Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic --> TV compare/Contrast thread/speculation ** for comic readers only **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

smash wrote: »
    Did you hear the excuses used on TTD? Pitiful!

No, what did they say? I never watch TTD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Pete Moss wrote: »
    No, what did they say? I never watch TTD.
    The show ended how it was supposed to. The episode was about Rick's downfall, not the beating. It's the end of one of Rick's journeys and next season he'll embark on a new one.

Total fcuking cop out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

The show ended how it was supposed to. The episode was about Rick's downfall, not the beating. It's the end of one of Rick's journeys and next season he'll embark on a new one.

Total fcuking cop out!
    Talking dead stuff first.
    I got the impression from the change of mood at the first break the calls were not complimentary. Both kirkman and the producer started having to defend their choices and struggled to do so. I get they wanted a cliff hanger but having a major character did would have been four hanger enough. Leaving the identity of the victim hanging wasn't necessary or smart. Anyone get the impression its Daryl? Ghost reference and Norman elbowing neegan before he commented on his first plot related question?

My wife never read the comic so had no idea of the iconic nature of this scene, she thought it was fine, a little peeved it didn't finish but said she expects that in tv shows.
    Just shows how the show is different for non readers.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Anyone get the impression its Daryl? Ghost reference and Norman elbowing neegan before he commented on his first plot related question?

I did notice that bit and thought it was a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

My wife never read the comic so had no idea of the iconic nature of this scene, she thought it was fine, a little peeved it didn't finish but said she expects that in tv shows.

Same, and another friend of mine of FB thought it was a great ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

MAJOR SPOILERS IN THE LINK. This link has audio from the end of the episode giving a clue as to who died, so if you want to wait do, but if not then look at it. Not saying it's true, but it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Absolutely loved the episode to a point, thought Jeffrey Dean Morgan nailed it as Negan even if he is maybe a little slight for the role IMO. Loved the monologue and the lineup was great

BUT

That cliffhanger is a total fûcking cop out. Terrible decision which completely takes away from one of the most iconic moments of the whole bloody story to date.

Mixed messages now from the cast (Carl says he still doesn't know who was killed, Negan says he didn't know it was going to be a cliffhanger until he saw the episode which implies they do know) - and I really don't trust they'll be able to contain spoilers over the summer. So, so bloody stupid.

AND I was really looking forward to this scene :mad:

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    MAJOR SPOILERS IN THE LINK. This link has audio from the end of the episode giving a clue as to who died, so if you want to wait do, but if not then look at it. Not saying it's true, but it could be.
    I listened to that yesterday. It's not really a major spoiler and the article does say "Whether or not these subtitles are accurate are your decision"

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I haven't watched it yet but I'm already angry. They already had a cliffhanger with Glenn this season & it was, for lack of a better word, s**t. Why do it? I've really been looking forward to this scene, it's the best scene of the comics to date. It completely loses it's impact by not seeing both the act itself & the aftermath. I was skeptical that they'd show the graphic beating (I know they've shown people bitten, torn apart & walkers being annihilated already, but for some reason being beaten to death with a baseball bat wrapped in barb wire stands out on another level for me) but I didn't expect another cliffhanger. Poor show Kirkman, poor show. The explanation of Rick's arc is bull as well, his arc isn't even close to ending until after All Out War, he's openly defiant of Negan & he doesn't change until after he's taken him down. Hopefully the climax of the Rick vs Negan is better than the comic, I always found it a bit laughable how easily Rick beats Negan in the end. I know he gets the s**t kicked out of him but he somehow gets close enough to stab him in the neck with all the Saviours around? No, just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

T

90% or more of viewers aren't comic book readers and the vast vast majority of reaction to the cliffhanger was extremely negative. Of course a few people would like it but seems to be only a very small minority.

I guess it means your wife is very unique and positive person!!

• Advertisement

over 33% of voters gave it a 1/10 on IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4589574/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

over 33% of voters gave it a 1/10 on IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4589574/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

It was a 7 up to that last 30 seconds for me. Diminished down to a 1 or 2 after that unforgiveable decision to leave it as a cliffhanger.
    I watched it in full without the ads last night (god, US cable tv is painful) and it was a decent enough episode, but very repetitive. Five roadblock scenes tells its own story.
    Just Two slow story arcs going on, when both were pretty repetitive and you expected the outcome wasnt the greatest idea. Ezekiel should have been introduced in a big moment scenario, now we will just have a standard, ", Ezekiel this is Carol and Morgan and Carol and Morgan this is our leader, Ezekiel............oh and there the little rascal Shiva, his pet lion..."

I know his entry was a similar style meet and greet style in the comic but a big entrance would at least have made a rather boring and predictable (and frankly silly that she could survive and barely bleed) sequence interesting and got people talking about something other than what we are all talking about!. It would have been like Michonnes entrance in a way.

Last 15 minutes were well received by me up to THAT ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

maximoose wrote: »
    Absolutely loved the episode to a point, thought Jeffrey Dean Morgan nailed it as Negan even if he is maybe a little slight for the role IMO. Loved the monologue and the lineup was great

BUT

That cliffhanger is a total fûcking cop out. Terrible decision which completely takes away from one of the most iconic moments of the whole bloody story to date.

Mixed messages now from the cast (Carl says he still doesn't know who was killed, Negan says he didn't know it was going to be a cliffhanger until he saw the episode which implies they do know) - and I really don't trust they'll be able to contain spoilers over the summer. So, so bloody stupid.

AND I was really looking forward to this scene :mad:

I really love Negan's panel in that. It's just perfect!

I don't remember Rick being as scared sh1tless as he looked in the TV show at that point, was it the same in the comic? I'm re-reading it at the moment as I wanted to get to issue 100 around the time of the season finale. Missed my deadline but can't wait to read it all again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I really love Negan's panel in that. It's just perfect!

I don't remember Rick being as scared sh1tless as he looked in the TV show at that point, was it the same in the comic? I'm re-reading it at the moment as I wanted to get to issue 100 around the time of the season finale. Missed my deadline but can't wait to read it all again!

Its still gut wrenching to read after multiple rereads.

AMC missed to boat on this big time.

Should have ended with that complete panel "TaTa" end scene.

Right I've caught up on the last episode there & I have to say I enjoyed Negans scene a lot. I think knowing how they handled the finale braced me for it, had I not known I'd have been very pissed about it. They kept most of Negans dialogue true to the comic bar the swearing, it's mad that you can hang a fella from a bridge but dare to say F**k on screen & you'd be torn apart for compromising people's values. JDM is very well cast but I agree with someone else's comment about how slight he looks, the jacket looks a bit odd on him. Really hope they don't mess up the character next season, Negans one of the stand outs from the comics. Wasn't particularly keen on their interpretation of the Governor, especially all the ****e with Andrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

As far as I recall Rick was pretty defiant, told Negan he'd kill him. But that might have been after Lucille quenched her thirst!

0WGfaYj.png

Shiva confirmed it seems, boo.

'Knights' wearing hockey armour... 'Kings' with pet tigers... This shit isn't going to translate well on screen. I can understand the fantasy of a post apocalyptic comic, but the series so far has been pretty low key in terms of fantasy... except the zombies, but you know what I mean.

Yeah, it would want to be quite toned down for the show or it'll just be cheesy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

They're going to have to tone down the Rick-Negan interaction as well for the TV show. In the comics Rick openly tells Negan he is going to kill him, tries to assassinate him at least once, and physically attacks him...all before the all out war scenario. And every time Negan gives Rick a pass - it really undermined the threat of Negan if he so patient and forgiving. By the end I was wondering what it would take for Negan to decide the Alexandria group would be more docile under alternative management.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »
    They're going to have to tone down the Rick-Negan interaction as well for the TV show. In the comics Rick openly tells Negan he is going to kill him, tries to assassinate him at least once, and physically attacks him...all before the all out war scenario. And every time Negan gives Rick a pass - it really undermined the threat of Negan if he so patient and forgiving. By the end I was wondering what it would take for Negan to decide the Alexandria group would be more docile under alternative management.

not really, these are the psychological traits that makes Neagan who he is. Id like their relationship to be depicted as close to the comic as possible.
    I'm absolutely shocked at least an image of Ezekiel wasnt introduced in the finale. It would have added a little side chat to the main plot.
    As I said before his initial introduction was terrible for such a bizarre character. Here is our leader Ezekiel and his pet bodyguard tiger...........

Also,I thought the Carol/Morgan sidestory was largely very flat in the finale. Great acting by both but all so predictable that she would survive, as ridiculous that it is that a middle aged woman could still be going strong after 3 almost point blank shot wounds. It was very forgettable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Are comic spoilers ok in here, up to Issue 153?

I doubt the majority have read that far tbh.

I doubt the majority have read that far tbh.

Speak for yourself ;)

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself ;)

Eh read my comment. I've read that far myself but I can guarantee you many haven't.

Eh read my comment. I've read that far myself but I can guarantee you many haven't.

I know, I was just mentioning that I have, hence the winky face, nothing hostile meant about it. Had a feeling you would have yourself given your input in the past.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Why not just use spoiler tags so we can choose to skip it?

While I'm excited about Ezekiel making an appearance, I don't think they'll do a good job with Shiva if they include her(?).

Hundreds of digital artists worked on the Bengal Tiger in Life of Pi (as well as the other animals in the film). I don't think TWD will have a fraction of that budget for Shiva appearing in multiple episodes.

lifeofpi_2747324b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Why not just use spoiler tags so we can choose to skip it?

While I'm excited about Ezekiel making an appearance, I don't think they'll do a good job with Shiva if they include her(?).

Hundreds of digital artists worked on the Bengal Tiger in Life of Pi (as well as the other animals in the film). I don't think TWD will have a fraction of that budget for Shiva appearing in multiple episodes.

lifeofpi_2747324b.jpg

Calling it, they're going to undercut the comics and Shiva's going to be a domestic cat or something.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Calling it, they're going to undercut the comics and Shiva's going to be a domestic cat or something.

Or they'll change Shiva to a lion & just do this 2aea4f9222cf761271f534aaab569d6d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

That might not be too far off the mark. They could change it so that Shiva is a massive menacing dog, and Ezekiel's back story is a dog kennel owner instead of a zookeeper.

Advertisement