Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber [RTE] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Shint0 wrote: »
    Was the parallel that he, himself, was also 'missing'? We see him ringing his mother and telling her that he was in Ireland even though he had been here for a few years. So his own family were in the same situation as Amber's family, not knowing where he was and this is what compelled him to try to help her family yet putting himself at risk of getting caught.

Much good it did him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

teddyhead wrote: »
    Dont you mean a little tedious,lazy,overhyped and badly written ?

No, that is not what I mean at all. If that's what I meant, that's what I would've said.
    Different Strokes and all that.
    How and ever, I'm off to watch My Little Pony. You may like it - well written, clever, every episode ends with a moral lesson, and it has a beginning, a middle and an end, usually in that order...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

No, that is not what I mean at all. If that's what I meant, that's what I would've said.
    Different Strokes and all that.
    How and ever, I'm off to watch My Little Pony. You may like it - well written, clever, every episode ends with a moral lesson, and it has a beginning, a middle and an end, usually in that order...

I do like it and I like different strokes too:)
    Perhaps the writers of Amber might want to check out these 'simple' little tales and fables , to learn basic character development and story structure.
    'Clever' narrative gimmicks cant cover up the lack of decent characters or storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

I thought the final episode wasn't on until tomorrow until a friend rang me up to give out about how it ended.

It was like watching The Fellowship of the Ring and not bothering with the sequels, you just know there are plenty of ways it could have ended.

I'll have my tv licence refund please RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I want my licence money back, and my time, what a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,521 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had a feeling that the ending was going to be similar to this from the start.
    The ending was kind of real in a way. Often when people go missing the families /friends/general public have no idea what happened to them or where they are now all they can do is wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

thumbs up from me, the end was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Can i get a refund on my tv licence please?....i mean, what are we paying for again?....dreck like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Amber was sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

thumbs up from me, the end was great.
    ;
    so you're glad it's over and not gagging for more, and there I thought you were championing it. Such a harsh critic

I cant wait for the box set )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

deleted scene...........

Amber flashing on Parnell Street.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/51866000/jpg/_51866548_008490429-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭The Shlong

The biggest waste of time watching Amber. I blame myself more than RTE, I should have known from previous crap they described as "gripping new drama".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Just about stuck it out until the end, not quite sure how. Absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi. I only seen about 40 mins of this over the first 3 nights, I missed the last episode completely.

Can anyone give me a simple summary of the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,513 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did they run out if money and only made 4 instead of 5 programs.

I remember get slated in school for not following the basic rules of writing essays which are you need a start a middle and a freaking END

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Choochtown

... and here's another one...

The journalist woman clearly said that she hadn't seen Amber since her christianing and yet she was expected to attend her 15th birthday party!!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I think the reasoning behind writing this was a good one.
    Probably why so many of us switched on, we saw the potential for a great drama.

I feel some of the storylines were unnecessary,and took away from the main picture.
    The last five minutes were brilliant.
    There was no need to have a "happy ever after" ending, just to make this a success.

Overall, however, I was left feeling frustrated, it was rather sketchy and underdeveloped.
    Pity.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I had a feeling that the ending was going to be similar to this from the start.
    The ending was kind of real in a way. Often when people go missing the families /friends/general public have no idea what happened to them or where they are now all they can do is wonder.

That's exactly as how I took it to be, ultimately we know as much as the parents so we can sympathise with what they went through.

Not long ago people were eulogising Zodiac on the Films Forum as the finest movie of the past 10 years, another film without a clear conclusion.
    I think the writers have been brave & maybe they should be applauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Too many strands to the story were opened and then just left hanging.

Yes, they were going for the whole 'no one has a clue' idea but it was clunky. It does feel like it was wrapped up an episode early.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ted1 wrote: »

I remember get slated in school for not following the basic rules of writing essays which are you need a start a middle and a freaking END

The point was...there is no end.. She's gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If I've learned anything from watching it it's that nothing good can come from UV lamps.

Well, other than junkies can't make out veins for shooting up.

But apart from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

ted1 wrote: »

When someone goes missing like that there might not be an ending, with a lot of unanswered questions and plot holes. I'd imagine that was the intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭shannonman81

Why did Amber cross the road???

No one knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

The point was...there is no end.. She's gone

Seemingly they tried to leave it open to get funding for the second series. but at 500-800k per episode that didn't fly...sure RTE thought it wasn't worthy of putting it on telly when it was made 2 years ago! Hence they sold it to netflix

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I might have missed it but how did creepy Wicklow prisoner guy know about The Children of the Sea mural on her wall ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

i think people want it all wrapped up in a nice conclusion for them.
    real life isn't like that and it was a accurate portrayal

I guess some people don't get that , go watch friends re-runs then

• Registered Users Posts: 23,513 ✭✭✭✭ted1

BKWDR wrote: »
    Seemingly they tried to leave it open to get funding for the second series. but at 500-800k per episode that didn't fly...sure RTE thought it wasn't worthy of putting it on telly when it was made 2 years ago! Hence they sold it to netflix
    that's creative accounting...

• Registered Users Posts: 72,537 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Paul Dunne on Tubridy's show right now, trying to defend Amber...

To the pitchforks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

The maker of Amber is now talking to Ryan Tubridy on 2fm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

I thought it was a very good ending. The scene with Amber walking away in the end, to me symbolised a few things, it showed that when people go missing family, friends and guards can speculate as to what happened eg. kidnapped, sold as sex slave, murdered etc. but in most disappearing cases, nobody really knows.

I think this is what they were trying to portray with the final scene. I think a lot of viewers believed she would turn up and live happy ever after but sadly the majority of missing persons never turn up.

Advertisement