Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I stop this sh*t from happening

• 20-11-2012 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

This has only started in the last few weeks. I've had to delete a few apps because they made horn noises and everything when this crap would pop up.

I have notifications turned off since day one, never had it switched on at all. Any ideas?

229350.PNG

229349.PNG

229348.PNG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

They are definitely notifications. Go to notifications and tap each app listed and make sure none is selected for alert style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When you download an app and use it for the first time it says;
    "PocketClimb wants to send you push notifications"

Stop clocking yes when that happens. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I have notifications turned off since day one, never had it switched on at all
    check again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I had a similar problem but with an android device. I installed airpush detector and addons detector which let me know which apps were
    pushing out these notifications. Have a root around and see if there is something available like this for apple ie http://www.ollapp.com/app/airpush-detector/iphone

eoing1 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem but with an android device. I installed airpush detector and addons detector which let me know which apps were
    pushing out these notifications. Have a root around and see if there is something available like this for apple ie http://www.ollapp.com/app/airpush-detector/iphone
    There is no need for anything like that. All notifications tell you what app it is from

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    All notifications tell you what app it is from

Sorry old chap but I beg to differ,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Sorry eoing1 Guil is right.

OP, go into Settings -> Notifications -> Select the app you wish to silence and set "Notification Center" to Off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Mellor wrote: »
    When you download an app and use it for the first time it says;
    "PocketClimb wants to send you push notifications"

Stop clocking yes when that happens. ;)

I've never once clicked yes. Infact, I don't think that even comes up once all notifications are turned off.

I've just switched notifications on to see that every app on the list is turned off, which they are, but annoyingly enough some of the guilty apps aren't even on the list.

You can see that pocketclimb is turned off, but wordjewels and storm the train should be there as well but they're not, along with a few others that are missing.
    229359.PNG

I presume you're not on iOS 6. Scroll down in settings and see is the app there. Sometimes notification settings are in there or in the app itself

No I'm on ios 4. I don't want to burden my 3gs with ios 5 or 6.

There's no other settings for any guity apps.

It's so annoying. It never happened before until a couple of weeks ago when some ****ty little app woke me up a big horn blasting noise. I thought it was something outside because I didn't expect it to come from my phone. :pac:

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    There is no need for anything like that. All notifications tell you what app it is from
    Graham wrote: »
    Sorry eoing1 Guil is right.

OP, go into Settings -> Notifications -> Select the app you wish to silence and set "Notification Center" to Off.

Fair play, thats what I get for talking about android on an ios thread:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

It's so annoying. It never happened before until a couple of weeks ago when some ****ty little app woke me up a big horn blasting noise. I thought it was something outside because I didn't expect it to come from my phone. :pac:

I realise this is neither helpful or nice, but the thought of you being woken up at some unglodly hour by your phone making a 'big horn blasting noise' has me in stiches.

I hope I don't get banned for this......

ArthurG wrote: »
    I realise this is neither helpful or nice, but the thought of you being woken up at some unglodly hour by your phone making a 'big horn blasting noise' has me in stiches.

You're welcome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Is your phone jailbroken?

If not, and you're certain that nothing can send you Push Notifications, then it's likely that some developer has broken Apple's submission rules. If it were my phone doing this, I'd probably just use it as an excuse for a good old-fashioned app purge - run through all your apps, find anything you don't regularly use, and delete it. If it's an app, it's likely it's some crappy play-it-once-and-wonder-why-the-hell-you're-wasting-your-life game.

I'm not too well up on security, but given that you're not on iOS 6 (the only version with up-to-date security patches), I guess it could be possible that some Safari hack is doing this. Tbh I'm not sure how you'd fix that, though I've been told that the Jailbreak community tends to stay up-to-date on security for older versions of iOS. And those banners do have a spammy, malware-like feel to them tbh...

I've never once clicked yes. Infact, I don't think that even comes up once all notifications are turned off.

I've just switched notifications on to see that every app on the list is turned off, which they are, but annoyingly enough some of the guilty apps aren't even on the list

You mentioned you had notifications turned off before. And again twice in that post. There hasn't been a notification on off switch in a long time. It's handled by notification centre. And I don't think apps sat "off".

So I'm guessing the problem is you are running an old iOS. Something 4.x or earlier. And those apps were develop

Is your phone jailbroken?

If not, and you're certain that nothing can send you Push Notifications, then it's likely that some developer has broken Apple's submission rules. If it were my phone doing this, I'd probably just use it as an excuse for a good old-fashioned app purge - run through all your apps, find anything you don't regularly use, and delete it. If it's an app, it's likely it's some crappy play-it-once-and-wonder-why-the-hell-you're-wasting-your-life game.

I'm not too well up on security, but given that you're not on iOS 6 (the only version with up-to-date security patches), I guess it could be possible that some Safari hack is doing this. Tbh I'm not sure how you'd fix that, though I've been told that the Jailbreak community tends to stay up-to-date on security for older versions of iOS. And those banners do have a spammy, malware-like feel to them tbh...

Yeah I have it jailbroken alright. I did a quick search there and found this ISSLfix, which is installing now. I'm sure it has nothing to do with this but it's no harm anyway.

Might be a good idea doing an app purge like you said.

Mellor wrote: »
    So I'm guessing the problem is you are running an old iOS. Something 4.x or earlier. And those apps were develop
    I see you replied while I was taking my time to reply.

Id say the problem is that you are ios4. The apps are made for a later iOS version. They are sending out push alerts that are a newer format, so gets past the "off" in settings.

Advertisement