Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siren at 4am last night

Options
  • 20-11-2012 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Anyone else hear the siren last night around the 'comer road area?

It lasted about 20 mins and was very loud.

I was thinking it was probably the barracks or else coming from the fire station but I wasn't bothered getting up to investigate!

Anyone know what was going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

PaulKK wrote: »
    Anyone else hear the siren last night around the 'comer road area?

It lasted about 20 mins and was very loud.

I was thinking it was probably the barracks or else coming from the fire station but I wasn't bothered getting up to investigate!

Anyone know what was going on?
    don't know if it was a siren but a car alarm or something was wrecking my head for bout that length of time out the kells road at 3am

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alisam

It went off twice. Once at 4 and then exactly an hour later it started again. Drove the dog mad. Would love to know what it was about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It was the army barracks siren alright. My only guess is calling the soldiers for UN duty in Israel.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tard

Apparently it was an electrical fault in the barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Heard this too. Sounded like something from a world war II movie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Was the barracks "general alarm", only ever sounded in case or extreme emergency. Last night was an issue with the electrical system apparantly .

From memory there is/was one practice alarm a year but during the day.

Wonder if any serving soldiers thought the s**t had hit the fan when they heard it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Found out what it was, apparantly some Waterford people were invading us in protest of the medieval mile and A&E upgrade in St. Luke's. Big Phil had to be evacuated.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Found out what it was, apparantly some Waterford people were invading us in protest of the medieval mile and A&E upgrade in St. Luke's. Big Phil had to be evacuated.

But surely the Courthouse would be their target today? Afterall we are "stealing" that too as well.
    Just what we need, more criminals and their families bussed in for regular court apperances, they can keep those ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

I actually recorded about a 30 sec audio/video of 'the invasion' ...just a shot of my alarm clock in the dark showing 4:51am or thereabouts.... Gripping viewing.

Will try and upload tomorrow.

No time like the present.. http://flic.kr/p/duVtBr

• Registered Users Posts: 5 StarGazerTom

I'm living just in Butler Place when this was going off. Woke me up and kept me up for ages. Thought Ireland had gotten into war or something XD or Better yet :

tumblr_m4jmk10uhr1rpvofco3_400.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Great first post Tom!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Heard on Freshford Road too. It woke me up. War movies spring to mind all the time when I hear it. Bad and upsetting experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, I heard it too, was in my da's house in Meadow Way -Scared the crap outta me, only because I thought my ears were ****ed! I would've thought everyone in thecity would've heard it! Went of times, 4.50 around 6am, then a couple of mini "Wind-ups" around 10am.

Was having a great sleep too!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kk23

why on this thread did captain havoc (sic) get thanked (liked) by six people and it was not even a comment of any remark, do i sniff something
    or was it a the size of his comment?

it was the ghost of the boot factory , boys n girls , go back to bed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kk23 wrote: »
    why on this thread did captain havoc (sic) get thanked (liked) by six people and it was not even a comment of any remark, do i sniff something
    or was it a the size of his comment?

it was the ghost of the boot factory , boys n girls , go back to bed

It was a joke. People thought it was funny. More of a local joke and some may not get it unless there clued into the overall conspiracy theories from some folk.

Advertisement