Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White Collar Boxing gumshield/mouth gaurd

• 20-11-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi, Just got roped into doing a white collar boxing event in the next couple of months.

Just wondering does anyone know where I can a pick up a decent gum shield? Don't really want to spend the amount that it would cost me in a dentist but if it means that I only get proper protection for the teeth with these gum shields then I'll get it there.

Do I need to pick up any other gear? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

A 5 euro gum shield will protect your teeth, personally I'd get a shock doctor 1 over dentist shields any day, the green and black 1 which I would reccomend is about 20 quid in any decent sports shop

Other gear you should get is a groin guard, and if you plan on sticking at it get your own boots gloves and headgear.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Wraps for your hand. New boxing boots are expensive and you will have no use for them after the event. Talk to someone in a boxing club may have a second hand pair or someone could lend them to you.

crusher000 wrote: »
    Wraps for your hand. New boxing boots are expensive and you will have no use for them after the event. Talk to someone in a boxing club may have a second hand pair or someone could lend them to you.

Defo get the wraps, You can get top pro Boxing boots for about 40 euro, thats not to expensive, especially if you're going to keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SAM2012

you can adidas wraps for 8 euro in elverys sports. if you wanna get your own gloves you can get them cheap enough in heatons between 12 and 24 euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭derkav

SAM2012 wrote: »
    you can adidas wraps for 8 euro in elverys sports. if you wanna get your own gloves you can get them cheap enough in heatons between 12 and 24 euro

Are the heatons gloves any good? Lonsdale ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,716 ✭✭✭✭walshb

derkav wrote: »
    Are the heatons gloves any good? Lonsdale ones?

No, Useless. Tear after a few sessions! Argos do good gloves. I bought spar goves there and they are great. I think they are everlast. I will let you know the brand later when I get home.

walshb wrote: »
    No, Useless. Tear after a few sessions! Argos do good gloves. I bought spar goves there and they are great. I think thet are everlast.

Cheers, Do you use different gloves for bag work / Training to sparring? Not sure as to what to buy.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,716 ✭✭✭✭walshb

derkav wrote: »
    Cheers, Do you use different gloves for bag work / Training to sparring? Not sure as to what to buy.

Thanks

Yes, a spar glove purely for sparring. Bag gloves for bags/pads. Or, some like bag mitts for bags and pads.

Cheers walshb, Seems like were playing post tennis here. Thanks for your help on both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Also when you are getting wraps don't get the sh*tty short ones that are only three feet long or less. They don't provide enough length to properly pad the knuckles, secure the thumb and basically support the hand. The gloves you'll want for sparring will be 16 or 14oz at the lightest.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Also when you are getting wraps don't get the sh*tty short ones that are only three feet long or less. They don't provide enough length to properly pad the knuckles, secure the thumb and basically support the hand. The gloves you'll want for sparring will be 16 or 14oz at the lightest.

most people i know prefer the 3 feet ones!
    the longer ones can be a nuiscance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

cowzerp wrote: »
    most people i know prefer the 3 feet ones!
    the longer ones can be a nuiscance

I hate them to be honest Paul, they don't provide nearly enough length in my opinion and neither do they provide the same level of support. To each their own though.

Cheers FTA, I have wraps too already. There good and long. I learned the hard way that wraps are essential. Knuckles still healing as they split most times i'm training anyway lol. Not long left till there good and strong again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

I hate them to be honest Paul, they don't provide nearly enough length in my opinion and neither do they provide the same level of support. To each their own though.

Wraps really can't be long enough for me....mine are soooooo long and still wouldn't mind another few inches

no homo

Rotfl, thats what she said.:D

Advertisement