Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed: Building Simple Field Shelter

Options
  • 20-11-2012 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, guys.

We rescued two ponies with the help of the ISPCA over this past summer -- our first ever experience with equine. Their lives up until the ISPCA took possession of them was not great, to say the least. :(

They're doing fine now, but we'd really like to give them a field shelter to duck in out of the winter rains and gales (we're on the Connemara coast).

We've been trying to find a suitable (and affordable) solution for weeks now. We'd like something big enough to comfortably shelter these two and perhaps one more future pony of Connemara size. Something at least 20x10 would be required, I think. I've tried to find storage containers in our budget, but I can't find one close enough to keep transport costs down enough to fit in our budget.

We'd also need some room in a separate area to store hay. It needs to be built in such a way that it can be taken down and moved with us when we leave this house as we're only renting at the moment.

Building materials are just so expensive right now. :eek: I'm hoping there is someone out there who has a container they're not using that they would sell to us at a good price (two 20-foot containers would be perfect), or someone out there who has the skills necessary to help me build a simple shelter for an affordable cost. As we're just getting into ponies, we don't have a huge budget for all this just yet. We're just trying to do the best we can to do our small part in helping the very sad situation of equine neglect in this country. :(

Any fellow horse lovers out there that are willing to help us help these beautiful girls in having a better life? We have only about 1200-1300 Euro to spend on this right now ... and if we could somehow pull it off for less than that top-end, that would make us (and these mares) even happier! :D

Thanks in advance!

~ ryan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Try the Local Living part of Boards.ie! you never know - someone local to you may be able to suggest someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭KingOfBreifne

marley123 wrote: »

Yes, I've seen that one. I scour DoneDeal every day looking for possible solutions. 1000 Euro seems high for what I see in that photo. Pretty simple. Not even any room for any kind of storage.

Thanks, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

A friend of mine built their own. It's a three sided galvanize shelter. Just three large logs, three sheets of galvanize and that's it. There's no floor in it though so it might get very muddy but gives adequate shelter. You could just build in a partition to store hay etc.

It looks a bit like this except smaller:

http://www.lovrin.co.uk/Field%20Shelters.html

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Surely with all the out of work construction workers around you could get someone cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Those containers are gone too expensive in recent years because our export market is gone bigger than our import market, so they are in demand at the ports, etc.
    If they have a dry place to lie down they will be ok. The rain won't bother them then. It might be worth investing in a load of gravel to throw in a corner of the field. €120 maybe.
    If you wanted, you could cover your hay with some plastic maybe?

Advertisement