Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless is the best entertainment show out there

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

brian_t wrote: »
    I don't know how you can remember contestants names from last September.

Well, I don't remember the names of the grandfather and granddaughter that Paul and Emma beat... :D;)

Any chance that Go Harvey Go and the lovely Emma ( ;) ) are one and the same ? :pac:

No chance at all - I'm male, and a good bit younger than Emma. :D:D;)

This episode, and others from the start of series 7, did turn up on YouTube a few months ago. They weren't there for very long, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Well, I don't remember the names of the grandfather and granddaughter that Paul and Emma beat... :D;)

No chance at all - I'm male, and a good bit younger than Emma. :D:D;)

This episode, and others from the start of series 7, did turn up on YouTube a few months ago. They weren't there for very long, though...

Haha, apologies, I was full sure the way you were talking that it must have been you. They certainly made an impression anyway :pac:

I was like the cat that got the cream with the first question today. Breaking Bad, Supernatural and Fringe :D

Can't believe that BB scored so low. You know anyone who hasn't seen it should really watch it. It would be right up your street :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

I never got into Breaking Bad but I would have got Fringe and Bones.

I notice that for this series they have done away with the box that shorter contestants were put standing on in the last 2 rounds.

brian_t wrote: »
    I never got into Breaking Bad but I would have got Fringe and Bones.

I notice that for this series they have done away with the box that shorter contestants were put standing on in the last 2 rounds.

What? You haven't? But it's great, you know you should really watch it :D

I'll stop don't worry :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

What? You haven't? But it's great, you know you should really watch it :D

I'll stop don't worry :pac:

Have you not seen it? It's amazing. You really should watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Nice article in The Guardian today about Pointless, they spoke to both Richard and Xander about how they became involved in the show and how it has evolved.

It is well worth a read, but here is the important part
    The show is now in its ninth series. An average of 3.6 million people tune in every day to watch, and prime-time spin-off Pointless Celebrities is in its fifth series. Thursday's show – on BBC1, at 5.15pm – will be the 500th episode. The 600th has already been recorded.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/jun/04/pointless-alexander-armstrong-richard-osman

Pointless is more popular than ever, and it sounds like there will be lots more to come. I wonder if they will do anything special for the 500th show?

Skid X wrote: »
    Nice article in The Guardian today about Pointless, they spoke to both Richard and Xander about how they became involved in the show and how it has evolved.

It is well worth a read, but here is the important part

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/jun/04/pointless-alexander-armstrong-richard-osman

Pointless is more popular than ever, and it sounds like there will be lots more to come. I wonder if they will do anything special for the 500th show?

That was a very positive take on Pointless. The biggest problem would be if it became too popular, as in Richard and Xander got offers they couldn't refuse for other jobs. I couldn't imagine the show without either of them, but luckily it looks like we won't have that issue for a long time to come if they're to be believed :)

I think I remember Richard tweeting about something special for the 500th alright which is on Thursday. Today was 498th so Friday will see the new endgame too.

An exciting week for Pointless :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Quite hard questions today (well I have struggled more than usual anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Scandinavian Theatre; fair play to them for going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Most impressive contestants ever.

Hon the Adam

He was the feckin' Pointless Terminator to be fair. Horrendous questions or not nobody else stood a chance. Sure he'd have cleaned up on Sport and Geography too.

Absolutely hilarious when Xander asked him how much he'd won on a race, he certainly wasn't expecting to hear 20 grand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

That dude was a machine, and the wife was pretty good as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Great contestants. Very deserving winners. Here's to 500 tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Can't remember a couple steam rolling through it quite as well as they did. Quite liked your man Adam, had a very dry sense of humor.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Looking forward to today's offering. Number 500!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

They were excellent, and I was delighted they won, and that the money was so substantial. Personally, the 1970s albums and the 19th Century novels were absolute dream categories for me, though I thought it was weird that the second board of album titles was so much trickier than the first.

I have to say, the bloke offering Scrooge as an answer was almost as bad as the guy who didn't know what a consonant was. I think his cohort was mortified. Mind you, he then thought Wuthering Heights would be obscure enough to give them a fighting chance, so there was a pair of them in it.

Scandinavian Drama did have a 99.99999% chance of being Ibsen though, so they were dead right to go for it. It's not like the much-offered-but-never-taken Irish Playwrights, which could really screw someone up if they were hoping for Plays Written by Samuel Beckett and got Plays Written by Brian Friel. :rolleyes:

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    Looking forward to today's offering. Number 500!

There was a piece in the Guardian about Pointless which said that the 600th episode has already been filmed!
    The show is now in its ninth series. An average of 3.6 million people tune in every day to watch, and prime-time spin-off Pointless Celebrities is in its fifth series. Thursday's show – on BBC1, at 5.15pm – will be the 500th episode. The 600th has already been recorded.

• Advertisement

Gamayun wrote: »
    There was a piece in the Guardian about Pointless which said that the 600th episode has already been filmed!

Skid X beat you too it on the last page, but it was a good read and let's hope there'll be another 400 following that 100 :)

I'm genuinely excited about the 500th episode. If Central African Republic doesn't make an appearance I'll be shocked :eek:

And now there's only one thing left for me to introduce and he's got 499 problems but the facts ain't one...he's my Pointless friend, Richard.

Hiya, hello

See ye on the other side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

After 500 shows, Alexander Armstrong has more hair now than when he started.....

Ha! True.
    This is a SUPERB show so far.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

This is unreal. If you know German, it's easy-peasy. If you don't, you're screwed.
    Sara's logic in taking nose off the board was inspired.
    Not just a pretty face.

That was VERY unlucky.
    At least Manic Street Preachers weren't Pointless.
    That would be like kicking them when they're down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I really liked it today. Having four strong teams makes the gameplay much better.

Maybe they should bring back some of the Pointless Jackpot winners for some 'Pointless Champions' shows (Or more of those who just missed out).

Did anyone notice Xander's slip up in the Britney Spears Head to Head round? The first team scored 20 points on the Picture round. When the second team gave their answer he said "It's right ... is it going to beat 16?" (he should have said 20) And then the answer did score 16. It seems like he had the number in his head and said it accidentally. It's about 29 minutes into the show.

• Advertisement

I can't say I noticed the slip at all, somebody could easily have just fed him the number through his ear and just got tongue tied (ties in with his whole awkward presenting he was talking about in that article).

However I think a "champions" show would be great. I reckon it could be plausible in the future, if Richard hadn't realised it before today he certainly will have done noe. I for one would prefer it to a celebrity show.

It really was a great scrap today. It's almost fitting that they failed to get the jackpot by another narrow margin, or maybe I've just been watching too much Game of Thrones and becoming a little sadistic :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement