Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Newstalk radio station anti-Fianna Fail

• 20-11-2012 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

More than one occasion I've heard something like 'is the public suffering amnesia' from broadcasters in reference to FF rising in opinion polls. Especially on the Lunch-Time programme.

Whether they are right or not is a subjective thing, but it's not really impartial is it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Anything that Fine Gael have done bad, Fianna Fáil have done bad - for longer.

I remember hearing a FFer on the radio complain that the government should legislate for abortion. I honestly felt like driving to whatever studio he was in and slapping him; FF themselves are suffering from amnesia and their absolute failure to legislate.

What have FF done to gain a rise in the polls exactly? if you can't answer that then it's clear amnesia is afflicting the electorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I presume that newstalk is run and operated by intelligent, experienced and educated people.

Wouldn't an anti fianna failure bias be a given?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

It's definitely not impartial but I can't blame them. The way people vote in this country is ridiculous. The gen pop needs a constant reminder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

I suspect that George Hook has a dislike to FF - Especially Bertie -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

An anti-FF bias is reasonable, the pro-FG stance is what bugs me, well that and the lunatic slavering of Mr. Hook

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Agree with the last poster, FF bashing is reasonable and neccessary, especially considering Irish people have the memory of a goldfish but newstalk seems to be blueshirt propaganda more so than constructive criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Enright wrote: »
    I suspect that George Hook has a dislike to FF - Especially Bertie -
    he does, but he also is lampasting FG recently so its not that he lets his self addmitted favour of FG totally blind him to whats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Prior to the 2007 general election they had Enda Kenny on the lunch time show at least once a week and FG frontbenchers announcing some new proposal 3 out of the other 4 days. It was a full court press to get FG as much publicity as possible prior to the Election being called and the rules on balanced coverage coming into force.

Since then there has been a cooling in the relationship and they didn't get the same amount of coverage in 2011. There was still a pro FG line from the station but it was more FG over Labour rather than FF who were largely ignored as they were already beaten before the election was called.

Since they came to power they certainly have had a much easier ride than FF were getting in power. But I notice that certain ministers get an easier time than others. There is a bit of a slagging of Enda Kenny while James Reilly and Phil Hogan are generally crucified everytime they issue any press release. On the flip side Richard Bruton is treated with amazing, almost presidential, respect whenever he is on while Lucinda Creighton and Leo Varadkar are pretty much guest presenters at this point. My guess would be O'Brien sided with Bruton in the internal FG coup attempt a couple of years ago and that divide still exists under the surface which is impacting on the coverage they are getting. Were Enda to get a plum job in Europe and Richard move into the top job the full court press could be back before the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Considering the record of FF, an "anti-FF" bias seems only logical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Agree with the last poster, FF bashing is reasonable and neccessary, especially considering Irish people have the memory of a goldfish but newstalk seems to be blueshirt propaganda more so than constructive criticism.

Indeed, Newstalk is run by upright citizen Denis O'Brien who is currently cosying up to FG. As Sam Smyth could recount, Mr O'Brien is not afraid to offer some 'editorial guidance'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Godot. wrote: »
    More than one occasion I've heard something like 'is the public suffering amnesia' from broadcasters in reference to FF rising in opinion polls. Especially on the Lunch-Time programme.

Whether they are right or not is a subjective thing, but it's not really impartial is it?
    It's hardly bias to state the obvious fact that ff ruined the country.
    Newstalk is fine gael first, fianna fail second, labour third and sinn fein a distant fourth in terms of bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Godot. wrote: »

It's hardly bias to state the obvious fact that ff ruined the country.
    Newstalk is fine gael first, fianna fail second, labour third and sinn fein a distant fourth in terms of bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

"a lot done" thank god they didnt get a chance "for more to do"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nodin wrote: »
    Indeed, Newstalk is owned by upright citizen Denis O'Brien who is currently cosying up to FG. As Sam Smyth could recount, Mr O'Brien is not afraid to offer some 'editorial guidance'.
    FYP Nodin. Just for clarity. May be splitting hairs, but this is one worth splitting. Various of their presenters have addressed same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

endacl wrote: »
    FYP Nodin. Just for clarity. May be splitting hairs, but this is one worth splitting. Various of their presenters have addressed same.

I'm sure they have.....however given the willingness of Mr O'Brien to resort to the solicitors letter, the fate of Sam Smyth etc, I think both are true.

Advertisement