Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless is the best entertainment show out there

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Growing more and more fond of word ending in ..... rounds.

Had afterglow and contraflow today :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I had contraflow too, i'm usually rubbish at those rounds but was delighted with contraflow. Last round was pretty tough, with there only being 3 pointless answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

siblers wrote: »
    I had contraflow too, i'm usually rubbish at those rounds but was delighted with contraflow. Last round was pretty tough, with there only being 3 pointless answers.

I think if I got to the final money round of Pointless, I'd pick something obscure, even if my knowledge of the subject was sketchy. Often when contestants choose something like films, TV or music, there are too many answers that wouldn't be pointless, and only a smallish number that are pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

... hence "Scandinavian Theatre" being a winner, if you're quietly confident that it'll be Ibsen and that you know a few potential Pointless answers.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yep, and its not like Richard doesn't say the same every few episodes when someone picks actors or pop music or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Skid X wrote: »
    Did anyone notice Xander's slip up in the Britney Spears Head to Head round? The first team scored 20 points on the Picture round. When the second team gave their answer he said "It's right ... is it going to beat 16?" (he should have said 20) And then the answer did score 16. It seems like he had the number in his head and said it accidentally. It's about 29 minutes into the show.

I re-winded and had a look, it's certainly there. People were asking Richard on twitter and he says it was an editing issue as they rejig bits and pieces. Now it could all be lies but I trust Richard, blind faith maybe but that man is our hero :pac:
    I also noticed how amazing Sara was :D

And today's the day that we get our slightly different endgame

Hold on to your hats it's going to be a wild ride by the sounds of it :pac:

Richard:
    Don't forget our 'slightly' brand new #Pointless jackpot round starts tmrw. If you like things that are slightly different you'll love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

This guy Paul has the personality of Baldrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Alex and Paul had to one of the weirdest combinations ever on the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I like the new ending.
    Picked one from each category and went for Bobby Jones,Margaret Court and Mark Selby
    All pointless :D
    Thought the student journalist was too full of herself, but fair play for the girl with the glasses as she won it for them.
    Tasty enough too

Delighted the man with "Milly 2" crashed and burned. One of the most annoying contestants in a long time I thought, Xander didn't know what to make of him :pac:

As for the "slightly different endgame" I think I'll give it a week at least before I cast judgement. While it seems easier it also overloaded my brain trying to think of 3 different categories in 60 seconds. Will work wonders when you only know about one topic though. Time will tell.

@castletownman: She was no Sara yesterday though :D

The new endgame seemed awful confusing, my head would be all over the place thinking of answers from 3 categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    The new endgame seemed awful confusing, my head would be all over the place thinking of answers from 3 categories.

Ya don't like it at all. Would normally have been good at all of those but trying to think about threee different categories at once is no fun tbh.

Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

True, I think sports can be the exception though. There's nearly always one or two well known teams/players etc that are pointless. Actors, bands, songs etc are usually really tough to get

Agreed with what has been said about the new final round, I think having to pick one of the 3 sub categories is fine but mixing them together is just too head melting. Although after a while we'll probably get used to it and not really notice it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

I agree, it gives the contestants a better chance of winning but it is too much to process in 60 seconds.

It would be better if they were given the option of picking just one of the three sub-categories.

For your Pointless pleasure on a Saturday I present "The World Cup of Chocolate". Another Richard Osman delight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/08/watercress-soup-pointless-talk-chocolate?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It's time for another Richard Osman interview!

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-06-10/pointless-star-richard-osman-on-the-show-that-made-him-a-tv-heart-throb

They have already filmed the Christmas Special :eek:
    It sounds great :)
    Just the day before, he and Armstrong filmed this year’s Pointless Christmas special. “Wizzard played I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day, the real Santa was there, as were the Chuckle Brothers, and Xander and I wore Christmas jumpers.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Did anybody spot the editing error, I think it was yesterday or maybe the day before, when they were showing the contestants at the start and for one of the couples, instead of the Pointless logo, it briefly showed 120 instead :) They did indeed go on to score 120 in the first round too!

• Advertisement

I ran amok with Pointless answers today :D
    Del Bosque, Ramos, Heynekes, Hodgson
    to name a few. Fairly confident there were many more they didn't even mention.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if
    Pellegrini, Camacho, Luxemburgo and Quiroz
    were all Pointless too. Even
    Benitez and Cuper
    for Inter and maybe even
    Van Gaal
    for Bayern were all Pointless.

It's days like this that I wish they published all the pointless answers somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

I ran amok with Pointless answers today :D

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah to name a few. Fairly confident there were many more they didn't even mention.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Blah, Blah, Blah and Blah were all Pointless too. Even Blah and Blah for Inter and maybe even Blah for Bayern were all Pointless.

It's days like this that I wish they published all the pointless answers somewhere

Richard said that to some people at home all these will be just words.

I think he was looking at me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Haven't we all known for ages that Trappatoni was Pointless. :D

Amazing ratings for #Pointless this week, thank you all so much! There are 80 new episodes still to come, and filming 180 more in Autumn.

Richards Twitter Update from yesterday.

I hope they have a well deserved summer break although I imagine he likes to keep busy.

I enjoyed the final round yesterday but I don't know how you would work out what 007 answers would be pointless.

I think I was still in shock that those 2 women managed to make it to the Head to Head.

Rob and Roy were cruising to the final easily enough. I am shocked that one of them gave California as an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

brian_t wrote: »
    I enjoyed the final round yesterday but I don't know how you would work out what 007 answers would be pointless.

Argh! I missed this. What was the 007 question?
    I'd like a punt at it.

(Bond nerd)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Argh! I missed this. What was the 007 question?
    I'd like a punt at it.

(Bond nerd)

The three categories were

1. Bond Directors
    2. Actors who have played "M" or "Q"
    3. Artists who performed during the opening credits for the Roger Moore films

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

spencer perceval is my bog standard english politics answer. Always gets a low score.

So, what would you study if you were going on?
    A map of the world with capital cities, the periodic table, tennis grand slam finals, golf major winners, american presidents. Anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Cienciano wrote: »
    spencer perceval is my bog standard english politics answer. Always gets a low score.

So, what would you study if you were going on?
    A map of the world with capital cities, the periodic table, tennis grand slam finals, golf major winners, american presidents. Anything else?
    The most common category seems to be films/actors/actresses. Unfortunately I am useless at it and you can't really brush up on it in a short time. I am always surprised at how little British people seem to know about their own history and geography. There was a question a while about British islands and the standard of answers was abysmal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement