Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who's more boring, GSP or Fitch

• 20-11-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Why does GSP not get as much stick as Fitch for being such a boring fighter.
    There is no doubting he has a very effective style but it's so repetitive and boring.
    Set up the takedown with jabs, takedown, lay and pray, grind out a decision.
    It's been 4 years since he won by any other way.
    Fitch is so boring the UFC did everything they could not to give him a second title shot but imo GSP is just a slightly better version but equally as boring.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

smileyvault-popcorn.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

This argument is boring, GSP is one of the greatest fighters ever. To do what he has done against the best fighters in the world takes so much skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

You're boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

Niall0 wrote: »
    This argument is boring, GSP is one of the greatest fighters ever. To do what he has done against the best fighters in the world takes so much skill.

I appreciate that his wrestling is top drawer and his takedown are awesome to watch.
    The problem is that he generally has only one takedown per round.
    Do you honestly not get bored watching the 4 minutes of him throwing punches from his opponents guard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

you started this thread after both of them had probably their most exciting fights! im confused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I dunno how you can say he's boring after the fight on Sat I really don't. It was my fav fight of the year - there was everything in it... near knockouts.... domination.... then comebacks.... sweeps.... reversals...... high level clinch and wresting ...... filthy g'n'p... lots of blood and damage and incredible stamina and cardio right through 5 rounds and at least 3 near submissions from Condit's back... as well as very active ground fighting... also perfectly timed jabs, counters.... greats combo's .... the crowd was singing right through and going bleeding mental for the whole fight. GSP showed he can strike with the best, escape subs, survive being seriously rocked and showed some astonishing reflexes and explosive movement... especially countering that scissors knee attempt and spinning up to his feet after delivering that up kick which saved the fight for him while he recovered from the head kick knock down. He beat Condit by a good margin in the end and we still think Condit is excellent - and Joe and Goldy were singin praises about the fight from the rooftop... how anyone can say it was boring or that GSP was boring the other night is just beyond me. He would certainly LIKE to jab and set up takedowns if he could but Condit made it a lot more difficult than that simple equation. Condit didn't have a split open forehead spilling all over the octagon from some 'jab'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

nino1 wrote: »
    The problem is that he generally has only one takedown per round.

That's the idea.

Would you suggest letting someone up so you can take them down more than once per round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

The problem with GSP is he is so well rounded at this point that it's going to take someone and something special to beat him. But then again, that's not really a problem at all from his and his team's perspective. It doesn't hurt the buyrates, so the UFC isn't worried. What we are witnessing is one of the best fighters ever do his thing and get slated for it.

His wrestling has such a reputation now that people fear it. He backs them up with his striking, engages with the clinch or catches a kick or just changes levels and perfectly executes a single or double leg takedown. He rarely gets swept and deals out some incredible damage from the top.

Sure I would have liked to see him pass a bit more, as he seemed well able to do so. But then he didn't seem worried about Condit's bottom game, so good is his posture and awareness from the guard. Never resting but constantly punching to open up passing opportunities as well re-positioning his hips every time Condit tried to make an angle.
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought it was an incredible fight where both men came out looking good.

As for Fitch, I don't think I've screamed more at a UFC fight then that one this year. Glad to see Fitch springing back after the Hendricks fight.

For both guys, I think it's a case of 'tough sh*t' for anyone who's complaining about the way those guys fight. Either find a way to beat them or quit whining.

GSPs wrestling on Saturday night was actually amazing to watch. I think the best I've seen in the octagon. He sets up, reflexively times you, commits and drives through positions with power and technique and then importantly retains a high level of control no matter how creative people get while almost constantly beating you down and forcing you to work and expend energy.

GSPs wrestling/clinch/takedowns/balance (all wrestling really) are as impressively dominant as Silva's stand up, in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Why does GSP not get as much stick as Fitch for being such a boring fighter.
    There is no doubting he has a very effective style but it's so repetitive and boring.
    Set up the takedown with jabs, takedown, lay and pray, grind out a decision.
    It's been 4 years since he won by any other way.
    Fitch is so boring the UFC did everything they could not to give him a second title shot but imo GSP is just a slightly better version but equally as boring.

The problem isn't GSP or Fitch, the problem is you.

If you found GSP v Condit or Fitch v Silva boring then you're watching the wrong thing. Twilight is out, try that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Twilight is out, try that ;)

tumblr_lw4125oaQZ1r8n7qlo3_500.gif

danlen wrote: »

That's the idea.

The idea should be to finish fights, not grind out a 5 round decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

GSP is the Sebastien Loeb of MMA.

He's so dominant and so consistent, that he's just not interesting any more.

The division will be better when he leaves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Suppose you think chael is boring too :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

GSP is the Sebastien Loeb of MMA.

He's so dominant and so consistent, that he's just not interesting any more.

The division will be better when he leaves it.

Surely it would have been better to say he's the Silva of the WW division?

Either way, it's definitely not boring watching him perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

If he was taking someone down and holding them there for the round just to score points then your argument may have some justification.

However, he took Condit down with the intention to cause serious damage. Which he succeded in doing btw. He was always active, landed a considerable amount of strikes, and defended submission attempts.

Looking back on it, it was an incredible display of MMA. Condit also deserves credit for his part in the fight.

The fact is, if any other WW produced that display at the weekend there would only be streams of praise for it. Unfortunately, when it's GSP he is called boring.

Dude I'm allllll about 'it should be about finishing fights sh1t' but.... that fight on Sat was so fukin awesome and GSP could've lost it easily after that head kick... that kick had been 2 inches lower on the head... boom.... knockout

great fight... great performance. GSP ain't boring and I believe he tried to finish Condit when the chance arose it's just that condit stayed in it and came alive and survived a beating and nearly pulled an upset out the hat... respect to that guy he's tougher than tough. GSP threw a few heavy overhands and straights with bad intentions on Sat that if they had connected for real Condit was goin down. He got up in Condits face from the first second and fought him head on and pushed on more than we've seen him do for a long time... it was condit who was FORCED to back up and circle to his left from the first bell. As Joe said... he never earned GSPs respect in the bubble and GSP looked fearless and on his game. Boring my fukin assssss !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah OP, looks like you missed the bandwagon on this particular argument!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Surely it would have been better to say he's the Silva of the WW division?

Silva has a string of KO, TKO or Submission victories after a few boring fights. He's one of the most must see fighters there is. GSP is just like Loeb, you know he'll win and you know it generally won't be that exciting.

• Advertisement

Suppose you think chael is boring too :rolleyes:

you don't??? He is entertaining in his pre fight talk but he has an equally boring fighting style.

I can appreciate GSP's awesome wrestling, defensive bjj etc but when compared to the other p4p fighters like silva, bones and aldo he is certainly not as exciting as these. It's all relative i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

The idea is to win. You could argue it would be more exciting to see a KO or sub from GSP but you just have to admire how technically proficient he is in everything he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

you don't??? He is entertaining in his pre fight talk but he has an equally boring fighting style.

I can appreciate GSP's awesome wrestling, defensive bjj etc but when compared to the other p4p fighters like silva, bones and aldo he is certainly not as exciting as these. It's all relative i guess

I've never seen a boring chael fight besides filho 2.
    the guy is relentless.
    did you even watch the condit gsp fight or just hear it was a decision and came straight here to bitch about it?
    shields wasn't a very exciting fight but most of his other ones have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

GSP is one of the greatest MMA fighters. He's not boring you just need to appreciate his skill

Advertisement