Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on worming

• 20-11-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I brought my pup to the vet two weeks ago at 12 weeks to get the final vaccination and worming. The vet told me to use Milbemax to worm her every week for the next 4 weeks. I have been reading about worming and websites like vets.ie and blue cross say that you should worm the puppy every two weeks till the puppy is 12, after that every month till 6 months old and every 3 months there after. I am quite confused as to why the vet told me to worm her every week (she wasn't tested for worms and is healthy) and if it the right thing to do after all? All help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Dogs are very prone to two type of worms in particular round worms and tape worms. Unless you can gurantee you can watch your dog 24 hours a day 7 days a week you cannot monitor everything he or she will eat or at least attemt to eat and the reality is that dogs can easily pick up worms in any environment.

While you think your dog may be healthy an underlying problem with worms may not always be visable and the dog may not show symptoms until the problem is quite severe so it is best to be safe rather than sorry as worms can infect people as well. So you should treat your dog regardless of whether or not you think they seem healthy.

We use Drontal based on the advise from a number of other boardsies. Once the pup is 6 months old it should be done every 3 months. Easiest way I have found is to set a reminder on my phone so I don't forget :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Different wormers have different dosages, so maybe thats the way the Millebax works, that you have to do a course of it. If you have an issue, give the vet a ring to clarify what exactly you have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elen88

That's great advice thank you! I know how important worming is, I am just afraid that once every week for four weeks might be a little excessive for a pup that's why I wanted the advice of more experienced owners. :)

Your vet would be more experienced and qualified so they wouldnt have told you to give it that way if it wasnt correct. So just check with them to be sure.
    Pups have to be wormed every month until they are 6 months then its every 3 months so that sounds right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I am using Drontal for our pup, and he's being done every 2 weeks, I haven't heard of any pups being wormed weekly, but, has your pup had any form of worming treatment up till this point? As Andrea says, best thing to do is double check with the vets :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Usually if it's being given every week it's because the pup actually has worms, but if there is no signs of worms I would ring the vet back and find out for sure, every 2 weeks until 6 weeks, every month until 6 months then every 3 months for life is how is generally goes!

That's exactly why I have started to worry that I may be worming her too often. She was womed since she was two weeks old every two weeks and when I took her to the vet she was due her worming tablet. I asked him for it and he prescribed 4 Milbex tablets to give once a week for the next 4 weeks. I had no suspicion of her having worms and the doctor didn't test her. He just vaccinated and did a check up and said she was healthy. I double checked with him on the day but I will ring the practice again today.

Yes but Milebax might be a different dosage and programme so maybe it is meant to be done like that so best to check with your vet.

Most likely you are right Andrea, I will call him as soon as I can. Thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

its great to see your concern re your new best friend it would be great to see more like you

remember the 4 yearly doses are important as well drontal then are brilliant

a great way to remember is to worm on the first day of each season this is what my grandfather used to do with his jack russell

• Advertisement
Advertisement