Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber [RTE] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Amber broke Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Skid X wrote: »
    Amber broke Boards.

She broke me......:(

I will never forgive RTE for this..........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

coolhull wrote: »
    Affs... So who took her? What happened? Is she home or not? Is that it?

Why did I even bother?

No cause for Alarm. It turned out that Amber went hard on the beer and was still recovering from a woeful hangover hence why she didnt return home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Scotty beamed her up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Leo Dowling took her!
    in his hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Flight From Death

My bet is her little brother kidnapped her so he could have her xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Maybe that goo eyes fella is holding her hostage so ben bailey will buy his knocked off booze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Now now folks form and orderly queue , the pitch forks and torches will be dispensed one per person on a first come first served basis ...... and no you my not have both :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Has to be a watery grave:
    Nessiera (sp?) garden under the sea
    drawing a mermaid on the beach
    Her replacement UV light bulb was found in water under the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Soups123

Absolutely awful programme, can't believe how poor it was for all the billing

Waste of 4 hrs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

its as if this guy watched Pulp Fiction and Taken on the same night and dreamed this pile of shocking **** up, and as usual just bill it to the tax/tv licence payer

Same on the state paid for station again! waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

Worse than 'the phantom menace'. All over the shop . Soapy nonsense pimped up with some narrative gimmicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

A slightly frustrating ending to the series.

As a piece of art, it worked quite well.
    As a piece of entertainment not as good.

I have to say I enjoyed it over all though. The non resolved ending seems to draw a parrallel with how most missing persons cases end for the families concerned. Mostly they never find out what happened to their missing loved one. There is no resolution for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 market_garden

To find out what happened we will have to sit through 4 more episodes of Amber 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

This is the deleted scene from the finale. Emma Samms is playing Amber in a last minute cast change (apologies to The Colbys)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I don't mind ambiguous endings but for **** sake that had so many loose ends and red herrings.

Why did the journalist woman visit Charlie's girlfriend?
    How did the creep in prison know what was on Amber's wall?
    How could the Guards stop Ben from flying to the Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I don't mind ambiguous endings but for **** sake that had so many loose ends and red herrings.

Why did the journalist woman visit Charlie's girlfriend?
    How did the creep in prison know what was on Amber's wall?
    How could the Guards stop Ben from flying to the Ukraine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The vast majority of people who watched the show have been sucked in by RTE’s marketing of the show and missed out on the writer’s intent. The writer has said in an interview that the story was inspired by the disappearance of a friend. The friend had been spotted on CCTV near a pier but his body was never found to this day. He didn’t really elaborate on that but it seems that it was thought to be a suicide and it was very unexpected.
    He wrote the show in the immediate aftermath of the incident. He also talked about the fallout the incident had on those closest to his friend. RTE has marketed the show as a whodunit/Where’s Amber story which I believe is contrary to the writer’s motives as he is trying to examine the effects of a disappearance which has no resolution on a family and others e.g. suicide, deportation, madness, romance, despair, acceptance etc.
    The show charts the development of the characters from a number of perspectives with the most prominent role given to the father followed by the mother, followed by the son and then you have Charlie, the prisoner, the journalist etc. The camera angles used to film are sometimes shot from a first person perspective and some scenes are repeated from different angles (at first I thought this was just filler) which drives home this point. The layered form adds to the theme as the audience are given the chance to examine the character’s development as time passes.
    Interestingly, Amber’s disappearance is purposely filmed from a long distance to emphasise the lack of connect between her and the audience; when she meets the Goth guy we can’t properly hear what she says for example and we never learn anything about the Goth as no character provides his name. There are many hints that it she may have committed suicide. Her family are very unstable. We see her mother likes to party in the first few scenes. Her father is a philanderer and egotistical. She has a fascination with mermaids and the daughters of the air. There are various underwater shots and also her bedroom is underwater. However, there is also plenty of evidence that she did not commit suicide. She only got off at that stop because she missed the earlier stop etc. Now, this may seem like a contradiction but it fits perfectly with the theme again. No one knows what has happened to Amber (we as an audience have the story pieced together by the evidence found) therefore there are a multitude of possibilities and we never get a first person perspective from her like we do the other characters. The shaggy dog storylines with Charlie and the prisoner are vital to the examination of the fallout of the disappearance.
    The show has not been about what happened Amber, it has been about the fallout as a result of the disappearance e.g. Dad becomes a “hero” by saving girl but is not allowed see his son, detective gets promotion, mother finds new man, manga boy and Amber’s friend meet etc. The audience are left unsatisfied similar to the family in real life which I believe was a brave move as the writer decided not to pack the show in a nice little package and put a bow on top. People expected a nice, simple whodunit (even though there are already plenty of these types of boring, conventional shows on TV already) but there was a lot more than meets the eye to the show in terms of its form and content.

It was even worse if that was the intention. Trite, shallow and one dimensional.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Wait STOP,where do i report a sighting of Amber? Unfortunately i am after seeing her on the plus1 station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr Boom Boom

The vast majority of people who watched the show have been sucked in by RTE’s marketing of the show and missed out on the writer’s intent. The writer has said in an interview that the story was inspired by the disappearance of a friend. The friend had been spotted on CCTV near a pier but his body was never found to this day. He didn’t really elaborate on that but it seems that it was thought to be a suicide and it was very unexpected.
    He wrote the show in the immediate aftermath of the incident. He also talked about the fallout the incident had on those closest to his friend. RTE has marketed the show as a whodunit/Where’s Amber story which I believe is contrary to the writer’s motives as he is trying to examine the effects of a disappearance which has no resolution on a family and others e.g. suicide, deportation, madness, romance, despair, acceptance etc.
    The show charts the development of the characters from a number of perspectives with the most prominent role given to the father followed by the mother, followed by the son and then you have Charlie, the prisoner, the journalist etc. The camera angles used to film are sometimes shot from a first person perspective and some scenes are repeated from different angles (at first I thought this was just filler) which drives home this point. The layered form adds to the theme as the audience are given the chance to examine the character’s development as time passes.
    Interestingly, Amber’s disappearance is purposely filmed from a long distance to emphasise the lack of connect between her and the audience; when she meets the Goth guy we can’t properly hear what she says for example and we never learn anything about the Goth as no character provides his name. There are many hints that it she may have committed suicide. Her family are very unstable. We see her mother likes to party in the first few scenes. Her father is a philanderer and egotistical. She has a fascination with mermaids and the daughters of the air. There are various underwater shots and also her bedroom is underwater. However, there is also plenty of evidence that she did not commit suicide. She only got off at that stop because she missed the earlier stop etc. Now, this may seem like a contradiction but it fits perfectly with the theme again. No one knows what has happened to Amber (we as an audience have the story pieced together by the evidence found) therefore there are a multitude of possibilities and we never get a first person perspective from her like we do the other characters. The shaggy dog storylines with Charlie and the prisoner are vital to the examination of the fallout of the disappearance.
    The show has not been about what happened Amber, it has been about the fallout as a result of the disappearance e.g. Dad becomes a “hero” by saving girl but is not allowed see his son, detective gets promotion, mother finds new man, manga boy and Amber’s friend meet etc. The audience are left unsatisfied similar to the family in real life which I believe was a brave move as the writer decided not to pack the show in a nice little package and put a bow on top. People expected a nice, simple whodunit (even though there are already plenty of these types of boring, conventional shows on TV already) but there was a lot more than meets the eye to the show in terms of its form and content.

In other words it was a steamin' pile o' sheeet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Probably one of the worst dramas ever televised. Atrocious acting - especially mother, kid brother and journalist.

A Complete waste of time and a cop out attempt at artsy ending

That previous post that the writing was "brave" not to tie up the ending in a neat bow is a towering pile of steaming sh*t. My 6 year old could have delivered that twaddle.

Complete toss...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It was even worse if that was the intention. Trite, shallow and one dimensional.

You are mistaking it for Midsomer Murders or Poirot. You wanted a whodunit, and you didn't get it. Watch it again without the expectation of a whodunit and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DrDebaser

Yeah it broke boards but didn't do much else! I'm slightly less fed up after reading post about the writers intentions, and RTE certainly didn't do themselves any favours by promoting as a whodunit . I am guessing there are a lot of viewers out there who are feeling cheated and that they could have done something more interesting with the four hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

so many plot holes in this series. we didnt even find out what happened to amber in the end..**** OFF!!! i was anticipating finding out all bloody day :(

I suppose looking at it from that angle makes it more true to actual real-life disappearances. In a lot of cases there is no closure and there are lots of loose ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Beachballz

Must be watery grave, the mermaid and lamp in pound. Chuck From glenroe played a blinder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I'm really disappointed and feel like I've wasted four hours of my life. I liked the first night, was a bit confused on the second night, more confused on the third. But I kept going because I thought it would all make sense in the end. I don't know why I bothered.

I get what the intention was with the jumping around, but it didn't work as it only confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

They should bring back Mailbag especially for this

"Dear Arthur, am I the only person confused and befuddled by the recent missing child drama, Amber? ... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Mardy Bum > Your point is 100% without merit. If this sh*t had half the attributes you suggest, do you not think we would see it?!?

Its worse that you feel the condescending need to try to convince others of an edge that simply doesn't exist here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Wait STOP,where do i report a sighting of Amber? Unfortunately i am after seeing her on the plus1 station.

Are you an illegal immigrant?

Advertisement