Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding dog food

• 20-11-2012 6:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

Someone told me before that dogs are only meant to get 20% protein in their meals every day. I give my two complete dog food and have always given them madra brand as it is the only brand that had 20% all the others have 23-25%. I'm wondering firstly does it matter and secondly if it does can someone suggest a different dog food since madra decided to change for some reason and are now 25% protein as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would be more concerned about the quality of protein rather than the percentage tbh. Some people like to feed their dogs on higher percentage of protein, others like a lower, I don't think there is any set rule as long as the dog is thriving.

Cereals, derivatives of vegetable origin, meat and animal derivatives, vegetable protein extracts, oils and fats, minerals and vitamins.
    That is the ingredients list for madra, made up mostly of cereals, what cereals? And then you have the derivatives which is basically the stuff left over after anything of nutritional value has been taken. Would be much more worried about the above ingredients than the percentage of protein because the food is just muck.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=2014&cat=all
    Does not make for good reading, what would be your budget for food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You dont have to feed 20% protein. For a normal pet doing average exercise, anything from 18-25% is fine. Dogs with higher energy needs or dogs that are underweight can be fed a higher protein.

Dogs that are over weight need a lower protein.

Madra is awful stuff, one of the worst feeds so def try and get him on to something bit better quality.

Whats your budget for food every month and what kind of dog do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

andreac wrote: »
    You dont have to feed 20% protein. For a normal pet doing average exercise, anything from 18-25% is fine. Dogs with higher energy needs or dogs that are underweight can be fed a higher protein.

Dogs that are over weight need a lower protein.

Madra is awful stuff, one of the worst feeds so def try and get him on to something bit better quality.

Whats your budget for food every month and what kind of dog do you have?

I have two dogs. One is a beagle cross and the other is a jack russell cross. What other food would be a good one. I'm prob looking for something not overly expensive but then the big bag of madra is 14.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

petals wrote: »
    I have two dogs. One is a beagle cross and the other is a jack russell cross. What other food would be a good one. I'm prob looking for something not overly expensive but then the big bag of madra is 14.99

I would go for something like Arden Grange, Clinivet, Barking Heads, Taste of The Wild etc. You can have a nosy online too for foods and get some offers on the likes of Zooplus.
    But just remember, a big bag 15kg of good quality dog food will last a lot longer than a cheaper food like Madra, as you have to feed a lot less of the better food.
    Clinivet is another one ive found very good.
    What size bags were you buying, was it smaller ones?

Its more economical to buy a bigger bag, 15kg and then put it into a plastic or metal bin to keep it fresh.

There are plenty more foods in your local pet shop that would be a lot better quality than Madra. Pop in and have a lot. Just make sure the first ingredient on the bag is Meat and not "Meat/Animal Derivitives" or any type of Derivitives as thats a big no no and means its a very poor food.

Stay away from the likes of Pedigree, Bakers, Beta etc.

Advertisement