bit. I got some evils from a couple of people when my son tried to open the doors of a car that their child was playing in, I'm more use to people brushing things like this off. I guess it put me off a bit.
    Also just to let you know- I had a look at their website before I went and I didn't see (or it wasn't visible) that you had to take your shoes off when you enter or buy shoe covers. (only 10 cents)

To be honest, I wouldn't be in a huge rush to go back there- but I'm going to try the one in Terenure also, and I'll let you know!

Also- my son has just turned 1, and he was one of the youngest there today, but there's a section that has a lot of toys for babies around your child's age, maybe normally there are a lot more young children/ babies around, but definitely there are plenty of toys appropriate for your little one.

Thanks chara, agh such a pity they weren't the friendliest. Maybe it was because it was a party... But then that's no excuse really. Friendliness would be a really big thing for me coz I'm kinda shy... And tbh, im going for my son but I'd also kinda be going for me to get out and meet other mums aswell.

As for the car incident... What?? Was it the royal baby in the car or something??! Sounds like those people needed to take a chill pill.

I think I might try it during the week and I'll post to let you know how it is then. But if it is still quite unfriendly then I wouldn't be rushing to give them any business. Might try the others you mentioned in your previous posts over the next couple weeks. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Hi wolfpawnat,

I used go to the one in Cabinteely over a year ago, it was good, small but they had a lot of toys and was reasonably priced. As for Stillorgan, it is €5, you get free tea or coffee. It is a little loud, and since your lo is only one they would only be in the small area, but it is all padded and there is usually quite a few there, many have older kids in the older gym area, so they just read a book or something, in the smaller area they are a bit friendlier. I would only recommend it if your 1yo if able to crawl well or is a good sitter. Even if they are only able to take a step or two standing with help it is good. If all they do is sit and play with a few of the coloured balls it is better than you both stuck indoors.

I liked the group on Friday, my lo was the youngest by a long stretch, she is only 9 weeks today, but it is so important to get out of the house to meet and talk to people. For them and us!

Sorry to hear they were a bit anal in Ballsbridge re the car. Even if it was the royal baby, no need to go like that! Kids are kids for goodness sake, a one year old doesn't know about taking turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sylvia Dona

hey there I am a new Mom and was curious to know about panda have heard about it but was wondering if it had some soft play gym stuff around for the infants to jump over and under and roll around. I have an overactive 8 month old who cannot walk but has enough energy to fake it. looking for a place where he can see other babies being as overactive as him. I live in dunlaogharie and was hoping that Mum and Baby yoga was the thing for me but he just disrupted the class and I had to pull out. Does anyone know of any other activities besides the PARK ( more work for me) that I can take my Bubba to express his energy?

Hi guys,

So I went to Panda Cafe in Ballsbridge today. As Chara said there are loads of toys for the wee ones to play with. Sylvia, I think there are plenty of things that your LO will be occupied with. Loads of soft sponge baby couches that crawlers can crawl all over etc.

There was a party on there again today but the person said it wasn't a private party so we went in and stayed for a while. It was veeery crowded at first so I kept our fella in the baby corner and he was happy enough playing with the toys. Then the crowds left and there was only a few of us so he went on the trucks and cars and things. And I got chatting with another mum which is nice. I find it a lot better when it's not too busy.

I think I would go back during the week to see what it's like as I think there will be a different crowd.... As opposed to the bday party weekend crowd.

If anyone here would be interested we could always organise our own coffee morning/afternoon at panda and have our own chat while the LO's play. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sylvia Dona

Looks like a plan. Panda Cafe. Will give it a go. Would anyone know of any classes for Mam and Baby in the area? As mentioned before No YOGA or anything that my disruptive little guy will cause Chaos. South Dublin. Dunlaoghaire, Sandymount, Blackrock.

• Advertisement

Hey all,

That's brilliant Sligo, worth another visit then:)
    I'd love to join in on a group visit, count me in for definite!

Wolfpawnat, I really want to try the leisureplex, i'd love my lo to have a go in a total soft play area, do you know if its available to use outside of the mum & baby group times?

Sylvia, someone told me about gymbouree at Spawell, we haven't been there yet as its a bit out of the way but they were raving about it, I think it's music classes where boisterous little ones can make loads of noise and bang things like drums. It sounded great and it might be more suitable...

Wolfpawnat, I really want to try the leisureplex, i'd love my lo to have a go in a total soft play area, do you know if its available to use outside of the mum & baby group times?
    It is available 7 days a week 10 to 7/8 :) Very busy at weekends though.

Hey all,

That's brilliant Sligo, worth another visit then:)
    I'd love to join in on a group visit, count me in for definite!

Cool! I've a few things on this week (very unusual for me.. Lol) so only free Tuesday but am free any day next week (except Thursday morn). So I'm pretty flexible! What day would suit you?

Sylvia are you interested or anyone else? Will be nice to have some adult conversation :-)

For me it'll have to be the week after as I'm not free on Tuesdays. Would the following Monday suit?
    The more, the merrier:)

For me it'll have to be the week after as I'm not free on Tuesdays. Would the following Monday suit?
    The more, the merrier:)

Absolutely! We can pm closer to the time and arrange a time that suits :-). Look forward to it. Hopefully others will join us.

Brilliant! Looking forward to it:)

Hey all,

We went to the soft play area at the leisureplex yesterday- not the best day as we had the place to ourselves, but its great!
    My lo loved it, its a fantastic area with tunnels, a big ball pool and a sort of castle with slides, sylvia- it might be just the place for you. Totally recommend it!

Hey all,

We went to the soft play area at the leisureplex yesterday- not the best day as we had the place to ourselves, but its great!
    My lo loved it, its a fantastic area with tunnels, a big ball pool and a sort of castle with slides, sylvia- it might be just the place for you. Totally recommend it!

Tuesdays and Thursdays are busier, but sometimes it is nicer to go a quieter days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I totally forgot about panda cafe...I must give them a go. Theres one in terenure that I'll try. Did lots of searching today...im dying to get the youngest playing with other kids...but I am terrible in group situations so dont like the idea of mum and toddler groups. I found lots of great ideas on roller coaster so im going to travel around and find a nice comfortable friendly group if it kills me!!! :D

• Advertisement

I totally forgot about panda cafe...I must give them a go. Theres one in terenure that I'll try. Did lots of searching today...im dying to get the youngest playing with other kids...but I am terrible in group situations so dont like the idea of mum and toddler groups. I found lots of great ideas on roller coaster so im going to travel around and find a nice comfortable friendly group if it kills me!!! :D

Join us!!! I think we of similar minds here! And as Chara1001 said... The more the merrier! I just wana be able to chill and have a cuppa :-)

Advertisement