Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic --> TV compare/Contrast thread/speculation ** for comic readers only **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Maybe if Glenn manages to survive then the Lucile moment will be all the more shocking. But I think he's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I cannot be the only one annoyed at that. The Lucile moment is such a pivotal one in the whole Alexandria arc and it was by far the most impactful because Glenn took it. To kill him off like that is a mockery. Like, once he was in the alley it couldn't have ended without him dying but to write out one of the greatest and emotionally moments in the comics and to have it end like that is silly. I am beyond p1ssed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Its going to be Daryll or Morgan now I feel it

Its going to be Daryll or Morgan now I feel it
    Oh glob that would be awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Not a comic reader but I spoiled Glenns death for myself a while back.

I think theres as many arguments to be made for his survival as his death. In isolation I wouldn't know what to think. However I think the comic book knowledge of his meeting with a baseball bat and knowing that according to you guys its such a powerful moment in the Alexandria Arc, it actually tips me in the direction of believing he'll survive the dumpster horde and his eventual death with the baseball bat will be even more powerful and sad given his miraculous escape here. Can't add that datapoint to the 'is he/isn't he' discussion in the other thread for obvious reasons though. If I'm wrong it wouldn't be a spoiler for people to know he died in the comics too albeit by a different method. However if correct, one has just spoiled his 'real' death scene for the non readers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

He's not dead, we will probably have a Carol moment where he's out in the wild on his own again.

I'm putting money on him crawling under the Dumpster and the heard getting distracted. He will probably then meet Jesus and find Hill Top. With Luceal happening at the end of next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, I can't actually see the TV guys writing the Lucile moment out of the show, it makes no sense.

If they are going to to a fake death in that scene, I think it should maybe have been Daryl and not Glenn.

Leaving Lucile v Glenn out of the show would he totally fúcked up imo, it's probably the most memorable scene in the comics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well…
    he's not dead. Or if he is, what is he doing in on set photos in later scenes? And in new(er) clothes too, so doesn't look like a flashback scene.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well…
    he's not dead. Or if he is, what is he doing in on set photos in later scenes? And in new(er) clothes too, so doesn't look like a flashback scene.
    bait & switch double bluff
    He wasn't on The Talking Dead either, all other main characters who've died have been, and he also wasn't in the "In Memorium" section either, but Nicholas was.
    I don't think he's dead, he'll survive to have a totes emosh reunion with Magaggie then die as he's supposed to next season.

Spoiler

why are we using spoilers in this thread, bit weird no?

Wait, wait.

He deffo survives this.

Look here

can clearly fit under the dumpster.

it has a cement wall around it (3 sides).

read the spoiler first then click here if you want

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Spoiler

why are we using spoilers in this thread, bit weird no?
    I'm just playing it safe BC. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I don't think he's dead.

Shock death, huge relief when we discover he escaped, only for an even more shocking unquestionable death to happen :)

What an episode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

It's ridiculous if he isn't dead. That size of a hoard even if they were pulling the guts of the other guy Glenn would bound to be scraped/bitten himself, we regularly see walking eating on people's head's so with this many it's impossible to think they wouldn't be doing the same here.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Not a comic reader either, but I also spoiled Glenn's comic death for myself ages ago.

Do ye think that the lucille thing could be done to another character (Daryl?), or do ye think it's vital that it's done to Glenn?

Also, do ye think that Fox would actually show something that brutal? :o I know they've shown some pretty violent stuff so far, but what happens to Glenn in the comics seems a lot worse.

I think it's vital that it's done to Glenn, as it informs a few of Maggie's later choices.

It's not on Fox in the US, it's on AMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I think it's vital that it's done to Glenn, as it informs a few of Maggie's later choices.

It's not on Fox in the US, it's on AMC.

Interesting, thanks!

Crap yeah, got mixed up cause I watch it on Fox.

If we believe that the Wolves are the Saviours then having Glenn die this way seems a little odd if Negan is soon to be introduced. Glenn's death in the comics comes with their first run in with him.

I think Maggie in the comics will be Carol in the TV show so it may not be such a big thing - but Kirkman et al must know that Glenn's death is a big thing with comic fans so it's odd that he is leaving it out - even if it's another character.

I don't think the Wolves are the Saviours.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No, I'll be really disappointed if the Wolves are substituted instead of them.

Everytime Glenn's death comes up i think of his Steven Yeuns letter to Kirkman about it.

k2meFLd.jpg

But no, i dont think they will rob us of the head bashing like they robbed us of Ricks hand.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »

Not a chance, Negan is still alive in the comic and will probably be playing a pivitol role in its future, Kirkman said he regretted killing the Governor.

Looking at the Glenn 'death' scene again, when they show the top down view you can see that Glenn seems to be at a 45 degree angle pretty much to the bin, with his head by the bin which makes it very unlikely he survives at all. However, I'll be surprised if he doesn't somehow survive, presumably by the predictable route of being under the bin and then being rescued, possibly by Jesus who might appear with some friends, which would be a departure from the comics intro, but the timing is not far off.

But no, i dont think they will rob us of the head bashing like they robbed us of Ricks hand.
    Kirkman stated repeatedly after that issue that he was not happy with taking Rick's hand, hence it didn't happen in the TV show.

yeah, and I doubt it's going to happen now.

although, how close is Kirkman to the TV show these days?

5starpool wrote: »

I didn't mean substituted just renamed.

I don't think they are related at all.

Wolves for me are just an upscaled scavengers.

I don't think it makes sense to introduce the Wolves, give them some mystery, carved heads, walker traps, attacks on multiple communities and then introduce the Saviors who are more or less the same?

The show would just start to seems repetitive. Even in the comics the transition from the Governor to Negan seemed a little repetitive at first.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I didn't mean substituted just renamed.

The Wolves are nothing like the Saviors though. The Wolves seem to just want to destroy everything. The Saviors demand 50% of all resources from communities for 'protection', which is how they first appear pretty much in the comics. I'm doing a re-read from the start of the Alexandria arc now (I'm at 87 or something now, Glenn meets Lucille at 100) just to see how it plays out.

I think the Wolves are an expanded form of the scavenger group that briefly appears in the comics who cause the herd to be attracted to Alexandria. I agree that it doesn't make sense to build all the mystery last season if they aren't going to have a proper war with them, but I can't see them being the TV show equivalent to the Saviors at all. The Negan arc in the comics runs for ages, much longer than the governor one I think, and the way the Wolves have been so far doesn't suggest that there is a story to be wrung out of them for long.

Barely any of them have even had a speaking part yet, and loads of them are dead. In fact, pretty much all the raiders on Alexandria are dead. I'd be a bit disappointed but not surprised if that was the end of them on the show pretty much given all the build up. They could turn out to have been an advance party, so to speak, for Negan, but it doesn't fit with any of their MO from the comics at all.

On a related note, I was actually surprised how much the Alexandria arc in the comics resembled what we saw in the TV show as I had forgotten so much of the detail. Based on what we've seen so far, and given the fact that it is a 90 minute episode next week, what I expect is:
    That we will see the death of Jessie and Ron, and that Carl will be shot by a panicking Deanna. Whether he loses his eye in the show or not is a different matter, but I expect he will. Rick will obviously have to get back to Alexandria first though. There are some obvious differences though, such as the Glenn thing, Morgan (who dies in the herd attack too) not being with Michonne, no Andrea, Abraham being away too,

I do expect Carl's shooting to happen though, at the accidental hands of a dying Deanna.

I would love to see what you suggest there, but isn't it confirmed next week is Morgan's flashback episode?

• Advertisement

As far as I remember the Saviors in the comics have that 50% agreement with the Hill-top, Jesus is introduced first before we see Negan. I think Negan then offers that deal to Alexandria after meeting with them and killing Glenn - Rick then tries to ambush Negan when he comes to pick up the first load of food (Andrea is the sniper).

The Wolves could be a hunting party for Negan or they might be a splinter group. The only alternative is for them to be a plot device used to finally get everyone thinking that it's "them or us" and kill or be killed is the new lifestyle. Basically preparing them for the arrival of Negan.

Advertisement