Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless is the best entertainment show out there

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No surprise really that ratings for 'Pointless' are high, considering ITV's dire rival gameshow 'Take On The Twisters'.

Don't forget 'tipping point'

• Registered Users Posts: 72,523 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

That ain't bread... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Someone call the BBC and tell them we need them to get Xander busy making new episodes of Pointless.

Judging by that video he hasn't deal with the extended break at all well.

Save Xander. Make more Pointless.
    That ain't bread... :D

That's toast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

brian_t wrote: »

Only just gotten around to watching this episode now & it's things like this that make me love this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sebastian Faulks is not that obscure but I'd challenge most people to name 4 of them. My favourite Pointless story relates to one of the celebrities editions (world's best named show Pointless Celebrities). Apparently, they had to run the first round 3 times because on the first 2 attempts, all 4 pairs got 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just switched over to Pointless after they cancelled The chase for this horrific Twister crap, but the thing I dont understand is the defeated teams coming back day after day, how does that work exactly? Are they like teams playing in a tournament? Is there a grand prize at the end of the series or something? Its never explained what the structure is and how they calculate the jackpot etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Thargor wrote: »
    Just switched over to Pointless after they cancelled The chase for this horrific Twister crap, but the thing I dont understand is the defeated teams coming back day after day, how does that work exactly? Are they like teams playing in a tournament? Is there a grand prize at the end of the series or something? Its never explained what the structure is and how they calculate the jackpot etc.

the defeated teams coming back day after day, how does that work exactly?
    If you don't get through to the last round on your first day, you come back on the second day. If you still don't get through then bye bye

Are they like teams playing in a tournament?
    No

Is there a grand prize at the end of the series or something?
    No

Its never explained what the structure is and how they calculate the jackpot etc
    Jackpot goes up £1k every day until its won. If someone (anyone) gets a pointless answer it adss £250 to the jackpot

Perfect thanks Squrm, feel like I should have been watching Pointless all along when I got in from work but the Chase did have its moments.

• Advertisement

I've only ever seen The Chase once in my life in the form of a celeb version on tv3 last week I think. I think it's safe to say I jumped on the right show a few years back. Xander and Richard are the best double-act on TV bar nobody...

.....although Ben Miller may have something to say about that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,758 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Thargor wrote: »
    they cancelled The chase

That's a shame. I enjoyed that.

lertsnim wrote: »
    That's a shame. I enjoyed that.
    Shouldnt have said cancelled, looks like it will be back in September:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chase_(game_show)

I think Im in the Pointless camp now though.

'The Chase' is one of ITV's highest-rated daytime shows - the Swansea City to the Manchester United of Pointless!

I remember this time last year, ITV had 'Don't Blow The Inheritence' with Tim Vine...pun-tastic!

Knobstick :D

I'm just looking at you and saying knobstick :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I love when Im off and get to see pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

efb wrote: »
    I love when Im off and get to see pointless!

I'm not watching at the moment cos I've seen all the series to date and have also watched the repeat of the series they are currently when it was on Challenge in June.

However when the new episodes come back I usually use one of them recording devices to make sure I never miss an episode even when I'm working. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

New episodes coming soon according to Richard's twitter:
    https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/365522283059621891

Can't wait for some new material!

ShazGV wrote: »
    New episodes coming soon according to Richard's twitter:
    https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/365522283059621891

Can't wait for some new material!

About time, 'Take On The Twisters' makes my brain hurt. At least bring back 'Don't Blow The Inheritence' for another run. Always refreshing to hear quick-fire general knowledge questions followed by...

Tim Vine: I met this gangster who pulls up the back of people's pants...it was Wedgie Kray :D

Nerdy fact:

'Pointless' had the original working title of 'Obviously'.

I have a feeling some of you at home would have got that...obviously. ;)

About time, 'Take On The Twisters' makes my brain hurt. At least bring back 'Don't Blow The Inheritence' for another run.

Or they could commission another Tim Vine vehicle, which surprisingly hasn't been picked up yet ...

Come on ITV, it's got to be better than mucking about with eggtimers or coin machines you can play in Courtown!

• Advertisement

With Go Harvey Go stateside, I got da thinking...what if BBC America starting showing 'Pointless'?

I imagine US audiences will like Xander and Richard's high-class English banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I've caught this on tv a number of times , still don't get why it warrants a thread let alone one this big . Can anyone enlighten me as to why this particular game show needs discussing ?

I've caught this on tv a number of times , still don't get why it warrants a thread let alone one this big . Can anyone enlighten me as to why this particular game show needs discussing ?

We have had this discussion before ...
    While I like the concept of having to choose the least popular answer like a reverse family fortunes I can't for the life of me understand why this show has a thread let alone one this size.

We like it, it's the most entertaining show on television.

If you don't like it, fair enough. There are lots of other shows and lots of other threads for you.

shrug.gif

Surely with a thread that has amassed 13 pages and over 500 posts to date shows that people really like the show. If you read the thread I'm sure you'll find your answers. If you don't like the show or don't appreciate it like the rest of us then that's unfortunately your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Skid X wrote: »
    We have had this discussion before ...

We like it, it's the most entertaining show on television.

If you don't like it, fair enough. There are lots of other shows and lots of other threads for you.

I know we are down to watching repeats but Phil, you don't have to join in and repeat the same criticisms from 4 months ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Firstly, I enjoy the show and catch it on iPlayer most evenings.

Secondly, I presume PhiloCypher isn't just trolling by coming in here and questioning the merits of the show on more than one occasion.

Thirdly, I expect a better argument from the fans of the show when questioned about it's quality. A 'move along, plenty of other threads for you' response is pretty ignorant given that it's a discussion forum.

I enjoy the show, think it's one of the better quiz shows out there and realise that there's a bit of talent in front of the cameras. But to claim it as 'the best entertainment show out there' and to shoot down anyone who begs to differ is kinda typical of this circle jerk of a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's a light entertainment quiz show going out at 5.15, yep, it has its faults, but compared to the Chase, Egg heads or the Weakest Link, I love its distinctive character.

To me its a show you either get or don't get. If you don't get it, that's fine, those who get it love it. That doesn't make it a circle jerk, that's a lazy, way over used term, posted trying to get a reaction.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Firstly, I enjoy the show and catch it on iPlayer most evenings.

Secondly, I presume PhiloCypher isn't just trolling by coming in here and questioning the merits of the show on more than one occasion.

Thirdly, I expect a better argument from the fans of the show when questioned about it's quality. A 'move along, plenty of other threads for you' response is pretty ignorant given that it's a discussion forum.

I enjoy the show, think it's one of the better quiz shows out there and realise that there's a bit of talent in front of the cameras. But to claim it as 'the best entertainment show out there' and to shoot down anyone who begs to differ is kinda typical of this circle jerk of a thread.

PhiloCypher was asking why it warrants such a thread of it's own and why it is so large a thread. Why does any thread with over 500 posts exist? Because it sparks interest. We find the show enjoyable and interesting and want to talk about it. Surely the question is why shouldn't we be discussing the show and why doesn't it warrant a thread. Especially as I assume we replied in the same manner the last time.

Personally I adore the banter between Richard and Xander. In my opinion I have yet to find a show where the presenters make me laugh and smile and bring me back day after day to anywhere near the extent that this pair do. It's even more remarkable that it is day after day as opposed to one episode a week. The quality is very high. I also really enjoy the gameshow itself. I think there is something inside most/all of us that makes us think we are better and know more than others and by going for the least well known answer on a topic is enjoyable for myself. It entertains me.

I believe I made this thread perhaps a week or two into my participation on boards which may have led to the over-zealous title which if any moderator would like to change it to simply "The Pointless Thread" I would not object however I still believe the statement to be true in my opinion. Pointless has become the bread and butter of my television schedule and I like bread and butter a lot. That ain't bread, that's toast.

As for it being a "circle jerk" of a thread of course the thread will naturally attract other people who enjoy the tv show. If the original question offered an opinion as to why this thread was pointless (pun absolutely intended) we could have discussed the reasoning behind that but unfortunately that didn't happen so we gave a basic answer of "we enjoy the show that's why we discuss it" which seemed to answer the question that was asked in my opinion. We didn't shoot anyone down. In fact I would actively welcome PhiloCypher to explain why the show should not have it's own thread within the television forum as I would love to know the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Two well explained posts there that didn't react to my borderline belligerent (and slightly drunken) post above.

I just took issue with the whole 'you don't like it, move along' type reaction which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine (even when it's a show i like myself). But you guys are right, it's not as if you were presented with a constructive criticism of the show that you could counter argue.

Fair play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

Pointless Celebrities - Sat 17 August at 5.45pm

Special sitcom edition with Mrs Brown
    Craig Charles, Danny John-Jules, Brendan O'Carroll, Jennifer Gibney, Su Pollard, Jeffrey Holland, Jean Boht & Nick Conway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039016x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement