Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Fi for Xmas

Options
  • 20-11-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Looks like I have to get Wi-Fi set up at home for Xmas.. kids getting a tablet and will need Wi-Fi to use it properly.

All I have is a laptop with mobile internet, 3G with dongle. (I also have a PC but its more or less redundant)

I'm looking at a Netgear DGN1000 router in Argos for €60 and thats where it ends as I not so sure about setting up a router with mobile internet...

am I on the right track or do I need anything else, any advice on the set-up would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think that will be work with a 3G modem. You'd need a 3G Router. Assuming you intend staying with the 3G modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Thanks, I do intend on staying with 3G so I better contact them so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Who are you with for your 3g

You would be looking to purchase a 3g sharing hub, make sure you get clarification from your provider that it will suit your needs.

Sorry... I mean Three not 3G..:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

kop77 wrote: »
    Then you'll be looking to get your hands on this device

http://www.slashgear.com/three-wifi-hub-zte-mf10-review-22204107/
    three_wifi_hub_zte_mf10_review_3-580x443.jpg

However as you are probable already aware off... if all of your 3 devices are connected expect a lot of lag.

Three UK http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Devices/Modems/ZTE/MF10_Mobile_Broadband_Wi-Fi_Hub

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Either get a dovado router to plug your usb into or get onto 3 for a hotspot which can share wifi with 5 devices but its best to only share with 1 if you can, as having more than one can reduce your bandwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

you can use something like this:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-3g-router-77RW.html

you put the sim card from the 3g dongle into the router and it shares the connection as a wifi network.

Its important to check with your provider that you have a sufficient download allowance to support all the devices you want to connect as most mobile providers only give you a small allowance

just spoke to a guy in Three and they have this one..

Three_Huawei_E5331_MiFi.jpg

13 metre radius and allows up to 5 users although it will only be 2 in my house, €49.00

kop77 wrote: »

I mean I would get a 3G router not a Three Router. As if you change network in the future your router wouldn't be locked to one provider and you could still use it.

The decision then is do you get a travel one, or a a mains powered one.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    The decision then is do you get a travel one, or a a mains powered one.

Thats the thing... I'm thinking that a mains powered unit with antenna might be better than the Three unit I posted above because I've a fairly big house with a concrete ceiling and concrete walls upstairs.

I would be thinking the same.

So my router arrived today, I went for the this one...
    77RW_9371D4B4-8D47-4B2C-A4E7-930604BB1447_large.jpg

and I'm stuck, I connected it up as per the manual..

Attach LAN cable from port 1 to laptop.
    Attach USB dongle to rear of router.
    Power up laptop & router.
    Set the laptop to obtain an IP address automatically and DNS server address automatically.

and this is where I'm stuck... next on the list was to run a ping command in the command prompt to verify the network connection, I typed in the number provided and it failed,

The router lights are on to say there is a connection for each port connected but nothing... any ideas?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Right click on networks on bottom right of laptop and search for available networks. See if its in there and try connecting.

thanks.. I have Vista so I went into My Computer and Networks and the router was there, double clicked on it and it asked for the router pin number which was on a sticker under the router, it then went about setting up the network but failed each time...:(

Sorted.... I tried one more time, exactly the same as before and its working... the signal is even better than before if that's possible

Now that my laptop is working fine I'm turning my attention to my old pc which has Windows XP Pro 2002, I've gone into Network Connections from the Control Panel but no sign of any Wireless icons and also nothing on Network Tasks,

how do I check to see if its even working on the PC, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Your old desktop pc probably doesnt have a wireless card.

Can the router be located near the PC to connect the PC via the ethernet cable.
    Is the reception good enough and is the PC centrally located in the house to send a good signal to all corners of the house.

I can move the router & plug it into the PC with an ethernet cable no problem..

at the moment the router is in another room and reception is good because I'm online through the router on my laptop sitting near the PC,

the PC is in the corner of the house and plugged into my TV so I cant move it anywhere else for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Think we have our wires crossed.

I meant move the router not the PC.

If the PC is in one corner of the hose it may not be ideal as it may limit the reception of the router if its in one corner of your house you may find tablets / laptops located on the other side of the house cannot connect to it.

If you need a wireless device something like one of these:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/enetwork.aspx?search=TP-link

although its worth trying the router next to the PC first if its the only device without a wireless card.

• Advertisement

I'll probably end up getting one of those but I'm wondering if something like this would work?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-usb-adapter-77RN.html?q=tp%20link%20pc&src=16

77RN_CE4AD6C6-AF6B-43CC-86B6-9F25A32C0F23_large.jpg

Advertisement