Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why haven't we more Irish produced quiz shows ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Pal wrote: »
    When RTE did Millionaire, I recall that they made an absolute bags of it.

The first show had questions so difficult that even Smarmy Gaybo couldn't carry the squirming contestants. It was excrutiating to watch.

So they dumbed it down. Problem was thay didn't bother to check the answers. Like for example who the first James Bond was. Doh ! (Barry Nelson if you must know). They said Sean Connery.

They probably know now but I wouldn't bet on it. their switchboard was overloaded with Bond fans putting them right. RTE told callers to ring Celador !

Then RTE thought Borneo was a country. That was in the same show !

It got better. or worse, depending on where you sat.
    The next week, they didn't know what a lunula was, even though that was the question. Turned out the contestant got it wrong (even though he was right). They had to bring him back the following week.

That's why we don't do quiz shows. We aren't capable.

what about the woman who pondered for an hour or so, on what answer she would give, as she wasn't sure which answer was right. They had to edit it down to about 20 minutes for tv. I think that was the nail in the coffin. Imagine sitting there waiting for someone to answer a question for that length of time. Also I don't know why gay byrne has to pop up on RTE all the time - he DID retire did he not. Can he not give someone else a chance at employment - surely he doesn't need the money. He's a smug git at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

they could do a TV version of Larry Gogan's "just A MINUTE quiz".

You could have the chair from graham norton's show (the red chair with the lever).

Each contestant has to sit in the chair and have "just a minute" quiz thrown at them. Once they get a question wrong, they get dumped off the chair, graham norton style.

A series of eliminations will eventually find a winner, who will win 9.99 (terms and conditions apply)

and just in case anyone is reading this from RTE - THIS IS MY IDEA MY COPYRIGHT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Panel was a great show. Hosted by Dara O'Brian.

I wouldn't have compared it to QI though. Its more 'Have I Got News For You', without the points, and a couple of Interviews chucked in.

Still a was a great show though, that and 'Don't Feed the Gondolas'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Is there anyone under the age of 60 who enjoys watching winning streak. I mean really? It should be phased out over the course of the next 5 years. Make something interesting with the production money that is saved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Back in the 80's we had Murphy's Micro Quizm presented by Mike Murphy. Was a pretty good show from what I remember and they used to give away cars and holidays.

There was also one that I think was on a Friday that was like charades with different contestants each week headed up by either Derek Davis or Twink (I know, I know). It was actually quite funny from what I remember of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Back in the 80's we had Murphy's Micro Quizm presented by Mike Murphy. Was a pretty good show from what I remember and they used to give away cars and holidays

what's the answer Sylvester :pac:

the best ever was "Know Your Sport"

didn't you get a mug and umbrella for winning your heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Is there anyone under the age of 60 who enjoys watching winning streak. I mean really? It should be phased out over the course of the next 5 years. Make something interesting with the production money that is saved

It also appeals to the 0-3 y/o demographic, with nice shiny brightly coloured things.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

Lemonperv wrote: »
    I like QI but imagine that in Ireland? Shudder...

It could work. David Norris could present it.

A schools quiz would be good too, something like Top of the Form or Blockbusters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They don't work here because it's impossible to get a straight answer out of anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

kingtiger wrote: »
    what's the answer Sylvester :pac:

the best ever was "Know Your Sport"

didn't you get a mug and umbrella for winning your heat

Sounds like a reasonable enough prize, sure we drink a lot of tea and we get a lot of rain.:pac:

How has nobody mentioned 2PHAT? Admit it, you all wanted that moped.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Wasn't there one recently with Paidi o'Shea a sports themed one. Saw some clips from the advertising of it never the full thing but it looked wrank. Is he the highest profile sports star we can get to host a show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

I'd watch a GAA quiz show hosted by Hector and Marty Morrissey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I think an i'm a celebrity get me out of here based in Leitrim would be a big hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Yes to crystal maze. That show was brilliant. I think they show re-runs of it on some channel. The bald guy who used to host it was the best.

Yeah but instead of the Aztec, industrial zones etc they'd just have different fields in the Irish one.

''Now would you like to go to Field A (Medium sized field) or Field B (Field with cows)?"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Yeah but instead of the Aztec, industrial zones etc they'd just have different fields in the Irish one.

''Now would you like to go to Field A (Medium sized field) or Field B (Field with cows)?"

well they wouldn't really be fields,they'd just have less rocks than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

They could give away properties owned by NAMA as prizes. One way to shift them. Now for the last question you can win a Hotel in ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

pmcmahon wrote: »
    well they wouldn't really be fields,they'd just have less rocks than the others.

Different types of gates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Years ago on the Irish version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire the contestant didn't know the answer to a question so he used his 50/50. He still didn't know so asked the audience. Something like 20% of the audience voted for the two answers that had been eliminated in the 50/50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

The dumbing down of society!

We should still have quiz shows on TV for schools and colleges/universities like University Challenge for example.

If being good at maths, science, computing doesn't become important to us as a society we will just become a nation of dummies consuming asian technology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

"Name that potato" (copyright)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bring back Where in the World :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Years ago on the Irish version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire the contestant didn't know the answer to a question so he used his 50/50. He still didn't know so asked the audience. Something like 20% of the audience voted for the two answers that had been eliminated in the 50/50.

I also remember that they had a question which asked what the capital of South Africa was and then proceeded to include Blomfontein, Pretoria and Cape Town as 3/4 possibilites. The odd thing is that South Africa technically has 3 capitals, those 3 cities. So any one of those answers would be correct,

The contestant said Pretoria and was apparently wrong, it was Cape Town. Ridiculous question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

withless wrote: »
    I'd watch a GAA quiz show hosted by Hector and Marty Morrissey.

It has already been done in Irish, but with the inspired substitution of the lovely Evanne Ní Chuillin for the not so lovely Marty.

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&aid=73&rid=4284224&tpl=archnews&only=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

MCMLXXV wrote: »

There was also one that I think was on a Friday that was like charades with different contestants each week headed up by either Derek Davis or Twink (I know, I know). It was actually quite funny from what I remember of it.

Play The Game, presented by Ronan Collins with Derek Davis and Tw***

It ran for years. I am surprised it hasn't been revived, because it must be the cheapest TV show ever.

It would be a passable Daytime Show, couldn't be any worse than the latest incarnation of The Afternoon Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

RossyG wrote: »
    It could work. David Norris could present it.
    Just no, the only thing Norris has in common with Stephen Fry is that he is gay.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 3rd level quiz, Challenging Times back. So long as that insufferable twat Kevin Myers wasn't allowed near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

I've just sent a format to RTE. It's called Look At the Head On Him and features four contestants being asked general knowledge questions. The gimmick is that at the end of each round they have to down a pint of Guinness. After a few rounds, there'll be jigsaw and other puzzles to complete and it ends on an assault course.

I've also sent them the idea for a reality show about shoemakers competing to make a pair of boots for his Holiness. It's called Cobblers to the Pope.

This time next year I expect to be obscenely rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Skid wrote: »
    Play The Game, presented by Ronan Collins with Derek Davis and Tw***

It ran for years. I am surprised it hasn't been revived, because it must be the cheapest TV show ever.

It would be a passable Daytime Show, couldn't be any worse than the latest incarnation of The Afternoon Show.

I dunno about cheap, you'd have to pay the so-called celebs an appearance fee, they don't do it for the good of their health.

Advertisement