Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juventus v Chelsea K/O 7:45pm UTV

• 20-11-2012 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

article-2235466-161F06BE000005DC-325_306x535.jpg

article-2235466-161F0E7C000005DC-686_306x120.jpg

Well its a game both Chelsea and Juventus cant lose tonight. A win for Juventus will put them in the driving seat to qualify.

They'll be 2 points clear going into a tie against Shakthar who should qualify tonight be beating FC Nords.

Chelsea will be doing well to get a draw tonight IMO, our away form is erratic at best and Juventus will need to win to go into 2nd place for the last fixture of the group as they travel to Shakthar while Chelsea play host to FC Nords.

Prediction : 2 - 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I can't see Juve winning without Vucinic. They haven't been playing that well recently. Then again, I guess Chelsea haven't either considering they lost to WBA.

I thought Chelsea were expected to start with Azpilicueta at RB and Ivanovic in the centre? There's also a lot of talk about Torres being dropped for Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I can't see Juve winning without Vucinic. They haven't been playing that well recently. Then again, I guess Chelsea haven't either considering they lost to WBA.

I thought Chelsea were expected to start with Azpilicueta at RB and Ivanovic in the centre? There's also a lot of talk about Torres being dropped for Sturridge.

The Chelsea team is anyones guess at this stage, the one mentioned above would be our strongest starting XI but that doesnt really mean they'll all start.

I've been impressed with Azpilicueta in the last 2 games so wouldnt mind him starting TBH.

If RDM wanted to shake it up he could easily go :

Cech
    Azp Ivan Cahill Cole
    Mikel Ramires
    Mata Oscar Hazard
    Sturridge

Sturridge's apce would worry must defences so that could earn him a start, I'm not confident about this game though at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

It's a tough game allright ... we could be out tonight ?

the_monkey wrote: »
    It's a tough game allright ... we could be out tonight ?

Even if we lose tonight we can still go through in the last game.

We would need Shakthar to beat Juventus and we'd have to beat Nords.

Best case scenario tonight is a draw and for us to beat Nords then we'll be guarnteed 2nd at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I expect Chelsea to sit back and play for the draw. Juventus don't seem to have the quality to unlock a defensive setup. I think this one will be decided with a penalty kick

• Advertisement

mitosis wrote: »
    I expect Chelsea to sit back and play for the draw. Juventus don't seem to have the quality to unlock a defensive setup. I think this one will be decided with a penalty kick

They done well enough to score twice from 2 goals down in London so I think they'll score tonight but hoping RDM doesnt go to negative with his selection and approach tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If Juventus win against Chelsea and draw the next game then Chelsea will be out (assuming Shakthar will get 3 points today)

When Chelsea won against Shakthar, I thought they are as good as through to the next round with one easy game.

I think Chelsea will get at least a draw today and won't be surprised if they get 3 points.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    If Juventus win against Chelsea and draw the next game then Chelsea will be out (assuming Shakthar will get 3 points today)

When Chelsea won against Shakthar, I thought they are as good as through to the next round with one easy game.

I think Chelsea will get at least a draw today and won't be surprised if they get 3 points.

Juventus definetly have the harder last games, going to Shakhtar, even though they'll be more then likely qualified they will not want to drop points.

Hoping we can at elast get a draw its all down to how RDM sets up the team and how the players react to recent poor results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

This is it tonight..

Sturridge should get his chance ahead of Torres, but not tonight IMO.

Would stick with the team named in the OP.

Im more confident than most that have posted on this thread, I think we can do the business..

Im expecting a backlash from Chelsea, it has to happen at some stage, and it has to be tonight, or we could be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Hopefully we can win but I'm not to confident that we will TBH, as mentioned, we need to step it up from the performance against WBA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Those 2 points Juve dropped in Denmark could really bite them in the arse.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Those 2 points Juve dropped in Denmark could really bite them in the arse.

If Juve were ahead on points and we had to win in Italy I wouldnt give us much of a chance but once we avoid defeat tonight we should make it through, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,077 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Juve disappointing of late, think Chelsea would be a good away bet tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

NIMAN wrote: »
    Juve disappointing of late, think Chelsea would be a good away bet tonight.

Last three games, 10 goals for, 1 against. I think Chelsea would like that sort of "disappointing"

Last three games, 10 goals for, 1 against. I think Chelsea would like that sort of "disappointing"

Ya, 0-0 with Lazio, beat Pescara 6-1 away and 4-0 against FC Nords.

Chelsea last 3, lost 2-1 away to WBA, drew with Liverpool 1-1 beat Shakthar 3-2.

I know whos had the tougher last 3 fixtures. :p

10 goals against poor sides. Played Inter and were outclassed, drew with Lazio 0-0.

Stats prove nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

10 goals against poor sides. Played Inter and were outclassed, drew with Lazio 0-0.

Stats prove nothing.

Yeah, Juve's results have been much better than their performances all season.

Having said that, Juve battered Lazio really. Only a goalkeeping masterclass by Marchetti stopped them from comfortably beating Lazio.

Supposed Chelsea team :
    Confirmed Supposed Team from Neil Ashton

Cech
    Ivan Cahill Luiz Cole
    Ramires Mikel
    Azp Oscar Mata
    Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Rumblings on twitter seem to suggest Torres will be benched with Hazard leading the line. Worrying times for Sturridge if true.

Edit: Damn you Gav, beat me to it!

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Rumblings on twitter seem to suggest Torres will be benched
    Expected really.
    with Hazard leading the line. Worrying times for Sturridge if true.

Wasnt expecting that, Moses/Sturridge/Torres can all feel short changed if the team I posted above is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Big week for Chelsea. A loss tonight and on Sunday and things are looking very bleak indeed

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Big week for Chelsea. A loss tonight and on Sunday and things are looking very bleak indeed

Yup, if we go out of the UCL in the group stage RDM will be sacked I reckon.

Dont want him to be sacked but knowing Romans tendency to chop and change RDM will be doing very well to be in a job in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

If thats the Chelsea team for tonight well then I have no doubt that we'll be beaten, you can't be experimenting so much with your team in such an important fixture. If Chelsea are playing for the draw I'd leave Torres up front, he'll offer more to the team than Sturridge, if we are playing for the win then Danny would get the nod.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    If thats the Chelsea team for tonight well then I have no doubt that we'll be beaten, you can't be experimenting so much with your team in such an important fixture. If Chelsea are playing for the draw I'd leave Torres up front, he'll offer more to the team than Sturridge, if we are playing for the win then Danny would get the nod.

I know I'd be pi**ed off if I was Danny or Torres tonight and RDM was going to play Hazard upfront.

He isnt as quick as Sturridge and cant hold it up like Torres, hes better on the ball then those two combined but for it to work our 3 players behind him have to support him at all opportunities with one twos and support runs.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I know I'd be pi**ed off if I was Danny or Torres tonight and RDM was going to play Hazard upfront.

He isnt as quick as Sturridge and cant hold it up like Torres, hes better on the ball then those two combined but for it to work our 3 players behind him have to support him at all opportunities with one twos and support runs.

I honestly cant see that been our team, but it also woudn't surprise me. RDM likes to throw a curve ball every now & then.

Won't get to see the first half due to my own training, hopefully by the time I get in we'll be 2 up and cruising :pac:

I honestly cant see that been our team, but it also woudn't surprise me. RDM likes to throw a curve ball every now & then.
    If anything I'd expect Bertie to play infront of Cole.
    Won't get to see the first half due to my own training, hopefully by the time I get in we'll be 2 up and cruising :pac:

Like the game at Stamford Bridge? :(

Hoping for an easy night but Juventus have to win tonight which could leave us open to counter them which for my money would suit Danny's pace on the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Stats prove nothing.

Juventus are top of the Serie A by four points and that Inter game was their only defeat of the season in all competitions.

Going into that game Inter had won their previous 8 games in all competitions so it's not as if it was the greatest upset in history. Inter are a very good side. The game itself - Inter couldn't deal with Juventus for the opening 20 minutes and Juventus sat back, but were still surviving despite a few Inter chances. Inter were then gifted a penalty out of nothing (shouldn't have been given at all) and it changed the game completely. The 3rd Inter goal was scored when Juve were heavily chasing the game.

The Lazio game they would have won on any other day. They dominated it and should have beaten them comfortably, but as was already said Marchetti intervened. They were also missing Pirlo.

They haven't been lighting the world alight performance wise but I couldn't have Juventus as anything other than clear favourites to be honest.

I wouldnt say clear favourites but favourites yes.

A draw will do us for tonight but really hope RDM doesnt go out trying to play for a draw, its way to risky, especially when playing a team of Juventus calibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Should be a decent game for the neutral. Last few times they played they were always good, plenty of chances each end.

Looking at that Chelsea line-up you'd almost think RDM was trying to sabotage their CL chances tonight! Risky tinkering with the team and tactics in such a big game.

Maybe he's huffing that Pep is being headhunted, and is trying to get them dumped out of the CL?

Looking at that Chelsea line-up you'd almost think RDM was trying to sabotage their CL chances tonight! Risky tinkering with the team and tactics in such a big game.

Maybe he's huffing that Pep is being headhunted, and is trying to get them dumped out of the CL?

That opinion is better served over here I'd reckon. ;)

I dont think RDM would be that stupid, if the team thats been on Twitter does line up its because he must feel its best to deal with Juventus and counter quickly.

Chelsea to win both halves 17-1 on Betfair, defo gonna have a bit of that, cant beat throwing hard earned money away :pac:

Chelsea to win both halves 17-1 on Betfair, defo gonna have a bit of that, cant beat throwing hard earned money away :pac:

I threw away a bit myself, Hazard 1st scorer in PP was 12/1. :o

Hoping for a penalty after a minute and he scores it, couldnt care about the rest of the game then. :pac:

Juventus team :

#Juventus starting 11: Buffon, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Lichtsteiner, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, Asamoah, Quagliarella, Vucinic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Chelsea (Official, UEFA website): Cech, Ivanovic, Luiz, Cahill, Cole, Mikel, Ramires, Azpilicueta, Mata, Oscar, Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Cech Ivan Cole Luiz Cahill Ram Mikel Mata Oscar Hazard Moses

Chelsea (Official, UEFA website): Cech, Ivanovic, Luiz, Cahill, Cole, Mikel, Ramires, Azpilicueta, Mata, Oscar, Hazard

Chelsea Subs (Official, UEFA website): Turnbull, Bertrand, Romeu, Marin, Torres, Piazon, Moses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

2 different lineups :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Interesting, no Sturridge at all.

• Advertisement

Jax Teller wrote: »
    2 different lineups :)

Mine seems to be corrected, seen a few different sources.

Either which way, I still fancy a draw.

Sky have confirmed its :Cech, Ivanovic, Luiz, Cahill, Cole, Mikel, Ramires, Azpilicueta, Mata, Oscar, Hazard

Anybody thiking it could be 3-5-2?

Cech
    Ivan Luiz Cahill
    Azp Ramires Mikel Oscar Cole
    Hazard Mata

Basically line up like Juventus.

Interesting, no Sturridge at all.

Injured.....apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

3421 for Chelsea ? Pretty bold to try stuff out in a game like this

Jax Teller wrote: »
    3421 for Chelsea ? Pretty bold to try stuff out in a game like this

Better then my 3-5-2 suggestion anyway. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1 G. Buffon
    15 A. Barzagli
    26 S. Lichtsteiner
    19 L. Bonucci
    3 G. Chiellini
    21 A. Pirlo
    23 A. Vidal
    8 C. Marchisio
    22 K. Asamoah
    9 M. Vučinić
    27 F. Quagliarella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

So is this game not on Sky at all then? I thought it'd be on their events center at least?

UTV/ITV HD only.

I'm just going to say it now.....Torres to get the winner. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement