Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless is the best entertainment show out there

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    The three categories were

1. Bond Directors
    2. Actors who have played "M" or "Q"
    3. Artists who performed during the opening credits for the Roger Moore films

Just back on here now, so without internet consultation (honest, guv'nor):

John Glen, Terence Young for directors
    I presume they mean performers of the opening song, so I'll go with Rita Coolidge, who did All Time High for Octopussy.
    How would they have fared?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

Argh! I missed this. What was the 007 question?
    I'd like a punt at it.

(Bond nerd)

You probably would have enjoyed the first round too.
    You were given a list of films and asked Which Actress won an Oscar for them.

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
    Boys Don't Cry
    Mary Poppins
    Roman Holiday
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
    A Streetcar Named Desire
    Funny Girl

Mildred Pierce
    The Silence of the Lambs
    The Great Ziegfeld
    Cabaret
    Sophie's Choice
    Jezebel
    Misery

I presume they mean performers of the opening song, so I'll go with Rita Coolidge, who did All Time High for Octopussy.
    How would they have fared?

Well done. That was the only pointless opening song.

Re: the Oscar-winning actresses -

I would have known them all except The Great Ziegfeld, which I've since looked up.
    I wish I'd seen it: I'd have liked to see how the points were spread around.
    Some people may not know something like Boys Don't Cry, and likewise, Jezebel would mean nothing to others.

Torture!

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

brian_t wrote: »
    Well done. That was the only pointless opening song.

Awesome! I suspect nobody remembers it because (a) it doesn't share its title with the film, and (b) it wasn't that big of a hit. I'd guess that Live and Let Die, A View to a Kill and Nobody Does It Better were the highest scoring ones.

I always thought a great Bond question would be to name actors who have appeared in two or more of the films. The Bonds themselves (apart from Lazenby) and the mainstays like Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell and Desmond Llewelyn would be the obvious high scoring ones, but there are actually loads of other answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Cienciano wrote: »
    spencer perceval is my bog standard english politics answer. Always gets a low score.

So, what would you study if you were going on?
    A map of the world with capital cities, the periodic table, tennis grand slam finals, golf major winners, american presidents. Anything else?

That's a good list, all of those come up regularly. The only other one I would add is Shakespeare plays. And Alec Douglas-Home is another good Prime Minister answer, if they ask about the 20th Century.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Cienciano wrote: »
    spencer perceval is my bog standard english politics answer. Always gets a low score.

So, what would you study if you were going on?
    A map of the world with capital cities, the periodic table, tennis grand slam finals, golf major winners, american presidents. Anything else?

I'd add African countries to that. I'm one of those students that Richard claims would be brilliant or hopeless. The one gripe I have with him is that there are a lot of question which refer back to the 80's and older. Sometimes there may be a token recent answer but I always struggle unless it's music where I may have some hope.

Take the Oscars question. I thought it'd be grand until I saw the options. I had Julie Andrews and Jodie Foster only.

My best topics are Sport (Rugby, football, tennis, golf)and Geography (anything that's not UK related). With token questions like economics, recent tv/movie and I long for the day that "A Song of Ice and Fire"/Game of Thrones question comes up.

The three categories were

1. Bond Directors
    Guy Hamilton, Marc Forster, Martin Campbell, Peter Hunt, Lee Tamahori, Michael Apted and Roger Spottiswood

2. Actors who have played "M" or "Q"
    Robert Brown

3. Artists who performed during the opening credits for the Roger Moore films
    Rita Coolidge

They guessed Sheena Easton, Carly Simon and Desmond Llewelyn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Skid X wrote: »
    That's a good list, all of those come up regularly. The only other one I would add is Shakespeare plays. And Alec Douglas-Home is another good Prime Minister answer, if they ask about the 20th Century.
    Shakespeare plays is a good one. You'd definitely get a pointless answer if you spend half an hour reading up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Theres a pointless thread! Aint been around in a while.. Always try and catch it, looking at it now. Love an auld pun me!! Just had a fictional addresses and its inhabitants round there, Who lived at 7 Eccles St, Dublin.. Initial LB. Couldn't get it.. Bad form, kicked myself when they revealed
    Leopold Bloom

• Advertisement

Yet again, nobody knows anything about the Booker Prize.
    I guessed Vernon God Little and The Line of Beauty.
    Both Pointless. Win!

I may not have been able to win the jackpot but I ran riot in question one. Years of watching Soccer Saturday and seeing the Scottish teams' score in passing served me well. Had Elgin for Pointless but would have gone with Annan Athletic for one in the game.
    I should have known "The Aviator" and LOTR
    for the endgame.

Oh and
    One Direction
    getting 10 points :eek: Jesus wept, the most pointless answer out there really :pac:

I would just like to point out the irony of
    a team with two members called Rob and Roy going out on a question about Scottish Football.

Caledonian Thistle was a terrible answer - Out of 8 people there was always going to be someone who answered either Celtic or Rangers, thus scoring huge points. All he needed to do was pick any other team he knew the name of.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUpZIuskV5g5cSvceRgPKTVnWewspXCjAzV8iq1so6lDlpfB0h

I would just like to point out the irony of
    a team with two members called Rob and Roy going out on a question about Scottish Football.

Caledonian Thistle was a terrible answer - Out of 8 people there was always going to be someone who answered either Celtic or Rangers, thus scoring huge points. All he needed to do was pick any other team he knew the name of.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUpZIuskV5g5cSvceRgPKTVnWewspXCjAzV8iq1so6lDlpfB0h

:pac:

To be fair to him they were called Caledonian Thistle for the first 2 years of their existence in 1994 til 1996 but even so he should surely know where they were based. They had so much potential but seemed prone to "brain farts" for want of a better term. I mean California was a terrible answer yesterday too but they came up with low scorers otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

I thought it was a bit unfair seeing as Celtic and Rangers should have had Glasgow attached surely. If they allow glasgow to be omitted why not Inverness?

muckisluck wrote: »
    I thought it was a bit unfair seeing as Celtic and Rangers should have had Glasgow attached surely. If they allow glasgow to be omitted why not Inverness?

They aren't called Glasgow Celtic or Glasgow Rangers, no more than Arsenal are called London Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

They aren't called Glasgow Celtic or Glasgow Rangers, no more than Arsenal are called London Arsenal.

Now that's something new I've learned today. I have always heard them referred to with Glasgow in the title but I checked the official website and you're absolutely right. It probably says something about where I grew up. :eek:I wonder would they have been called out if they'd put in the Glasgow in the title. apart from this glitch though I must say I had a brilliant show today;)

Oh I forgot the most important part of today.

Wallace and Gromit live in bloody
    Wigan
    of all places :eek: Nearly fell off my chair with shock :pac:

Sure what's the fascination with Wensleydale cheese so? Always assume they'd have been from Yorkshire due to that, granted there isn't light-years between them but still my mind was blown.

muckisluck wrote: »
    Now that's something new I've learned today. I have always heard them referred to with Glasgow in the title but I checked the official website and you're absolutely right. It probably says something about where I grew up. :eek:I wonder would they have been called out if they'd put in the Glasgow in the title. apart from this glitch though I must say I had a brilliant show today;)

Yeah, I got it wrong years ago, a man from Glasgow gave me a long lecture about it, never again! That's a good point about whether Glasgow Celtic would have been allowed. If it came after (Inverness) Caledonian Thistle I suspect they might have disallowed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would have won the jackpot had I been there today :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Got Gromit, just saw the G and guessed it was him, got LB as well as Elgin City.

African countries are a good one, I got
    Burundi
    the other day but it was a guess, would have went with Tanzania but it was 2. Got
    Luxembourg
    that day as well,
    Riga
    would have been a punt as I wasn't sure about
    the Baltic states.
    . Got
    Hodgson
    for Inter managers.
    Del Bosque
    was pointless before, but I can never remember his name, might be why he is pointless!

Have said it before but even a passing interest in N.I. politics often pays of in U.K. politics. The Earl of Liverpool is a name I've learned from pointless!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,523 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

:D

Why oh why did I click the link, I'm going to be humming it for hours :eek:

:eek:

Thank you Bjork! I got Big Time Sensuality

Off to listen to my Bjork/Sugarcubes/Roxette/Aqua mixtape now :)

Also, your man guessing that Dover has a Football club nicknamed the Bluebirds. It was a silly answer, but I think he was thinking of the World War 2 song 'There'll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover'

The song was written by an American Walter Kent who had never visited Dover. But he did in 1989, and he thought the cliffs were exactly as had imagined.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1915&dat=19940305&id=AfYgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tnIFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3573,1336249

There you go, a little bit of trivia for you :)

Also, your man guessing that Dover has a Football club nicknamed the Bluebirds. It was a silly answer, but I think he was thinking of the World War 2 song 'There'll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover'

The song was written by an American Walter Kent who had never visited Dover. But he did in 1989, and he thought the cliffs were exactly as had imagined.

There you go, a little bit of trivia for you :)

For a few moments I thought he'd nearly "thrown" the game as it was such an incomprehensible answer. So I really hope that's what he was thinking. It was worse than asking what a consonant was in my book as a football fan and a geography fan :pac:

Dr. Jones, Jones, calling Dr. Jones
    Dr. Jones, Dr. Jones wake up now

Ah yippie eyyye oooh
    Ah yippie eyye eeeh
    Ah yippie eyye yay ohwaah

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 72,523 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The guy might have been thinking of the mighty Cardiff City - they are nicknamed The Bluebirds!

The guy might have been thinking of the mighty Cardiff City - they are nicknamed The Bluebirds!

Yeah, that was the correct answer. The mighty blues er, reds of Cardiff.

Also, two contestants, one from Sunderland (Emma) and one from Newcastle ('Dover' Adam), neither of whom knew that Newcastle is the city located between Carlisle and Sunderland.

Not a good day for the North East of England.

Edit: On second thoughts, Durham is also a city which is (sort of) between Carlisle and Sunderland. Not a great question

area_map_Large.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Deserved winners, they were a very good pair. Got a pointless answer with Georgia, so I was happy as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Deserved winners, they were a very good pair. Got a pointless answer with Georgia, so I was happy as well.

Yeah liked them. I had 2 pointless answers in the game Seychelles and Steve McQueen and tennessee in final. Personal record for me, where's my parade?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement