Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic --> TV compare/Contrast thread/speculation ** for comic readers only **

Comments

So The Walking Dead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Precisely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

And now back to our regular programming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thanks for confirming my sting!! How in God's name could I find out what age you are from your profile!! P.a.r.o.n.I. a!!

Just had a look at your profile! Makes zero reference to your age!! You are easy to coax info off though! Pity I still can't figure out why you are having a go at me however. Bye.

You do realise that ones profile has a field for 'Last Visited by' don't you. You didn't visit it 'just now' you visited around the same time as the Middle aged man post. No age in profile as you say, you had to have gone into 'all posts by' and would have seen a post within the last month where I mention my age. Paranoid me arse :D But look....

As a paranoid 41 year old 'middle aged' man who just hasn't the time, energy, will nor patience to argue anymore I give in. You win. Jaysus :rolleyes: Me? I'm off to post a prediction in the other thread based on various plot points from the comics that given Ron looks like hes going to shoot Carl, the showrunners might insert the loss of carls eye from another plot here in alexandria instead. I had thought that kind or prediction discussion was fine in this thread. Its raison D'etre infact. However I didn't realise it was A-OK in the TV show thread too. Thanks for educating me. :D

thanks be to .......!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Now kiss

Old Perry wrote: »
    Now kiss

LWfj7v8.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Hyzepher wrote: »
    After the latest episode I'm convinced Carl is getting shot next week. Probably as a result of some scuffle with a gun.

We'll probably see the Saviors alerted to Alexandria by what ever means Risk's group use to rid the town of the walkers.

I'd say the Saviors are already alerted. Presuming they were the ones who attacked Daryl, Sasha and Abraham then they would likely also be the ones to whom Dwayne and Sheryl returned to. Daryl had confirmed to them there was a community, it shouldn't take the Saviors long to locate it.

I think story-wise, they might introduce Hilltop and Jesus, but there is no real reason to do so. The comic chops from locations to location and leadership to leadership. It is not a given the TV series will want to lose focus by having a similar leap from settlement to settlement. Jesus and Hilltop might be introduced simply as refugees to Alexandria. It really depends on how they want to play the Negan character. I think in the comics they really overplayed how "reasonable" he was. But, if they need more settlements to portray him as this grand warlord I suppose they will introduce him in that fashion. But that then leads to the "Meanwhile, in Hilltop...." cutaways I mentioned.

As for spoilers is quite overdone. I find it incredibly tiresome. I bumped into the most recent episode thread. I think the third or forth post down was someone who had clearly seen the episode before I did. I could see that from the first sentence where they said what a great episode it was. I quickly exited without reading the rest. Drama solved.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sand wrote: »
    As for spoilers is quite overdone. I find it incredibly tiresome. I bumped into the most recent episode thread. I think the third or forth post down was someone who had clearly seen the episode before I did. I could see that from the first sentence where they said what a great episode it was. I quickly exited without reading the rest. Drama solved.

I think the only spoilers that people complain about (rightly so) is people posting in the tv episode threads saying what happened in the comics.

5starpool wrote: »
    I think the only spoilers that people complain about (rightly so) is people posting in the tv episode threads saying what happened in the comics.

Of course.
    And just to reclarify, as i know you may be aware as i see you posting on the tv show threads regularly i never ever done this because this may be the impression that poster was trying to get across. There are also spoilers that people post directly related to the shows tv production which i find completely worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I didn't realize there are 16 episodes this season. With a 2 month break after next week's episode.

Think people have hit it on the head with Carl getting blasted next week and Enid replacing Sofia.

I think the second half of the season will deal with the Horde aftermath and introduce Hill Top and Jesus. With the last episode we will meet Negan at Hill Top like in the comic.

The inference would be that anyone who read the comics could not draw any enjoyment from the series. The buzz for the series was initially built on the comic readers who would of course be "spoilt" for all the major series story lines and characters but they get by. A big part of watching the TV series is actually flagging characters and how they will tie in to the overall story mostly everyone knows. I don't think people ought to be guilt tripped over saying something in passing that most people with an interest in the show already know.
    The Titanic sank, Shane dies
    . If a story is well told, it will survive - people still pay to go watch MacBeth despite knowing how it ends.

Looking at the charter, there is rules about spoiling episodes of a series. But TWD is a series with an earlier, different story and medium. Were MacBeth to be a TV series, would it be spoiling to reference in passing that
    MacBeth is defeated
    ?

As it stands the series has characters like Daryl (and Merle) and Sasha
    who never appeared in the comics
    , and characters like Carol who
    were killed of early in the comics but who
    grew to be significant characters in the series. Meanwhile
    the inverse is true for characters like Andrea
    - serves a huge and ongoing role in the comics.
    Killed off in season 3 of the series
    . Martinez
    served an entirely different purpose and met an entirely different end in the TV series
    . The Governor
    was a pantomime villain in the comics - he has a backstory and was humanised in the TV series
    . Locations like
    Wiltshire
    were visited in the comics but completely passed over in the series. Even loosely shared characters like
    Morgan
    are very different and serve quite different purposes in the series. There is plot lines like
    the Wolf prisoner
    and
    the Hospital
    which were never in the comics, and groups like
    Terminus
    which had aspects of comic storylines but greatly expanded upon them to the point that there was only a few scenes which echoed the comics.

There are significant differences between the comics and the TV series as it stands. Because X happened in the comics does not immediately imply Y will happen. Nobody knows that the how the comics play out will be exactly how the series will play out. There is already too many different characters and variables for that to be true. I think each should be enjoyed on their own merits. I don't think one or the other is spoilt by someone happening to reference a connection between the storylines.

Assuming the story is well told at least.

Of course there are different storylines, and in the terminus one for example, if people had posted a theory in the tv thread and said they read the comics but as this didn't appear in them that's fine.

However, someone posting something like "I hope Glenn didn't die in that horde as I'd prefer to see him get his head bashed in by Negan with the baseball bat like in the comics" is a very different matter, and one that should not be excused. There doesn't seem to be enough control over spoilers and some people blatantly (probably innocently in a lot of instances) posting spoilery stuff. There should be a proper approach to it, and it might be better served in a separate thread really rather than derailing this one entirely. That approach might be zero tolerance, and that's ok, but it needs to be enforced in a more clear and consistent manner than it currently is imo.

This reminds me of "The Game of Thrones" forum, where people were posting "theory's", claiming to have never read the books, but amazingly their theory would be spot on.

It annoyed the **** out of people and needs to be stamped out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Of course.
    And just to reclarify, as i know you may be aware as i see you posting on the tv show threads regularly i never ever done this because this may be the impression that poster was trying to get across. There are also spoilers that people post directly related to the shows tv production which i find completely worse.

But just now you told everyone on the TV thread that Rick is still alive in the comics!

Hyzepher wrote: »
    But just now you told everyone on the TV thread that Rick is still alive in the comics!

Except I didn't. I said Kirkman is still making the comics. And then I made a point that I hope the TV series doesn't just conclude with the death of Rick. I never said that I read the comics ON THAT THREAD, afaik. anytime I post on that thread it is about the TV series and nothing else. I have never spoiled any story for anyone.

The tv series has incorporated plenty of plots and characters not included in the comics so that comic readers can still enjoy and speculate on the TV show. If it was just a run of the mill scene for scene as per the comics that would be a different story. Once posters don't make a point of saying they believe this will happen because it happened in the comic I think it's fair. Once people rationalise their theories on the TV show on the basis of the merits of the TV show, comic reader or not it's fair.

Stop trying to be an ******** and nitpicking posts to guilt trip people. It's boring. If you have an issue with my posts report them by all means to the mods. Let them deal with them and scrutinise their suitability for threads. I had to deal with a page and a half of this yesterday and I refuse to be drawn into it anymore. Its not fair on other posters. By all means report my posts and let the mods tell you where to go.

Anyone with common sense would tell you they are perfectly reasonably suited to their individual threads.

Of course there are different storylines, and in the terminus one for example, if people had posted a theory in the tv thread and said they read the comics but as this didn't appear in them that's fine.

However, someone posting something like "I hope Glenn didn't die in that horde as I'd prefer to see him get his head bashed in by Negan with the baseball bat like in the comics" is a very different matter, and one that should not be excused. There doesn't seem to be enough control over spoilers and some people blatantly (probably innocently in a lot of instances) posting spoilery stuff. There should be a proper approach to it, and it might be better served in a separate thread really rather than derailing this one entirely. That approach might be zero tolerance, and that's ok, but it needs to be enforced in a more clear and consistent manner than it currently is imo.

I'd say ask the mods to add it to the charter. The way the charter is written, spoiling episodes you have seen that others haven't seen yet is one thing. The spoiling your talking about by referencing a similar but different story in a different medium is different. It goes without saying (I hope) that I don't agree with some deliberately trying to undermine someone else's enjoyment of the TV series, but I don't think its a high crime to happen to reference a point in passing through carlessness either. If people hang around on forums where people are discussing the subject, its likely they will get information they would not otherwise have. Thats a risk everyone takes.

There is actually a fairly decent chance no one will have their head knocked in by Lucille. There is a much larger chance it wont be Glenn - who it is will likely depend on what actors want to move on to other projects and are happy to step up for a dramatic exit. Though I really doubt the TV show will dwell on the gore to the extent that the comic did. For example, the Terminus TV storyline ended with a much less brutal climax to the antagonists than in the comics where Rick and Co tortured them to death one by one over what was implied to be hours.

In the comics, the Governor cut off Ricks hand. Never happened in the series. In a similar light, the Governor imprisoned, beat, tortured and raped Michonne. Never happened in the series. Those were also big, shocking moments but they were too much or too inconvenient for TV. Anyone "spoiling" by predicting these events would happen in Season 3 wouldn't have been "spoiling" the TV series. They'd just be wrong.

To hopefully end the discussion for now I have PM'd a mod about the stuff that has been discussed to ask for clarity, and it is being looked at, with hopefully the appointment of a mod for the forum itself who posts here, rather than just the cmods and TV mods that are currently in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Just a suggestion, but would two separate threads per episode be a good idea? One for comic readers and one for non comic readers, similar to the GoT forum.

I dont think its really needed, people just need to grow up and stop spoiling it for everyone else. This is the thread where people can discuss the comparisons between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I could have written a better ending to a mid-series finale than that. Everything but the after-credits scene disappointed. What was the point in leaving it where it was until the next part? Straight off the bat we are going to have
    Carl being shot, Judith probably being squashed as she is under Carl, Rick having to let go of Jessie cause she won't let go of Sam

Ugh, there was just so much potential there to really leave it on a cliff-hanger that it is just so frustrating that they didn't. I would have loved it because, as comic book readers it would have been interesting
    To see if Judith survived and if they would go through with the her being squashed now she isn't as small
    . Obviously, the next few episodes when they return are going to be wall-to-wall action and the tension in the episode was good, but I'm getting annoyed with how they are dragging everything out just for the sake of 5-10 minutes extra air-time.

Anyone else up to the Ezekiel issues of the comics? Wonder what they are going to do to incorporate
    Shiva (his tiger)
    Personally I cringed a little about that aspect, especially due to the fact Kirkman wrote the plot in after the tv series commenced. Ezekiel looks like a great character but this particular point is a tad too far, especially considering its such an nb part of his comic character. I'd hate for them to use CGI also.

I'll be irritated if they introduce a damn tiger to the tv show. It was ridiculous in the comics, it'd be worse in the tv show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I'll be irritated if they introduce a damn tiger to the tv show. It was ridiculous in the comics, it'd be worse in the tv show.

Plus if they were to go with the tiger it would be mostly CGI and to date the tv show has been patchy as hell with it. Even the green balloons in the sky in the last 2 episodes have looked poor enough! The real makeup is where TWD excels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Enjoyed the mid season finale.. I'm guessing all those "Mom"s are gonna draw some attention, and it's no coincidence Rick has an axe in his hand :)

Loved the after credits scene, if only for finally settling the pronunciation of Negan for me :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Looks like there will be some type of perfect storm half way across the compound when the Wolf & hostage run into Rick & Co just as the little kid has a freak attack and Ron launches another revenge attack, with Morgan, Carol et al bringing up the rear. All resulting in a overly complicated catalyst that incites the herd and Carl loses an eye.

Fin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Has it been confirmed that Carl loses his eye in the TV show? Unless it has I can't see it happening, purely for the practicality of him being a core character. It's an easy part of the story to leave out, and seeing they left out that Rick lost his arm it's fair to say Carl won't lose an eye.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Has it been confirmed that Carl loses his eye in the TV show? Unless it has I can't see it happening, purely for the practicality of him being a core character. It's an easy part of the story to leave out, and seeing they left out that Rick lost his arm it's fair to say Carl won't lose an eye.

sure all they have to do is put a patch on his eye? and initially if/when it happens they just need to use make up skills. Its such a significant event for the character and changes his personality afterwards that it would be a pity not to do it.

here is an example of makeup effects

special_fx_makeup__carl_grimes_eye_wound_by_xxpencilxstrokesxx-d7e72ex.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

sure all they have to do is put a patch on his eye? and initially if/when it happens they just need to use make up skills. Its such a significant event for the character and changes his personality afterwards that it would be a pity not to do it.

here is an example of makeup effects

special_fx_makeup__carl_grimes_eye_wound_by_xxpencilxstrokesxx-d7e72ex.jpg
    I'm not saying they can't do it with makeup, but its a lot of extra overhead for a main character. The patch is a simple fix but that would still require makeup work as it wouldn't be able to cover the damage to the side of his face, unless he loses the eye somehow other than a gun shot.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think (and hope) it'll happen.

Make-up/CGI for the initial blast, then he's gonna be in a bandage for the forseeable future. Took quite a while before he moved on to the patch, and no reason the make up team couldn't handle scarring around the patch

I really hope it happens anyway as it's a big deal for the character

Also completely agree about Ezekiel and his tiger. Cringeworthy in the comics, would be awful to have in the show.

Advertisement