Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under paid

• 20-11-2012 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I am currently employed as an Office Manager. I have been in my current position for almost a year. When I started I was on the bare minimum wage (I still am). My employer acknowledged that I was seriously under paid and told me I would get a salary increase after 3 months. When it came to that time he told me that in order to give me an increase both he and I would have to pay a lot more in tax, prsi etc just to give me an extra 200€ p/m.. So he said he wouldn't do that. He has given me some cash bonuses for example when going onholidays and when I got offered a permanent position, he said it was a small token of appreciation for all the hard work.

My concern is... I'm almost a year here now and I want to discuss a salary increase but I'm afraid he will talk his way out of it, come up with some other incentive so that he can avoid paying more tax etc.. I'm not completely educated about tax, prsi etc. I would like to know more for my own sake as I'm aware that up to now, everything has benefited my employer.. So I was wonderingwhere do I go to find out a) what salary should I be on for the amount of experience I have b) what do I do when my employer says he cannot give me an increase due to the jump in tax etc? I would like to be more informed so I can discuss it properly with him.

I would appreciate any advice! ampss!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Walking Dead forum? :confused:

Moved to Work & Jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

sound like a micky mouse company- what your boss is doing is illegal. I'd be looking to move to a more reputable company if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

ampss wrote: »
    a) what salary should I be on for the amount of experience I have b) what do I do when my employer says he cannot give me an increase due to the jump in tax etc? I would like to be more informed so I can discuss it properly with him.

Your salary depends on what you find acceptable for the work you do, there really is no way to gauge it against others.

When he talks about a jump in tax tell him your willing to pay extra tax in order to come out with more money

tbh he does sound like a joke and is fobbing you off so be prepared to call his bluff as in if he wont give you a pay rise then you are left with no choice but to start seeking employment elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

cojomo2 wrote: »
    sound like a micky mouse company- what your boss is doing is illegal. I'd be looking to move to a more reputable company if I were you.
    What is he doing that is illegal? He is paying minimum wage, and you have no way of knowing that he is not paying tax on the bonuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

This isn't the exact answer you're looking for, but the best way to earn more money is to get more qualifications and skills.

What are you currently doing to make yourself more employable and possibly earn a better wage?

• Advertisement
Advertisement